1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of dress shirts do you like?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Oct 30, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

You may or may not wear dress shirts often, but when you do, do you have any preferences? Collar style, material, color, cuff style, etc.

---------------------------------------

I personally prefer 100% cotton shirts; there are few things worse than wearing a polyester dress shirt in the hot Texas heat :lol:. As for collars, I prefer either a spread collar or oxford cloth buttondown (OCBD) shirt (with its eponymous button down collar). I prefer colors that are usually the more traditional like white, blue and pink; colors I will probably never wear are solid black, brown, and red (for some reason, I hate those colors in dress shirts, especially when worn with a suit and tie). I also really like "banker's collar" shirts (i.e. a shirt whose collar and cuffs are solid white, but the rest of the shirt is a different color). As for cuffs, I like both French cuffs and the more common barrel cuff.

Also, this might be nitpicking, but I dislike shirts that have a breast pocket. I'd much rather have a small monogram on the left breast area than a pocket.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I don't care what material.

As for color, black or red are preferred, and occasionally White.

I am searching for a dark purple one (however rare it may be) at the moment.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I loathe certain types of polyester. I am good with cotton, just need to make sure it is big enough. Not comfortable enough to wear pink yet. I like shirts with pockets. I much prefer polos than full length dress shirts though.

4. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems like all of mine are cotton, and most do have pockets. I have a purple one that is probably my favorite (I have a purple tie to go along with it too) :slight_smile: But I like any pastel color: pink, light blue, light green, and lavender.

5. AlamoCity

The only time I've seen those colors in dress shirts have been in either men's formal wear stores (i.e prom headquarters :lol:slight_smile: or those tie-with-shirt boxed combos they sell at certain stores.
    [​IMG]

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good question!

I hope I get the terminology correct. I only like all cotton dress shirts. I do not like any pockets on them. I do not like monograms. As for cuffs, I just like the conventional ones (barrel ?) and, as for collars, I like the ones that are medium sized, come down and hug the shirt via collar stays, and do not have the button down feature. I think banker's collars (a new term to me) are conceptually interesting, but not for me.

In OCD style, I was recently arranging my small walk in closet (no pun intended!) and grouping articles of clothing so I can select clothing more easily when in a hurry. When I lined up the dress shirts, I found that I had mostly white ones, some pale blue ones, and one pale pink one, which I like very much and am very comfortable wearing. I also found a few pale cream colored ones which I've rarely worn and a very nice light mint green one purchased at Men's Wearhouse I've NEVER worn. I do not like dress shirts in dark colors. As for that pale pink shirt, wearing it with a charcoal suit and a deep burgundy tie really works, along with traditional black lace up dress shoes and a simple black belt.

I also learned that I'm at a sore loss for middle of the road apparel. I have clothing that is either very formal or way too casual. Still, I have bought my more formal attire at very good prices that weren't much more than business casual.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I worked in an office, my decision was always based around the likely workload for the day. If I had a day where I had to complete a lot of written work I would opt for a standard button cuff shirt, otherwise I would always wear a double cuff. I like wearing cufflinks, so the double cuff is my strong preference.

Occasion sometimes dictates the need for a plain white shirt, but I would never wear white through choice.

8. Hexagon

*doesn't understand the question*

I wore a suit with a white shirt a couple of years ago for a funeral. That's all I know.

9. AlamoCity

A "dress shirt" is a more "formal" type of shirt that is usually worn with suit and tie. I think many guys get their first taste of one when they have their first "formal" event. I still have my white dress shirt from when I was around 4 (I also have my first seersucker suit from that age; I'm sure I looked adorable :lol:slight_smile:.

Over time, some people develop tastes and preferences for how they like a dress shirt to look and feel. But, for an Anarcho-communist like yourself, I doubt you like the symbolism and relative formality of the dress shirt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

10. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't say I get it, I never have understood or liked male formal wear that much, I do own a couple dress shirts but I don't wear suits and ties unless I'm forced to... at most my black pin striped one is occasionally tossed over a t-shirt and jeans if its a little nippy out but not cold enough for a jacket but that's about the extent of its usefulness to me.

11. Hexagon

Yes, I'm aware of what a dress shirt is. I just wasn't really aware that there could be different types. And you're right, I don't like formal clothing.

12. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Whatever I find in the closet? I don't know dick about different types or style or whatever, just that they're in my job's dress code. Which is all I care about. Staying in costume helps maintain income

Although the few times I have to where a full suit - hate getting dressed but love looking all snazzy :grin:

13. Candace

Chaps, pinstripe :sunglasses:

14. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have to agree there :grin:

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cotton is usually best (polyester feels cheap and uncomfortable), and the colours I like are plain white, cream-coloured/off-white, light shades of blue (dark blue looks horrid for the most part), or faded pink. I have a purple dress shirt, but I wear it very rarely with suits; it looks nice as an informal shirt with sleeves rolled up and not tucked in with jeans. I don't like mismatching collars; I prefer the same colour throughout.

As for the style of cuff, I only like French cuffs with white, and barrel cuffs work with everything. I also really dislike breast pockets, and quite frankly a monogram is rather too snobby for me.

However given that I'm looking at a future of practically living in a suit, I'm going to relish the ability to wear informal clothes almost all the time while I'm a teen and when I get into my early twenties.