1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

college and growing up in general?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Anongirl123

Hi guys. I've been having a lot of trouble lately with my college applications. They're going to be due soon, but I've barely started on them. I think it's because these past few months I've been more depressed than usual. I don't have the energy to indulge in things I used to enjoy, so applying for colleges just feels impossible. I used to be able to work on homework for hours on end, but as I've grown to hate school more and more, at this point in my life, even finishing one homework assignment feels like climbing a mountain. Applying for college seems like such a daunting, overwhelming task.

I have so many questions about college, but rather than turn to some college forum, I thought I'd ask here (since this is such an awesome community!). How was your experience applying for colleges? How do you make the most of it? Right now, my primary concern is finding a school with a good social atmosphere. I don't want to go to some huge party school, but I want to make friends. I've always been very against the traditional school system. For a long time, I thought college was some money making scam and I really didn't want to go. Now, I've convinced myself that going to a CSU in my area might not be such a bad idea. However, the primary thing I'm looking for is a positive social experience. I don't know how being gay will affect me, nor do I know how attending a commuter school will affect me. Bottom line, if I can't get anything positive socially from college, my reasons and motivations for going go way down. I've had a poor social experience in high school, because most of my friends have been flaky and superficial, so I'm really hoping people will be more reliable in college. I'd like to think I've come out of my shell lately - I've been working really hard and making more of an effort to see friends and contact people, but I almost feel like I've become even more guarded because some of my efforts have failed. I really don't want to become more cynical than I already am and lose the will to maintain friendships.

I feel like this is such a big milestone I'm not ready for. I'm in a massive rut right now . I really don't want to stay home for college because my parents don't get along and I feel like my home life is contributing to my lack of productivity and depression. The problem is that I'm not very independent though. I can do my own laundry and cook my own food, and I'm very independent academically because I attend an independent studies school. But I'm not very independent socially (I have no social media whatsoever), and I can't drive. This is a huge issue for me, because I feel so much shame whenever my dad has to drive me places. He guilt trips me too. All of my friends treat me like a baby and make fun of me for not having a car or a license, and it's just degrading. I feel like once I drive, a lot of doors will open up for me and that might kick start some change, but like the college apps, it just seems like such an insurmountable task.

Anyone care to share their experiences with going to college, making friends, coming out in college, and just growing up and being independent in general? I feel like you guys are the best people to seek advice from :slight_smile: . I'm pretty lost right now. I don't recall ever feeling so overwhelmed in my life. I feel like I have so many commitments and things to worry about, I've just become paralyzed.

2. zygnomic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Applying to college seems very scary, and don't get wrong it somewhat is. At first, i really had no preference for going or not going to college but my parents had always raised with the idea that "you're going to college" and the career i wanted, you have to attend college for. So I got all my applications in order, which a lot of schools have very similar ones especially if they're in the same state so the process went kind of quick once i went for. People and parents especially make is sound like a dreadful process which to me, it wasn't.

At first, i was just going through the motion, doing what i needed to do. Not really talking to people and just going to and from classes. That got boring really fast as you can expect. Now i go to a school that is known for its partying in Texas, which is Texas State University. I didn't go for this reason, i went because it is also one of the best for my major. I have never actually gone to a party though, not my kind of thing to do. There are a quite a few here but no more than others, i think that is just a bad reputation it has from a years back.
    I can't really answer to much about coming out cause i only have told a couple people, but all the ones i have told are very supporting and excepting, some of which are bi themselves. Being independent is probably my favorite part about it though, because you can honestly decide what you want to do and when you want to do it. You also don't have to worry about your parents checking in on you or anything like that with the exception of the occasional phone call. My University is extremely excepting of all people and is extremely diverse, that is one of things it is also known for. You will always have haters, but you will always have supporters too. Also we have a program here called 'Ally' and it is a LGBTQ program.

The number on thing i can suggest you do, if it is possible, is to go to the school you're interested in and take a tour or walk around the campus.

3. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey,

first off, university is great! I can study things i'm interested in, ask as many questions as i want and meet lots of like-minded people. Also, nobody cares about my lifestyle and i can express myself freely (up to a certain level of course) without anyone judging me. People are more mature and act like adults.

I just moved across the country and didn't make any real friends yet - but that's because i'm a quiet person and enjoy being on my own. There actually are quite a few opportunities to make new friends (like the university organizing events and meetups) and with facebook groups it's really easy to talk to people, so i guess you'll be just fine! I see lots of people making new friends all the time (maybe i should start looking for some, too?)

As for living on your own and being independent, it's great! Cooking the food you like, staying up as long as you want, having your own money to spend on things you like and having your own place to come home to. No seriously, I really really love having my own place :love:

However, you'll also be responsible for everything you do. Didn't do the dishes? too bad, no one is going to do that for you. Spent all your money on drinking? too bad, gonna eat a whole lot of cup-ramen the next few weeks (i'm not even joking). Didn't go to that lecture? too bad, the professors don't give a damn and you'll probably be flunking that exam.

Only after moving out did i realize just how much effort my parents put into raising me (guess i've been an ungrateful brat :redface:slight_smile:.

Unfortunately i can't give any advice on US college applications.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure about the independence part, but university is great :grin:.

I wasn't bullied or anything is highschool, but never really fit in socially. Not having many/any good friends , having over my fair share of days eating alone- highschool sucked.

For the most part I've just been myself and made a few good friends, and TONS of bus/lab buddies that I talk to on the bus or during the labs. And if anybody in particular is giving you grief it's really easy to avoid them in the thousands of students. Oh and I say for the most part because I'm still not out. But a lot of the people I talk to a neutral to LGBT+, and some are pretty strong allies. I just don't have the courage atm :lol:

So if the weird person I am can make friends/acquaintances, I'm sure you'll have no problem :grin:

5. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

I'm a freshman now. I always knew I was going to college. I knew what I wanted to pursue since I was about 12-13. I don't know if it was my h s or me or my parents ( who are both college educated ) or all of the above but there was never any problem with applications , testing , interviews , visits, etc . When I got called to my advisors office it was always routine stuff that I simply did since it was part of the retinue for college admission. All of my classes were AP ( honors courses don't translate over). By the time i was a senior I had 2 classes at school and was enrolled in 3 courses at the local state uni. I wanted to maintain myself on the roster for baseball and i had to have a minimum of h s credits during my senior year to qualify . Otherwise I probably could have graduated earlier. That was never an option for me . I received partial scholarship offers that had contingencies as they're sports based . I finally applied to 5 schools. I always knew I wanted to go here though because it's totally different from the environment that I went to h s in and it's on the other side of the country and the law school is here as well.
    I don't know why you're not getting guidance to navigate this stuff . Just make sure and do everything you need to do and take both the sat and the act . And make your advisor work for you ! And make sure your parents know how to do fasfa if that applies to you.

6. Weekender

I was in your exact same position last year. I had zero motivation for applications, and I remember missing a few deadlines here and there, much to my parents' disappointment. I had a whole roster of colleges that I'd been planning to apply to, but I only ended up applying to about four or five of them. For the most part, there was never any doubt that I'd get into my top choice.

I had been planning on going to this tiny private college in Florida because I liked the atmosphere and I figured it'd be easier to make friends in a smaller student body. But, at the last minute I changed my mind, and now I go to a university that's pretty much the exact opposite of the one I described. It's huge, and I think I've actually had a much easier time making friends because of it -- there are just so many people to meet, and there are always events going on. I had originally thought that a big university wouldn't be right for me (I'm not typically much of a social butterfly), but it's actually a great experience. Don't write off large universities prematurely.

If you can, go visit the campuses of whatever schools you're thinking about. I know that was a big deciding factor for me. Thing is, every university you visit is going to seem better than the ones you visited before it, but that's just your mind playing tricks on you. Take some time to think about it objectively before you make any commitments.

I don't have a license either, and I do get teased occasionally when people find out. But it's all in good fun. Try to take it in stride. People generally don't intend to be mean about it, but a college student without a license is a novelty. I usually just crack jokes about it, though it did make some of the initial paperwork difficult when I first arrived.

There will be people who think your lack of a license is an indication of immaturity (though they're probably only pressuring their own insecurities onto you), but remember that your reaction to their attitude will determine whether or not they're right.

If you end up liking a college with a large campus (area-wise), check to make sure they have a campus bus system first, or you'll be in for a world of pain.

Also, after you decide where you'd like to go, check to see of there are any special communities or programs that you can get involved in from the get-go. I was able to attend a special month-long program in July with about 200 other freshmen, where we took a core class and an elective for early credits. It was a great way to meet other students and professors before the influx of people came in the Fall. Besides that, I joined a learning community for the Pre-Law program -- it's basically a group of about 20 freshmen who take many of the same classes and are enrolled in one specialty class just for us. It's a great way to build a solid base of friends with similar interests, and gives me an instant group of study buddies. At this point, we've basically gotten to where we're like a big dysfunctional family. It's fantastic. If the school you end up going to offers similar programs, join them. You won't regret it.

7. Candace

*take it from someone who graduated recently*

COLLEGE.IS.AWESOME!!

You get to take classes and make friends based on YOUR interests. You're not stuck there forced to learn stuff because the government mandates that you do. You'll find a lot of different people from different backgrounds, places, etc. and you might be enlightened a lot. And guess what? You get to do what *you* want to do. Your schedule, what you want to eat, whom to hang out with ,etc. But realize that the knife cuts both ways. You have to be responsible for everything that you do and that your parents can't bail you out.

I joined a Freshman Learning Community in my freshman year. We had 4/5 classes together and thus formed good friendships. I lived in a building farther from the center campus, with two Korean roommates. One of them was born in Paraguay, thus he was fluent in English, Korean, Spanish, and Japanese too. It was awesome that I was able to have that experience with him and learn about his background and more about Korean culture (Korean food is AMAZING!!!)

Sophomore year, I was a part of a similar program called SAIL (Sophomores acheiving in life), akin to the FLC. All of us lived on the top floor of the student lofts near the center of campus (I moved there because it was cheaper housing). I lived in these lofts for the remaining three years of college. I formed more friendships with people from France, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Spain, Venezuela, Italy, Switzerland, and the Netherlands. It really made me interested in world affairs, possibly working for the UN, and wanting to go teach English abroad someday :slight_smile:. Oh yeah, a few of the foreign guys were cute though :grin: :grin:

I got to become president of the Spanish club on campus, along with joining a French meetup group that was formed by a few students. We'd hang out at a French café on campus and chat among ourselves and the Parisian owner entirely in French, which was cool. The LGBT alliance on campus was cool and it made me feel like I wasn't as weird/misunderstood as I originally thought. I got to meet some cool people there, some dating from that, along with being able to go to Pride, drag shows, and appreciate the LGBT community along with myself more :slight_smile:.

8. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a senior in college, and going through the application process again for grad school. Applying for colleges isn't fun (even less so the second time around). It's a lot of paperwork followed by a lot of waiting. But once it's over, it's done. Apply to colleges that you genuinely want to go to. Visit campus if you can and, if you're given an opportunity to visit a campus that you wouldn't normally go to, take it.

Oddly enough, most of the schools that I planned to apply to, I never actually did. I only finished three applications. I was rejected from my first choice, a huge private university and accepted into a smaller private university and a small public university. I chose the public university because the moment I stepped foot on campus for a visit (which, ironically, I had to be practically dragged on), I felt like I was home. It's a bit different here, though, because while people can commute, most students don't. I've lived on campus all four years.

I hated high school. I went to school in a small farming town. The people I called "friends" were merely people that I ate lunch with every day so I didn't have to eat alone. College...it's so much better. There are a lot more people here and it gave me the chance to meet and bond with people who I had actual things in common with. Now I have three best friends that I wouldn't trade for the world. I met all three of them in the dorms, where we all lived our first two years.

I couldn't drive when I went away to college either and I felt so embarrassed for it. I had two cousins still in high school and both of them had drivers' licenses and cars of their own. My first couple years I just stayed on campus the vast majority of the time. In the last year I no longer have a campus meal plan (and therefore have to cook for myself) but there's a grocery store within walking distance of campus that I go to once a week. I imagine in a city with a decent public transportation system it would be even easier.

9. Anongirl123

These are all such great replies! I feel a lot more at ease now. My only big fear is how I'll make friends at a commuter school. I kind of understand how the "dynamic" at dorms work, because you see it portrayed so much in films and television (everyone lives on campus, parties, hangs out together, etc.) - but I don't really get how the social scene works at a commuter school. I also worry about living on my own. I'm very torn, because I love my parents a lot and I know I'll miss them. I get very attached (especially to my mom). But at the same time, I know you can't live at home forever, and I truly don't think the environment I'm in now will help me grow as a person at all.