1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Have a Best Friend?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Do you have a 'best friend', or do you find the title silly? Some folks may even have, more than one 'best friend', too.

If you have someone who meets this criteria, what qualifies them for the role of 'best friend'? If you do not have somebody, then what would qualify them for this role?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do. But I haven't talked to him in quite awhile, since he moved for uni. But I find it's one of those things where it's not how often you talk, but how easily we "re-click" after not talking for a while, that reminds me why we're such good friends.

3. SkyDiver

I still find the title silly, but there is someone who I would consider myself closer to than any other.

This person knows me better than I know myself. She knows what I'm thinking based on my body language and knows whether something is right or wrong for me. There is hardly anything we could ever talk about that would make things awkward... there are simply no awkward moments at all. When we're together but not talking I don't feel like I need to say something, as opposed to many other people.

That's what makes a best friend, imo.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just think a best friend is a close one you trust a lot!

In my case it's kinda odd.. I have two best friends who are also best friends with each other! so it's like a weird, close friend circle. haha. That makes three cat obsessed nerd ladies. ^w^

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do have a best friend - not that it's a competition or anything. I'm lucky in that I found someone who is genuinely like a sister to me. I think that fundamentally we connect because we have the same values and outlook on life. It's nice. A lot of people have commented that they'd like the sort of relationship we have, so I guess it's something to be thankful for.

#5 Spartan 117, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  6. shinji

shinji Guest

Nope, i'm like...

"everyone who i don't care for, form a line on the left"
    "everyone i care for, form a line to the right"
    "you there in the middle, you is now my BF, you stay with me"!

Seriously though, the idea of "best friend" is stupid, how does one measure such stuff... Everyone betrays you at one point in time, so what, you go like... oh i'm just gonna go and promote this other friend to the rank of "best friend" since... logic?!

You can't generalize people like that...

7. zygnomic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do have a best friend, and also people id consider good friends as well. As for qualifications, its hard to describe but i can say this. My best friend is very trustworthy, gives great advice, smart, level headed, good sense of humor and likes a lot of the things i like.

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do have a best friend.

What makes him my best friend? I've known him for years, he and I share very personal and intimate details with each other that we wouldn't share with other friends, I can always count on him, I'm 100% comfortable around him as if he were a close sibling or something...I have other close friends, but I'm just closer to this particular friend and that's what makes him my best friend.

9. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't find the title silly, 'cause there are going to be some who I unconsciously value ore for whatever reasons, possibly circumstantial, and believe there can be multiple ones.

But yes, I do have one. Consider him a best friend since we click and relate with one another so well, even getting to know one another extremely well in relatively short time. Having a good balance of mutual interests and more individual ones that the other is still curious about. Being able to communicate regularly, as well as counting and trusting one another for support.

10. DarkestDream

I do have a best friend. His name is Petey. He's my chihuahua. His picture is in my album. As far as a human best friend, that's been slow going, but I'm sure one day I'll get there. :slight_smile:

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do. She's also my exercise buddy.

We're both gay, though she's a lot more flexible. We understand each other a lot and do stuff like giving each other lifts and dragging each other along to things as our "date." We can help each other a lot with schoolwork, because we're not strictly speaking competitors as we go to different schools. We have a lot in common, and we first became friends by giving a snide remark at the same time about the same thing. We don't judge each other; we're both equally horrible yet somehow idealistic. It's nice to be able to vent with her.

Ironically enough, we're often confused for a couple.

As for the people claiming that you can't have a best friend, I think that's rather silly. If you're closer to someone than anyone else, someone whose relationship with you is the most rewarding, then it's very easy to be able to call them your best friend. It's not a numerical scale, but it's not as if you can claim with any accuracy that people don't have best friends.

#11 Aussie792, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  12. Candace

I don't like the term "best friend". There are qualities of a friend that I love to have, but that I don't expect one person to have. For that reason, I have several close friends, 4-5 people. I don't prefer one over the other at all. One person can't possibly fill that role, but together they can.

13. Blossom85

I have a best friend that I grew up with. We met when we were about 3 or 4 and although we don't talk a lot anymore, I still consider her to be my best friend. My sister and cousin are also my best friends too.

14. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have two best friends that I've had since kindergarten. The last time we had a real serious argument was in 6 years ago and it only lasted a day. I was being a dick to one of them, but it turned out she was only overreacting because her parents were going through a divorce and she was depressed. Since then we've always been on good terms. People tell us that we're blessed to have found each other and stuck with each other for so long. Everyone says they never had friends from kindergarten that lasted that long.

15. BiCatholicBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best friend is my buddy from college, who is now a teacher in Indonesia. I saw him the week before he left the country, and it was like I teleported back in time to the very last moment I'd seen him. I know how to push his buttons, and I could pretty much do anything to him and he'd still show me grace and forgiveness. I used to joke that he's the only guy I'd forgive my wife for having an affair with because he could do no wrong in my eyes. He even showed up on my honeymoon, and we bought matching underwear. (He says he's totally straight.) I've also smeared Nutella across his chest with a spatula one morning while he was sleeping in. I don't think any of my other friends could have forgiven me for such an odd prank.

16. LaLaBelle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have a friend that I'm close to... I used to have a best friend... She might still consider me her biffle (BFFL), but I don't know... We haven't talked in years.

17. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Mostly I trust no one.

There's a guy whos been my best friend for almost 14yrs now.. He has been my only best friend in the world!
    And he lives in the US but we connected somewhat. He's been married and he still care for me

18. littlemonster11

I don't think the title is silly, personally. For me, there is a big difference between "friend" and "best friend". You have to earn the title of being my best friend.

That being said, I do have a best friend, and I love her to pieces. :slight_smile:

We haven't talked in a while, as she just started college that's like 3 hours from the one I attend. We try to talk on average once a week, although we didn't get to talk this past week.

Anyway, she qualifies as my best friend because, she's the only friend I've had (and still have) that I fully trust. And that's a hard thing to do with me.

When we hang out, and neither of us have anything to say at the moment, we can just be there in comfortable silence. And when we do have conversations, they're always meaningful somehow.

We're an odd pair, according to other people, but I think otherwise. I'm sure it had to do with our "age gap" (3 years). She was a freshman when I was a senior, in high school.

I could go on and on about her, so I'll stop here. :lol:

All in all, I'm genuinely comfortable with her, and that's why she's my best friend. :slight_smile:

19. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I do, and I ABSOLUTLY love her! She is my support she's the only one who I feel I can cry around, she's the only one who feels she can cry with me. I haven't talked to her in about four weeks. Although when we talk it's usually for a whole day all over the city. This girl has been with me and dealt with and helped me with all of my crap. Something I'm very grateful for, she was a big supporter of mine when I came out to her. I've always been one to throw the word "best-friend" around but despite it all, I consider her my best friend. Yes we've had our ups and downs but I admire her because she trusted me with something that she had hidden from the world for 6 long years. She's one of the only people who, I have never said, I loved and yes I use the word a lot especially with my close friends but I don't know, I just don't feel I have to tell her because I know she knows. She was the first person who knew of my sexuality and it was thanks to her that I am who I am now. She always said, me being gay was only a small part of who I was. Something that means so much to me because it's true, I'm gay but that doesn't change me, who I am and she's the one who made me see that. When I'm with her we talk about EC and my life and I guess I just vent and we talk and it's in part because of her that I can go so long without showing an emotion that isn't happiness, she's played such a huge role in my life, a role I didn't think she would fulfill when we first met in sixth grade. So yes, I do have a Best friend. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: her name Christina :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: