1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greater love hath no man

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Oct 31, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
    (John 15:13)

Okay, so we've had a run of fairly deep and intense questions on the board lately, so here's another.

The above line comes from the Bible, but this isn't actually about Christianity, it's about that statement from the 15th chapter of John's gospel.

What do you think to the statement itself?

Thinking about it carefully, can you imagine any circumstances in which you would lay down your own life for a friend?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The verse itself, is a strong one. Giving up your life, which as far as we know, we only get one, for another, is a remarkable thing. A display of an ultimate kind of love, and a marvelous example of courage.

It is, tragically beautiful, to think about.

Offline, I don't really consider anyone I mingle with, as 'friends'. So, unfortunately, I cannot say I would die for them, in general.

However, that said, if circumstances were appropriate, then maybe. I could give my life up for another, but only if I am convinced, my sacrifice, will not go in vain. I don't want my fleeting moments to be filled with pain or doubt. I'd want to know, my death, inspired another to step up -- and do what they needed to, to make the most of their life.

In a way, this makes me selfish. I know that. But this life, it ain't just a throwaway one, I assure you. If I throw myself in front of you, to protect you, then you damn well better not let my death be in vain. I made, quite possibly the boldest statement, about my opinion of you, by shielding you, LOL!

I'd be more willing to lay down my life, to protect somebody who, I believed, had a lot of potential, but was not utilizing it. I could lay down my life, if I saw a young child in danger, because a child deserves a little bit longer, to find their way. I could lay down my life if, somebody was being unfairly targeted by someone, to squash that situation. I could lay down my life, if I was entrusted with others and their well being, because it would be my responsibility -- and fault -- for them being there.

Sadly, I cannot say, I would be willing to die for my family.

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol! *Kaiser's ghost comes back to find their friend sitting on the couch* "I didn't SAVE you just to lie around watching TV all day!" *starts haunting up the place*

I like to think I'd make the ultimate sacrifice for my friends. I'm pretty sure I would. I'm not morbid enough to imagine what sort of situation would warrant it though! Top tip: "I'D DIE FOR YOU!" doesn't always come across as sweet, sometimes it just sounds creepy even if it is true! :lol:

4. Hexagon

I don't have any friends I feel that strongly about at the moment. I can certainly envision giving my life for another, should they come into my life, though.

5. Mickz

Yes a million times over Id die for my best friend.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a huge fan of statements like that, as I usually look to them in various ways, which causes me to be unable to give a clear opinion. So, as always, it depends. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Blossom85

Any of my immediate family I would, especially my niece.. When I look at her, I can't even imagine seeing her in any kind of pain or hurt, so if it meant she could live a full and happy life, I can't ever imagining hesitating.

8. White Knight

Another ode to martyrdome. It might be dangerous to get too into it.

When I was a child I always prayed to God before sleep. I asked him to make me so big so I could fill the hell and no one would ever need to go there anymore.

9. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I imagine it could be about soldiers who sacrifice themselves for the good honest person

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could see getting into an altercation to defend a friend or a family member from an intruder, a mugger, or whatnot, and whatever was going to happen would happen. I would not be going into it with a death wish. I tend to avoid conflict and would actually try to take precautions or steer the person away from the altercation if possible. However, I think most people who deeply care for someone else reflexively jump in without considering the circumstances.

Another thing would be being an organ donor to a friend or a family member who needed it. I'd have to think about this one fairly intensely. The friendship or relationship would have had to have been very sincere and without many hassles for me to consider this. This one is even tougher, since people are actually faced with this one.

I think all soldiers are very unselfish when it comes to this. They put themselves in harm's way to defend collective freedom. They are true heroes. As for law enforcement types, some go into it because it's what runs in the family and some for the power trip. Some lose their lives as part of the "occupational hazard." It's kind of random. I've known some people who went into L.E. who had rotten personalities and/or some ulterior motives from the get go.

11. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Keith Urban song For You from the soundtract of Act of Valor has some variation of this verse in the song. It compares this verse to a soldier's sacrifice. That is often what I think of when I think of this verse, soldiers, police, fire fighters, especially soldiers, who put their lives on the line to serve and protect others and some pay with their lives. As to whether or not I would be courageous enough to lay down my life for another, I couldn't say for sure unless the situation actually occured. I would hope that I could save another even if I must give up my own life. But who knows really?

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would for sure take a bullet for immediate family(even dad) and most extended family, save one aunt. I am pretty sure I would as well for my college friends.