1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like Stephen King novels?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by twospiritlycan, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Who else would you recommend for reading a horror story around halloween?

2. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ive read a little bit of stephen king. Scott Sigler does really good horror science fiction novels to. My favorite one by Scott Sigler is Ancestor. These people are trying to create a common ancestor between humans and animals, for human organ donation. It also helps that one of the main characters is bisexual too:lol:

3. That sounds like a fun book to read. I'll have to check it out.

4. SomeLeviathan

I liked The Shining a bit. His revisionist history book about the Kennedy assassination was good too.

5. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It then goes horrible wrong. That's where the horrow comes in at. :badgrin:

6. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The last Horror book I read of his was "Cell" great story, bad ending. The latest one i've been reading is "11/22/63" Absolutely amazing, not horror; but great none the less. I wish I had time to finish it, I've actually been reading it for a year or two.

7. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the ones that I've read: The Shining, Bag of Bones, Hearts in Atlantis...I'd be interested in reading more. I'm not as into horror as much as I am into psychological thrillers, and some of his books do have elements of that.

8. TurtleCat

I enjoy what I've read of Stephen King but I need to read more of his works. I'd recommend Gerald's Game, that was a good one. Pure psychological horror.

9. Formality

Well I love the movies based off his novels. It, The Shining, Misery, Stand by Me, Shawshank redemption, Children of the Corn and so on. They are all really good. I never bothered reading them though, sadly.

#9 Formality, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  10. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    This reminds me I must get round to reading Doctor Sleep, my mother bought it for me a while back and I still haven't had a chance to start it. I like to start reading a new book when I know I will have the time to finish so I don't have to take a breaks and then forget where I was with it, especially with Stephen King because his novels are so engrossing.

I know it has its detractors but Tommyknockers was always a favourite of mine. SK excels at character exploration and this is especially true of Tommyknockers with its many different characters. I wouldn't recommend reading it if you aim to finish it by Halloween, however. It's one of those books which even in paperback form is 'doorstop worthy' it's so long!

11. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only book of his that I thoroughly enjoyed and finished was "The Eyes of the Dragon". Fantastic story. He should go back to writing Fantasy.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely. I wish I had more time to read all of them.

13. PurpleGrey

Oh my gawd, I love Stephen King! I don't have enough room on my bookshelf, because I have most of my favorite books. I even have the unabridged version of The Stand. I haven't read it yet, but I have it. I've read some of it, about a fifth. I need to get Everything's Eventual. Maybe for Christmas...

14. DarkestDream

Stephen King...one of the great gods of the horror novel genre. :slight_smile:

15. ArcherSterling

Out Status:
    All but family
    I've only completed one book of his (The Shining), and I absolutely loved it! I haven't been able to read Doctor Sleep yet, though, so that's a bit disappointing :C I'm currently reading It, and it's so amazing!

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The Long Walk.

Hands down.

IT, Children of the Corn, Pet Semetary, are all great, but there is something simplistically tragic, when it comes to The Long Walk.

In a future society, 100 individuals are "elected" to go on a long walk. Obviously, this is the title of the book. Anyway, these individuals cannot stop walking, when the event officially begins. They get 3 warnings -- get a fourth, you're killed on the spot. You are provided food and water at check points, but you have to grab them as you pass, because you cannot stop walking.

Oh, and you have to walk at a certain speed, too. Go under that, it counts as a warning. So, if you have to use the bathroom, you either get two warnings, or you hold it. This type of stuff goes on, until, only 1 walker remains.

When that last walker remains, they are granted a 'wish'. Basically, anything this society can provide, is your's. As the book goes along, you are introduced to characters, their dreams and reasons for walking, and so on. These characters, succumb to exhaustion, madness, or desperation, and they die.

Simple premise, but very well written.