1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Non-US Users: Your Opinion On America?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EDMJunkie, Oct 28, 2014.

1. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, so I kinda have this phobia that if I ever travel abroad, I might be judged or messed with, simply because my nationality. I'm really insecure for some reason about how other people view America, and by extension, me. Honestly, I'm kinda embarrassed. So if you could give me your opinion on Freedom Central, it would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to discuss things like foreign policy and other touchy issues as well.

Thanks! :smilewave

2. Isa

Isa

I've dealt with Americans through work a lot, i've been in the states and i've had American friends in my country and met random Americans here. Nice bunch of people overall. Most non-Americans with some common sense probably knows that an American abroad isn't a representative for the whole country and its politics or whatever. So, don't worry about travelling outside of the states. :slight_smile:

3. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, that helps a little. :lol:

4. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, we poke fun at Americans a lot. But that aside, I've been to the States once, and I can honestly say that from my opinion, the United States of America is one of the greatest places I've ever been to. People were generally nice to me when I visited.

Most of my American mates in Saigon are quite charming as well, very nice and none of them are Star-Spangled Banner waving ultra-nationalists.

The only thing I would say is that Americans in contrast to my British mates are a little less comfortable with my black humour which often makes fun of serious issues, but I think that's a cultural thing so you're good. c: Nothing to worry about.

5. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, people here get offended way too easily. But thank you!

6. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I don't like America much, to be honest, and I don't feel like ever visiting.

Mind you, I've met enough nice Americans to know there are nice people over there.

Doesn't change the fact that I'll always go " 'Murica, fuck no! " whenever Americans wave their silly extremist patriotism in my face, while being one of the most rotten countries on this earth regarding so very many topics - Which I will admit, is hard NOT to be with such an extremely diverse and huge nation.

7. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for sharing! Those redneck jackholes aren't worth a dollar(Which means, according to the exchange rates, that they REALLY aren't worth a Euro or British Pound).

8. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lol, they just give me the stares when I make a joke about abuse and drugs. They stare at me like I have a camel-toe or some shit...

9. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Ye, I forgot to mention how silly I find the fact that the "average" American is so very prude and easy to offend. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You two would fit right in with me and my friends. We joke about everything all the time.

A recurrent topic is Ebola and how everyone in the US is tripping balls about it.

11. I'm not foreign, but my Canadian and Australian relatives would often make light jokes about the U.S. They don't mind visiting, they just face a strong culture shock.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's alright, and I don't partake in this habitual America bashing that seems to be prevalent.

13. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, thanks for the replies! This helps with it a little better.

14. AlexTheGrey

Tripping balls. Can't say it any better than that. :lol:

15. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience British people wouldn't judge you badly because you came from America! :slight_smile: Fundementally, everyone everywhere loves an accent, right? :wink:

One of my close friends is from America, Tennessee actually! There wasn't really a culture clash- we all love him!

16. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    We are welcoming all american here. In fact, there are so many american or foreigners move into here and stay permanently

17. Formality

There are a lot of things that I don't like about America. For example, how your healthcare works, the lack of a safety net, all the freaking republicans, the extreme patriotism/nationalism, how the government intervene internationally where they have no business getting involved. And the christianity, don't even get me started on that. The lingering racism, the lgbtq-phobias, the atheism-phobia, the sexism and gender roles, the broken justice system, the gun laws.

I've only really met a few Americans, and they've all been really nice and good people. What I'm saying is, though America come of as a somewhat horrible place, doesn't really mean much. I think most people would look at the individual rather than judge them based on whatever general idea one might have about where they are from. People might judge you based on the actions of the U.S government or actions of other people in your country, but you shouldn't care about what those people say because you like I can't be held responsible for a whole country. And those people who generalize aren't worth spending time on, so if I were you I'd just let it go. :slight_smile:

Ps. No place on earth is perfect and there are plenty of worse places to be than America.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least where I am, nobody has nationalistic fervor. Sure we wave the flag and sing the natl. anthem in front of sports events, but that's about it. Nobody honestly thinks the US deserves better than anyone else. Most of us are extremely disillusioned with the government as of late and it's only our ideals that people still believe in.

It is good to hear that the America-hating is mostly an internet thing hehe. And Formality, I know just enough about your country to know I badly want to visit. :grin:

19. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the rate things are going down over here, I might just join him. :help:

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2014 at 08:44 PM ----------

I think I just found my intellectual doppelgänger. :slight_smile:

#19 EDMJunkie, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  20. Gen

Gen

It is truthfully the baby-boomer generation that secured this stereotype of American patriotism and ethnocentrism. Each generation that come after than has become drastically less patriotic. In fact, I have no doubt that in you polled how the current citizens under 30 viewed their nation around the world, the average below fifty American would rank far lower than most. But old stereotypes never die.