1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before you came out, did you ever drop hints about your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MintberryCrunch, Oct 28, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before you officially came out of closet, did you ever drop hints or let certain things slip on purpose just to see how people would react to those things? How effective was it?

For example, in high school, my best female friend used to play a lot of Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana songs, and she knew I liked them. At one point, she made me a mix of her songs and the mix was discovered by a friend of mine in my track practice bag. I could've said I made it for a friend and was gonna give it to her, that it wasn't mine, but instead I told the truth about it. One guy even said "that's pretty gay, Everett". lol. I considered it an early test to see how people would react to stereotypically gay things about me.

I also said things about good-looking guys, agreeing with my straight female friend's perspectives ("yeah he is attractive", "If I were gay, I'd make out with him.") :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Still, interestingly enough, no one actually used that to make a definitive statement about my sexuality!

2. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never did consciously, but a lot of my friends thought it cause i overplayed all of my girl crushes, and accientally was caught staring at random guys in my school by them. So i dropped hints without actually meaning or trying to.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

*gender (and with that, sexuality too I suppose)

I suppose I did, though not usually intentionally.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't feel like I did, but I was bullied in jr. high school and called "most likely to be in a boy band" for my senior yearbook. It was their way of saying most likely to be gay. They were half right...

5. Mickz

According to my Gay friend, I drop hints about it a lot. I deny it full hearted... Is that a girl? :eusa_droo :lol:

6. TheStormInside

I'm far more relaxed about giving "hints" than I used to be. I feel like for a long time I unconsciously policed myself to make sure I never said anything that might let on I might not be entirely straight. Since I've started coming out I'm much more lax around other friends I plan to tell eventually. I'll agree that a particular woman is attractive if a guy mentions it, or be more open about a female character I have affection for. And I feel less like I need to play up the guy "crushes."

7. Chief Beifong

This one friend of mine (not come to her yet) is obsessed of the idea of me being a lesbian. If she actually notices, I never said i'm not... I'm just waiting for her to notice. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really out, but I do kind of drop some pretty overt hints to my friends and family.

9. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    People always ask if I'm a lesbian, so I guess I must. I am known as the 'Jack Harkness' of my friendship group, because they think I could get with anyone, and they all say I'm most likely to be gay. I don't think I drop hints at all, but it must be pretty obvious. :/

10. Candace

Not really, but I never actually talked about girls, and I liked a lot of things that weren't necessarily "masculine" per se. I think a lot of people guessed about my sexuality even before I decided to come out.

11. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No one really knew until I came out to one of my close friends... But I've always thought my preference for clothing that covers up most of my body instead of shorts and flip flops constitutes as a sign of homosexuality or lack of confidence and insecurity in my masculinity.

But as of now, a rainbow wristband, it's not a pride thing, but it's a sort of... gaydar device for me, so that other boys can detect me. Though so far... it's failed, it's only attracted women who need relationship advice...

12. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    All the time.

13. Justinian20

I managed to never ever drop hints to my sexuality by acting very much like a straight man is supposed to act. I never showed much emotion and managed to supress my feelings for all my school years. I never liked girly stuff, but I did let myself express some feelings around girls, and for whatever reason, some guys including the most introverted guy in the entire school told me some of their secrets. Probably because I was not social at all and only had about 3 friends in the entire school.

14. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

My friends at school. They were a bunch of guys so we would talk about which celebrities we thought were hot.

15. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I apparently did before I knew it myself :0

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, in our high school doing that would have meant being bullied to the point that suicide felt like the only option. So we queers were very silent on the matter.

17. ChameleonSoul

Not really. I never really talked about girls at all, but according to those I've come out to I never really did anything to set off people's gaydar. Now I really don't try to hide it as much because I'm at the point where I really don't care who knows anymore.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I haven't, but I would love too

19. greenunicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah I get carried away when I ship to girls together in stuff. So I tend to be like "Look at them, *insert straight friend's name here*, LOOOOK THEY'RE PERFECT!!!"
    Also one time when me and my dad were watching this thing that had...a lot of gay subtext I was sitting there trying to hide that I was shipping this really hard when my dad just said "Are you gay?" to the character and I replied with a
    "YESSSS!" That was awkward, but hilarious.
    And I used to (still do) tend to talk about my crushes...a lot and my parents would be like "Yes we get it you think she's amazing can we eat our dinner now?"
    ........Ok now I see why my dad guessed it so easily............

20. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't in HS, because I was afraid. In college, yes, some, but that was a less homophobic environment.