1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm threatening to move to London

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vampireboy56, Sep 29, 2008.

1. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told my parents that if John McCain becomes President I'm moving to London........ if i pull through. three problems
    1. No cash unless I save up....that'll take a long time
    2. No where to stay, and I don't know anyone who lives in London
    3. Where would I go to school

2. Derek the Wolf

Dude, you're 14. You CAN'T leave with out your parents holding your hands for 4 years. So chill. McCain can't be any worse than the honorable George W. Bush.

3. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    true...or as a foreign exchange student thing

4. Derek the Wolf

Studying abroad is generally only done in college. And even then it's to a country that doesn't speak your language. The whole point of those things is to learn a language and culture by immersion.
    Don't worry about politics until you can vote. That's my stance.

5. KatzInHatz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think 14 might be a little young~! I can't picture my little sister who is 14 moving out to London >.< Maybe wait 'till you can support yourself a little better or at least older.

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not to start a debate, but politics affect everyone. The laws passed and decisions made by the president have an effect on the lives of children, through their parents and caretakers. As dirty a business as politics is, it's not something to ignore.

Now, I don't think you could really move away at 14. By the time you hit 18, it will be time for another election. The best thing you could do if you want Obama in office is to encourage those around you who CAN vote to vote for him.

7. sdc91

I studied abroad in Germany while in high school, and I know lots of other people who've studied abroad in high school. Granted, most of them were to foreign-language speaking countries, but that doesn't mean you can't go to the UK, Canada, or Australia.

Studying abroad doesn't get you foreign citizenship, which you don't want anyway because 1) It's a hassle 2) You might have to give up American citizenship 3) If you have dual-citizenship, sometimes you pay taxes to both countries (although I doubt you'll make more than $80,000/year).

Anyway, that's a stupid idea. Are you going to marry or something in the next 4 years? If not, you shouldn't worry too much about the next Presidential term's stance on gay rights. Wait, you're from California so it doesn't really matter anyway. America's opinion will shift anyway. If he's elected president, at least you can dodge the draft...

8. sexyalex

i will say it again.

pssh, children today-shakes head- :shrug:

why must u think about running away without thinking of the basic eliment of life. NO NOT MONEY FOO! PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY :grin:

u can't run away and not think about how food is gonna go down ur gutt. Honey, why so thin? u won't last through the winter.

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I know so many people who've said they'll move here permanently if McCain wins!

But sadly in your case at 14 that's unlikey to happen unless your parents agree to shell out for boarding school :frowning2:

10. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    Not to push any buttons here, but I agree with Derek... why would you torment yourself essentially bashing your head against the political wall trying to change something you can't even attempt to (i.e. with a vote). Plus, I know that I probably wouldn't end up listening to a 14 year old kid on who to vote for... even if they seemed more informed than me. No offense, but that is pretty much playing off of psychology.

11. biisme

I won't flee the country (immediately) if McCain wins. But, since he's on 18 pills a day and has already had cancer twice, if he dies while in office and PALIN becomes president, I am out of here even before McCain's funeral.

12. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's foolish to say you're leaving the country at age 14 because someone gets elected into political office. You're only 14 and not going to be able to leave the country without your parents. I don't think they're going to go to London (or send you there) just because someone becomes president. It's nice to be a rebel and think about that, but please be realistic here. Studying abroad as a foreign exchange student seems like a hard thing to do. I think they offer it for both high school and college. If John McCain were to die in office, Sarah Palin would become president but I think someone would try the impeachment process or something. Hopefully we won't have to worry about all that and Obama will be elected during this difficult time. But please, think things through -- you're only 14 and can't go far without your parents.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well if it is any consolation, my Dad who is a Republican told me last night that he thinks my Democrat is going to win. McCain is screwing up big time and digging himself a bigger hole.

14. CinderELLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My aunt just got her passport cleared so she can move to amsterdam if McCain gets elected, so i know how u feel. But please, don't do anything rash.

15. davo-man

At 14, it would be pretty damn difficult to live by yourself, let alone in another country where you know no-one. That's not to put you down; I admire your passion in politics, and think that it's great that someone young (relatively) takes such an interest. Exchange is a possibility, although the youngest I know of someone doing it is 16, but yeah, definately a possibility. What I think is, stay with your parents as long as you are able. I mean, they give you food, a (I'm assuming) free roof over your head, clothing, bedding etc.

Instead of moving out, I think you should try to rally other people into voting for Obama. Are there places you can volunteer to hand out Democrat flyers/buttons/bumperstickers? I'm not sure how it works over there (In fact, I dunno how it works over here :slight_smile:). That way, you can share your passion with others and still make a difference

And as for not thinking of politics until you're 18, I think that idea is silly. That's like saying people shouldn't be interested in cars or safe driving until they're 16...or drinking until they're 18 :wink: As we all know, that doesn't happen hehe...If a person is passionate about something, I think they should be able to think/talk/take action with that passion (unless it breaks laws)...I dunno, that's just my stance

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think its horrible that we put kids behind the wheel of a car at 15 years old here in the U.S. but they can't vote until they are 18.