1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Handle Success?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

A bit of a twist, here, from a previous topic.

Basically, how do you handle success? Are you humble about it? Do you gloat, and feel incredibly proud about it? Do you let it go to your head, or your heart?

2. Blossom85

I am really shy about being successful in anything and although I do like to tell my family and friends when i have been successful, I usually blush and go quiet as when others are praising me for my good work. I just feel like I am just doing a job I am given or doing something that I enjoy so I don't relish in it as much as I possibly should.

3. Yosia

I will be happy about it but i will just live as that, i am not one to gloat at all.

4. Hexagon

Most of what I succeed at is easy to me, which means it has relatively little value. When I succeed at something difficult... I'm not sure how to phrase it. But I feel as if viewing something as success is to say there is nothing left to achieve. That certainly isn't true for me now, and I don't suppose it ever will be.

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I must admit I am guilty of being much too prideful.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to be humble. Although I secretly (maybe not so much anymore) like SOME recognition, and sometimes it'll go to my head, but outwardly it won't seem that way.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Generally I get really excited about it, but I don't think I gloat about it.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I generally refuse to accept it and focus in on improving any outlying weaknesses that remain.

In other words, as far as my mindset is concerned, there is no such thing as "success" for myself. Improvement is always required.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It depends, on what I succeed at.

If it is something, only I wanted to excel at, then it tends to be a quiet, even dull, response. It instills pride, but it comes off, more as expected, and less as exciting.

If it something, that succeeds, because of my part in, say, a group, then, I can be a tad more boisterous. I won't scream my accomplishments aloud, but I'll make sure, in some manner, to let the group know, how essential I was.

If it is something, that I succeed at, and it happens more spontaneously, then, I'll get a bit cocky. Nothing along the lines of, talking down to another, but I'll just feel more energetic. It can be nice, in a surprisingly pleasant way, to do well at something, that you have never trained for/prepared for/expected to engage in.

That said, there is one special exception.

If I am called out, or I am in some kind of competition, and the opponent is being pompous or imbecilic, then my handling of success, changes.

I have a difficult time, turning down a challenge. Especially if I am confident enough, in what I am being challenged to. I take a sort of joy in knocking others down -- hear me out, on this, though. Years ago, it was to boost my own ego, but as of the past few years, it is to humble the obnoxious or arrogant. Sometimes, you even make your point, then walk away, as totally beating somebody does less, than wounding somebody's pride -- you let them live with a choice, of turning themselves around, or to accept what happened as a reality check, and they wither away.

Besides, if you come at me, 101% percent, it would be disrespectful not to return the favor. If I succeed or fail, I want to know I have no excuse, as to why it happened, the way it did. It is the same, towards my opponent, because nothing is more annoying than, "Aw, well, uuuhhh... if only I'd ___ or ___", "It wasn't my fault, because ___", or "I wasn't trying, so, it doesn't count!"-like remarks, when having some kind of competition.

To sum it up, I handle success better than failure. Mostly due to, kind of expecting to succeed at something, if I put in the effort, time, and knowledge.

#9 Kaiser, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to play it down or, if I talk about it, I mention how much work and how many hours went into whatever that was - good grades, following through at work, etc. For the latter, I breathe a sigh of relief that the hard work paid off. I don't have a stratospheric IQ or anything like that, so the reality is that I do have to work a bit harder at most things than those who do.

11. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm Humble about it but there's a little part of me that wants at least some acknowledgement of my achievement.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, I'm kind of pretentious and think I can do anything if I believe I have the skills to do it. It's like I think it's a self-evident demonstration of my capability, so I usually don't brag about it or tell most people unless they ask.

13. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh man, I'm terrible when it comes to success. If I ever achieve anything I generally pass it off as either luck or average. I tend to stress the importance of my failures more than anything else.

14. Dented

Wonder how the hell I actually managed to achieve something, write it off as a fluke, then go back to assuming I'll fail everything.

15. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends what it is. If I'm running for a team, I'll just do a slap of the patch or logo after crossing the line. Test or homework/paper figure it's just a fluke and put it up on my fridge:grin: I don't tend to have success in other things:lol: