1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your best/worst experiences on LGBT forums?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ForNarnia, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What it says on the tin :slight_smile: I'm new to the forums, and I was wondering what the best and worst experiences you've had on them are (!)

2. Kristina5

I have only been here short time and have only found great support from several people already! has made me feel great!

3. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am newbie as u are
    Hopefully I will not get any bad experience on EC. Instead Im hoping probably Im gonna meet someone here who could be my life partner.

4. Blossom85

I have only had really wonderful experiences on here so far, I have everyone to be so supportive and wonderful and just amazing.. I have had some bad experiences on another site I can't mention, however it was just difference of opinions on some matters and I don't always feel like I belong on that particular site, I do however feel like this is my second home here at EC.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

With this forum directly, I have had only one bad experience. I'd say two, but the second one, was just kind of petty and silly -- it wasn't worth it then, and it isn't really worth it now. But that first experience was taken care of, because the individuals involved, were either all banned or stopped logging in regularly. Well, except one, but they maintain their distance.

With other forums, nothing special. You run into trolls, attention-seekers, and those who use the forum to vent on, with no regard for the individuals who also use it. And, sometimes, you have staff members who let their e-authority go to their head, and little scuffles happen. Throw in some classic e-drama, and, well, you have about every online forum, ever.

As far as I can tell, it's good company here. Of course, there might be three or four individuals, who are a little blunt or a little harsh, but they aren't going to intentionally hurt you. You just need a little thick skin, is all. Lol.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Honestly I havent had any bad experiences on ec and I dont go on other lgbt forums so I'm gonna open this up to forums in general and say the worst experience I had was either being temporarily demodded and banned from my Old Site, or being violently attacked with hateful homophobic slurs on there. Both incidents depressed me quite a bit

7. antibinary

I signed up here to meet other people in the LGBTQIA+ community. It's great.

8. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

This is the only one I have, I did make an account on a gay gamers forum, but the layout is horrible. EC is the best forum I've joined. :thumbsup:

9. tulipinacup

Kinda want to go on this forum, tbh.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Forums. Plural, lol.

If you haven't experienced any of that, and you've been online for more than a day, well, consider yourself, either, very lucky or very sheltered. Because, 90% of any online community I've been a part of, or joined, tended to have one, or more, of those previously described things going on. The other 10% were either dying, so, the more dedicated and sensible members stayed, or the community had just started, so, there wasn't much to go on. Finally, also included in that 10%, are those genuine forums, with dedicated and focused administration, who don't tolerate nonsense or maliciousness.

I'd say, EC, falls into that last part. It runs efficiently enough.

11. Candace

I think the "worst" experiences would have to be just dealing with annoying people, but I wouldn't necessarily call those horrible experiences at all. The best experiences include when I get asked about my day and I realize that I can be myself and be loved by so many people for just doing that (along with the fact that I don't feel so strange or like an outsider as a result). :slight_smile:

12. tulipinacup

Lol, I've been to other forums but it isn't catered to the LGBT and my god everyone gets all heated up when it comes to scandalous topics which forced a lot of members to quit,lol. You are right about EC, I think members here as well as the mods are really nice in general...in fact too nice:dry:

13. Kiyohime

Kiyohime Guest

This is the only LGBT forum I've ever been on. So far it's been a pleasant experience, but then again I've only been here for two days. For the most part, this seems like a very supportive forum.

I've used a depression forum before, but they weren't quite as nice. I ran into way too many homophobes, so it wasn't really the place for me.

14. RAdam

EC is an awesome forum but I just wish there was a Dutch alternative for EC on which I could locally talk to people with the same culture, thoughts and language! Support from people across the world just feels so distant for some reason :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

15. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is the only LGBT forum that i've been on and it's been a pretty cool experience, helped me out more then anyone thinks

16. qwer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are not many local choices for LGBT in Hong Kong. Most of the forums for lesbians are abandoned. I used to visit blur-f.com everyday but it was shut down by the site owner a few years ago. After a while, the site owner posted a image which includes "2013 blur-f.com" (forgot what the exact words posted:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) on the site again as if it'll be reopened on 2013, but still nothing happened till now.... I guess that's my worst experience on LGBT forums as I've been looking forward to the reopening for a year and it's like being cheated when I saw no updates at the end of 2013 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

EC is the best LGBT forum I've ever been. Most of the members' comments are constructive and encouraging and the information provided are comprehensive and useful.

17. QueerQueen

I have only had good experiences on lgbt forums though this is my favorite. The first forum I was ever actively on wasn't directed to lgbt people and there were a lot of trolls on there who would sometimes negatively talk bad about the community mostly just to start trouble.

18. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I haven't been on any LGBT forums besides this one.

One negative experience I had on here, was the time someone posted ignorant hate on transgender people, invalidating our identities. I called this person an asshole, and the mods proceeded to scold me for that, rather than the guy who was hating on Trans people in the Gender Identity thread.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My best and worst experiences have been here on EC.

My best experiences have been the core friendships I have been able to sustain here. I have met some truly wonderful people who understand and care for me (I won't name names here, because I don't want anyone I might miss to feel left out) despite my "unique personality qualities."

My worst experience was the time an EC member said something so cruel about bisexuals that I bawled my eyes out for like, 15 minutes. :frowning2:

20. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's pretty much forums in general. You make an insulting statement about an entire group of people--fine. You say a "swear word"--you're a monster. I've seen it happen on other forums plenty of times.