1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An apology to the children of tomorrow

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Damien, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    'Children Of Tomorrow'

Children of tomorrow
    I apologize to you
    On behalf of those in my time
    For the things we didn't do
    We didn't stop the tyrants
    So your fate could be prevented
    We watched them steal our freedom
    By our silence we consented
    We didn't choose to circumvent
    The doom you've not escaped
    While the Bill of Rights was murdered
    And the Constitution raped
    Some of us were lazy
    Others too afraid
    To think about our children
    The ones we have betrayed
    I guess we were too busy
    To be concerned or care
    To try to ease the burden
    Of the chains we made you wear
    We could have been good shepherds
    When the wolf got in the fold
    But we watched the flame of freedom die instead
    And left you cold

I'm sorry we were timid
    My selfish generation
    We left you but a remnant
    Of a free and prosperous nation
    I'm sorry for our actions
    Like cowards we behaved
    We could have left you freedom
    Instead you are enslaved
    Children of tomorrow
    Descendants of our land
    I'm sorry we allowed this
    The fate you now withstand

- Anonymous

#1 Damien, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. Ryujin

We're not that bad

3. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

And always so very focused on that nation called America...
    Speak for yourself. Europe isn't doing too bad. Don't be so narrow-minded.

And I'm doing my part to help create a better world and life for the next generation.
    This is just very gloomy doomsaying.

That aside, it's a decent poem. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Ffs , lmfao .....# tripe

5. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We are indeed not that 'bad', but you have to admit, compared with our ancestors who were willing to put their safety or even lives on the line, for the sake of freedom, we seem, collectively speaking, a little lacking in courage.

6. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Not this generation, maybe previous :lol:

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2014 at 01:13 AM ----------

Ancestors in which era ???

7. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty sure it was written by an American. I could write exactly the same kind of thing about my own country Australia. Except that here, we don't have a Bill of Rights to trash, so our govt is finding it even easier to remove our freedoms, privacy, etc.

I'm not just singling out America. Don't jump to conclusions. This is an issue affecting all of us. And I did not write this poem...I thought I made that clear.

8. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Was this written by Charlie Chaplin?

9. Ryujin

Which freedoms are being removed?
    Feels to me that the EU is trying to make European citizens more free.

10. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

I have a good idea . Lets have some sort of armed/violent , mano/mano , chemical/bio warfare type situation involving the usa and some other "god-fearing" nation ( australia comes to mind).
    So , at least in amrika , us dudes can prove to the previous generations that we have the balls to wage war.
    Lemme run out now and get a flag and the bill of rights tatted on my arms.

11. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

It's still being a doomsayer, ignoring all the good that is happening in the world.
    I realise it's hard to think of the good developments on this earth when all the news and media bombard us with are tales of death, hate and destruction.

But that does not change that fact that losing optimism, and an eye for the good that is happening will do more to bring us doom than any of the horrible news altogether.

And quite frankly, I think certain parts of the world are doing quite well, apart from politics. But modern politics -never- did any good.

12. Gen

Gen

Considering the fact that poetry is rarely ever created to express the views and perspective of the poet themselves, I don't see how the references made within this work towards the constitution or Bill of Rights could be perceived as narrowminded. Especially since aside from specific terminology, any member of this thread who feels that their country doesn't also have a significant hand in the injustices being carried out of a worldwide scale, politically, environmentally, internationally, etc, are profoundly deluded.

For those claiming it modern society isn't that bad, despite the fact that we certainly aren't much of any good, I seriously recommended becoming more familiar with subjective and hyperbolic nature of a large portion of the poetry genre, both classic and modern.

13. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Oh but you are wrong, Gen.

I regulary write poetry for the sole reason to express my views, perspective and emotions.
    The idea that it actually wasn't written by Damien himself never crossed my mind at that moment.

While I'm aware of the inhumanity of humanity and the "injustice" carried out all over the world, I will never abandon a positive attitude and optimism.

For all the horrible things humans do in this planet every second, have been doing ever since we existed, there is much good that is happening. Denying the positive developments that DO happen is pure pessimism, and I -hate- pessimism. It's not going to do anyone any good, ever.

14. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

May i suggest rereading your first statement ; analyzing it and explaining the premise for it.
    "Rarely ever " ?

15. Gen

Gen

I'm uncertain which part of this post stated any reason why anything that I have stated is "wrong".
    It is perfectly fine that you choose to maintain that view, but a lack of optimism is not a valid criticism of a world of poetry. Poetry is notoriously pessimistic and critical in a traditional sense because the average poem is meant to express a specific view or paint a specific picture. Of course, this is good in this world, but exactly as your poetry might carry an optimistic outlook, others might carry a pessimistic outlook.

Not to mention, the automatic association of critique to negativity is far to common. You don't have to be a pessimistic to call attention to the ways in which humans have failed themselves and the planet they live on on various accounts. You can still believe in the good in humanity while recognize the detrimental aspects of our current actions and existence.
    What exactly would you like me to elaborate on? I see no issue with the analysis and explanation that I have provided.
    As in seldom, infrequently, not often, etc.

16. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I'm sorry if this comes off as rude, but it's 03:23 here and I need to get some sleep, but I'll answer that one bit of your post:

You stated:

That's wrong.

I dare say that poetry is rarely ever created to express something other than the views, perspective and emotions of the poets themselves.

I'm one example, and I know many, many others.

It -is- a false claim to say that poetry is rarely ever created to express the views, perspective and emotions of the poets themselves.

Also, poetry is personal, or at least it should be. For every negative poem, there is a positive one. For every dramatic one, there is a lighthearted one. It's quite the balance. I don't -get- what put the idea of poetry being notoriously pessimistic and critical in your head. Need I suggest some great poets of past and present times to prove you wrong, and brighten your mood?

I'll try to get to the points of your post once I wake up, if I haven't forgotten by then. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#16 Black Raven, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  17. Gen

Gen

Wow, well that was honestly just a typo. I must have left out the 'other', otherwise it would completely contradict everything else I have said. On that point, I do apologize for the confusion.
    The overwhelming majority of classical poets wrote almost exclusively with critical and pessimistic undertones on the topic of mankind and human life. Which is exactly while I spoke of poetry in a traditional sense being critical and pessimistic. You can absolutely re-read my post, but at no point have I expressed a negative view of optimistic literature, poetry, or perspectives. My comments were directed towards those who claimed that the voice of the poem was "too pessimistic" to be valid, when traditional poetry was popularized by individuals who sought to point out the flaws of human society.

It would be illogical to claim that there aren't any poets that make efforts to instill optimism, nor are their words inherently any less respectable, which is why I haven't claimed either; however, there is simply equal (though I and many would argue more) value in critical, pessimistic views of mankind in poetry and literature. Not to mention, this is a work of poetry, not a rhetorical essay. Expressing equal amounts of both outlooks is not necessary, or even common. You have admitted to favoring optimism yourself; however, there would be many others who would find that viewpoint to be very naive and unrealistic. Their grievances don't invalidate your personal views anymore than your attempts to maintain a "optimistic outlook" invalidate the truth that can be found in a piece such as the one posted above.

I am all for harsh criticism; I have been known to be a bit of a critic myself. It is merely comments such as "Humanity isn't that bad!", "This ignores the good in the world", etc, that don't stand as valid arguments when analyzing this work on its own. Every literary piece is not meant to be full of sugar and rainbows, and there is much to be, no matter how cynical, about those who call attention to the aspects of society that need to be recognized. It is not as though humans don't already have a tendency to fixate on the goodness of themselves and their societies rather than acknowledge the harm that their very way of life continues to cause.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Children of tomorrow,
    Let me speak to you,
    Tell you what to do.

Politicians lie,
    Minorities die,
    But you can stop this,
    By refusing to idly stand by.

Wars fought,
    Loyalty bought,
    But you can end this,
    By refusing to disregard thought.

Freedom isn't guaranteed by paper and pen,
    It's the strength you possess, that comes from within,
    To love more than each and every sin,
    To be kind and caring from start to fin,
    All that matters is not why, but when.

Time waits for nobody,
    No matter if you cry or plea,
    Life spares nobody, not even me.

Fear divides and separates,
    Embrace hope and raise the spirits - levitate.
    Talk that tone of despairing negativity,
    Want everybody to feel useless and itty bitty,
    Makes me want to pity, everybody, from country to city.

But I stand defiant,
    Because I ain't fuckin' havin' it.

Not bad, for half-assing it. The point is, I wanted something a little more optimistic, LOL!

19. White Knight

Pfft... How about doing something starting from today instead of writing whiney useless poetry.

20. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My reaction exactly :rolle: