1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Readers and Writers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gen, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Gen

Gen

I've been thinking a lot about the type of person I am when it comes to both writing and reading and my mind eventually wandered onto the topic of the six major classical genres of literature: drama, romance, satire, comedy, tragedy, and tragicomedy. New genres are popping up in modern literature by second, but nearly all literature throughout the ages can be either completely classified or at least closely associated with one or more of these basic genres. So with that in mind, lets bring on the tough questions.

For everyone,

1. What would you consider to be your favorite basic genre as a reader?
    2. Which genre do you feel is most reminiscent of your spirit? (i.e. "If you were a work of fiction, which genre would you be?")

For writers,

3. Which basic genre do you find yourself constantly embodying within your projects? (i.e. "Which couldn't you resist including to some degree?")

I'll start:

1. I have to say that I love a good tragedy. Yes, I am an emotional masochist. I suppose, since I am not easily moved when it comes to fictional tragic events, I have always had a great respect for writers who can actually drag that emotion out of me. I might not be happy with them if I'd grow extremely attached to a specifically character, but I always respect the actions that they took.

2. In spirit, it would have to be satire. I LIVE for satire. Some people are just sarcastic when it comes to their humor, but that is not true satire. Personally, I take on complete theatrical roles. Truthfully, I would probably be a modern satirist if I didn't also hope to actually sell my works...

3. For the last one, I am going to have to go back to tragedy. The ironic thing is that as much as I love tragedy as a genre or tragic elements in fiction, I sometimes feel guilt when writing it myself. I can kill characters left and right, but I wouldn't automatically equate death with tragedy. The most tragic story lines of most of my characters tend to be the ones that survive. My projects always seem to take a tragic turn at some point (Or more commonly, multiple tragic turns), but although I have a knack for writing very dark and heavy scenes, I would be lying if I didn't admit that there are times when I wanted to change a planned arc because I don't want to emotionally destroy a favorite of mine. (Particularly, right now, which is honestly why I made this thread...)

2. Blossom85

1: As a romantic, I love reading about love, hurt/comfort, friendship and companionship and romance.

2: I would have to say the same as question 1 to be honest.. I am a romantic at heart and I just feel those works more then any others.

3: As a writer, no matter what I am writing about, it does have to include a bit of comedy and again romance, and maybe some tragedy as well.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. My favorite genre as a reader is probably fantasy. I love seeing the worlds crafted by others and seeing the amazing lives and stories that take place there.

2. In spirit, I am sci-fi. I am constrained by reason and what's real, but always desire to push the envelope of what is possible. I do a lot of thinking and keep up with scientific/technological news so it's a core part of me.

3. For the last one, I always seem to include action. My stories are hardly subtle; somebody always gets into a physical fight, whether it's with swords or railguns. But it's funny because I believe in my heart of hearts that violence isn't the answer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but not everyone agrees, so the bad guys in my stories sometimes need whoopin'.

4. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

1. History! Anything history.
    2. I'd probably be a US History textbook. I kid you not.
    3. I can't help but include humor in almost everything I write :grin: Been doin' it for nearly fifteen years now!

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

1. If I'm going to be honest, with books I prefer non-fiction or educational things. However fiction wise, I do love fantasy and anything with a lot of well written drama.

2. For me it would be again, drama. Not because I'm an overly dramatic person, but because I'm drawn to emotions and other people's lifestories; I love hearing about my friends' lives and comforting them, I like reading about hardships and relatable characters. There's nothing I love more than empathizing with someone and falling in love with their character.

3. Generally for me, I tend to write anything dramatic and tragic, but both of my stories have bittersweet endings instead of outright terrible ones. For main genres, I'm not always consistent. I've written a realistic fiction story with plenty of romance, and I've also written a fantasy adventure story that has no signs of romance at all.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Kaiser
    Empty Closets 101
    Mr. Gen

Shit. This isn't a class assignment, is it? Because, that's what I was thinking, as I read this, LOL. But that's a good thing, because I'm very interested in these questions.

Tragedy + Satire + Witty.

I know, that last one isn't really a genre -- it's just a personal preference. When I read something, I want to be informed, but not treated as imbecilic. Even if it is a biography, the writing itself, is a very important element to me, when it comes to any medium. If you talk to me, like it's a damn cookbook... I am going to metaphorically kill you. If you talk to me, like I'm the Bush Administration (ha ha, look at me, making political jokes... I really need to stop, LOL!), I am going to just kill you.

But I'm not really answering your question, am I?

I second your Tragedy preference, and your reasons as well. The only thing I can really add to this is, Tragedy is not easy to write for as a writer.

Why?

As you mention, near the end there, you can become attached to the story -- to the concept, the twists and turns, even the characters and their world. In a way, you're a God/Goddess of your own universe. Absolute control, total reign; epic potential, unstoppable curiosity. It is... magnificently intoxicating. Anything, be it a plot point or particular scene, changing or losing what you created, can be a pretty hard blow to take. But that's the tragic beauty of Tragedy, isn't it? To make a genuinely captivating Tragedy piece, you need to be willing to sacrifice an invested ingredient, for that essential layer of authenticity.

The moment a story becomes predictable, your audience dwindles. Let us take Dragon Ball Z as an example. Goku, the main protagonist of the entire series, is a reason I came to dislike Dragon Ball Z. When Goku first died, yes, it was a tragedy. His return from the afterlife was a good read, but after the battle with Frieza, this is when the series really began to lose me. Goku would show up, and the battle would be decided. Nobody could reasonably believe Goku could lose. Much like Goku's predictablity to remedy any plot points, a Tragedy can lose it's luster when it establishes a character as -- let us call them 'The Goku'.

Yeah, we'll go with that.

To sum it up: Unless the audience can believe - anyone, anytime, anywhere - that somebody, can be severely hurt or even killed, you won't keep them. Hell, I'd bail -- and I'm the author! Why keep writing, if I know Character A is going to survive, find a special someone, get married, have kids, and become a doctor by day, Superman by night? You won't have that one-two gut punch, either, because losing someone/something you don't want to, is what makes a successful Tragedy.

And when it is gone, that's it. Memories remain, but physically being, never again.

You can want to intertwine your fingers with theirs, but it isn't happening. You can cry and sob about them not hugging you, keeping you comforted and loved, at night anymore, but it isn't happening. You crave, but never satisfy, if that makes any sense.

At the same time, you don't want to lose a character, that you have embellished and invested in. You really get to know them - their likes, dislikes; their dreams, their fears; their plight, their world. Besides, it can be daunting, to write another character's development so late into a story. Convenience incarnate. Tragedy is not an easy genre to genuinely write for, but if you can make the necessary sacrifices, like invested time, character familiarity, and even personal pride, and give favoritism to nothing, it is a worthwhile result.

That all said, I enjoy incorporating Tragedy into my works. Unless the intent is more so, to be silly or amusing. But even then, I can appreciate some tasteful dark comedy. For example, I find humor in Freddy Krueger's stupid one liners, as much of a questionable quality as they might be. I don't care, if it is delivered well; so be it. This is why Wit is important to me, personally.

On the other side of the coin, I enjoy Satire. This one isn't all that complex to say why, though. In a nutshell, Satire allows me to put observations into tangible expressions. Like most everybody, I too, have my own opinions, beliefs, and perceptions of the world, and what is contained in it. Wit, here, is a highly requested commodity, as well. Satire becomes very dry and even boring, if there is no sense of amusement in it -- at least to me. Laughter is a powerful resource, especially when it comes to conveying or teaching, and so many do not utilize this into their Satire. Other than 'being hurt and fear', 'laughter' is very easy to remember from, and people aren't going to be too thrilled, if you're trying to make a serious point with hurting or raping them.

See, dark sarcasm? I'm terrible, sometimes.

I could mention Fantasy or Science Fiction, too. Which I do like, but by themselves, they won't reel me in. I do enjoy the default concepts and lore, but without Tragedy, Satire, or Wit, they're akin to buying a nice car... with no engine.

Green is the best color. Give me extra credit, please?

2. Which genre do you feel is most reminiscent of your spirit? (i.e. "If you were a work of fiction, which genre would you be?")

I can see myself as a Wizard/Warlock. Me, just hanging out in my really tall stone tower, surrounded by half-opened spell books, bubbling potions, and only the sound of my inner-thoughts to maintain my sanity. All I need is the magic... LOL. But seriously, I like the sagely wizards, especially the more reckless ones in their youth. Learned wisdom is a secondary element I really appreciate, in a story. I will find a character more convincing, if they know why something is or isn't, and not just repeating what they are told, basically.

I have a soft spot for, those who wield great power, but resist the temptation to casually use and flaunt it. Power vs Responsibility, basically, is enhanced when you add, something as potentially miraculous or as devastatingly powerful as magic. I can relate to that... well, without the magic.

So, obviously, Fantasy.

Science Fiction, to a degree. My respect for knowledge, is very vast, and the temptation to do what is proven safe vs what is potentially possible, is something I can understand, and find fascinating. So, pushing the boundaries, with the options advanced science provides, is a very appealing sell. I can have a morbid curiosity, at times, as well.

After typing all of that, I had a passing thought:

A master wizard, who is also a respectable high-ranking doctor.

Dr. Wizard. It needs to happen. If his fireballs of death don't stop you, his ability to solve mathematical formulas will! LOL! Wand in one hand, plasma pistol in the other -- dear Lord, I'm actually expanding on this... I need to stop, LOL.

Romance and Drama are in everybody's life. The only variables, the degree and intensity of the two. Some have more, and some have less. I say, I possess both of these, to a low but healthy degree. I know, I wish I could tell you about some crazy ex-boyfriend/girlfriend, but alas, I am incapable of producing such tales. Now, that, is a Tragedy.

Okay... I need to stop with the jokes. I'm supposed to be serious, I believe, with this, LOL.

Mr. Gen, you are sooooo handsome. Give me extra credit, please?

3. Which basic genre do you find yourself constantly embodying within your projects? (i.e. "Which couldn't you resist including to some degree?")

Well, it depends. I have a Fantasy-themed story, and this has, obviously, elements of Fantasy. But it also has Satire (smaller dose, than I usually incorporate, though), Tragedy, and Wit (I'm still counting it as a genre, damn it!). I also have a humanity-centered piece, which has elements of Drama, Romance (very, very light), Satire, and Tragedy. Wit is there, as well. I have an alternative history story, which has about every emotionally appealing-named genre in it. While I use some genres a lot, there can be different ingredients added to them, slightly altering the literary taste.

Yes, the use of 'ingredients' was intentional. And yes, I know, I should be more serious with this, LOL!

To sum it up: Whatever the primary element is, will appropriately, to me, dictate what secondary elements I use.

I hope you'll be Generous with my grade.

#6 Kaiser, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  7. Gen

Gen

I feel the same. When reading and writing I prefer stories that have finite and complete endings, but don't drift into happily-ever-after territory. You don't expect dark stories to end with sunshine and rainbows, so the obligation of some writers to give their readers a happy ending when it isn't fitting takes away from the immersion.

Yes! Someone understands the struggle.

I can't comprehend the idea of submitting a writing piece with the intention of having random people spend their hard earned income on a work that could have easily been writing by a middle school student. It seems so disrespectful to have other people spend their time and money on something that you couldn't have even been bothered to pick up a thesaurus or re-write a time or two. You don't have to be a great wordsmith, but maybe experiment with a different adjective from time to time. Fun fact, anyone can come up with a plot line. Heaven forfend a writer actually take some time to put thought into their writing...

I must say that while this piece certainly showed potential, it was rather underwhelming, Mr. Kaiser. It'll have to be a B+.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Well, uh... I'll sue for offending me. You called me a guy!

Actually, I think I'm more offended at the B+. The only 'B' I see is, there's 'bout to B a problem.

LOL!

9. Gen

Gen

I did nothing of the sort. I would consider re-reading that line.

(Now you keep this quiet. Gen doesn't make mistakes like this. I've got a reputation to uphold around here!)

10. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Suspense/Horror/Thriller Yes I know that is more then one genre, but they tend to blur and I like it when they do. I enjoy the anticipation, and figuring out the plot as the story unfolds.

2. Tricky one, as it depends how I am at the time. But most likely Comedy as I tend to find amusement in just about anything. My life certainly isn't a romance novel that's for certain! (Although there may be a touch of romance in my spirit).

3. Comedy, again. No matter what I'm writing humour always gets in there somehow. Even when something is very serious it still creeps in, taking the form of dark, cynical or embittered humour.

Mrs Kaiser?

When did Kaiser get married :eek: and why was I not invited godammit?!!

11. Mickz

For everyone,

1. Suspense/Thriller/Tragedy
    2. Oh really hard... Umm probably a comedy or something, I can't take most stuff Seriously.

For writers,

3. Suspense :lol:

12. Hexagon

Either scifi or fantasy.

Once again, either scifi or fantasy.

One thing I almost always end up trying to start in my projects is a revolution. Apart from that, they are, one again, scifi or fantasy.

13. shinji

shinji Guest

I don't really "read", as in books and stuff with no pictures. But i do read manga, so that sort of counts, right?

1 - Mostly Shonen Ai, maybe some Yaoi. If i was to read a book (and that's a huge IF), i'd probably go for fantasy or crime (think, Agatha Christie).

2 - My spirit? what spirit... lol. Uhhh, i honestly don't know, let's go with fantasy.

3 - I wrote a total of one, story in my entire life. It was basically drama, of sorts... and it turned out like shit. Basically it went like this "guy meets guy, car accident, the end".

14. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I like reading mistery stories, especially about Arsène Lupin.

I like writing stories in first person and their genre is drama, adventure and introspective.

15. Pluie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    1. What would you consider to be your favourite basic genre as a reader?
    I read a lot of speculative fiction so I guess that's my favourite.

Just off the top of my head, a satirical indie rom-com.

Speculative fiction, again! It's really hard to write realistic fiction, I always have the urge to throw in a dragon/spaceship/Gaiman-esque monster/creepy dystopian element. I actually got picked for a short story anthology with a story about time travel, I'm quite proud of that because most of the stories they pick are realistic fiction. Now I'm working on a historical piece for another short story contest... Argh. Why can't I crash-land a spaceship in New France?!

16. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll answer these right off the spot so most of these are just instinctive answers.

1. What would you consider to be your favorite basic genre as a reader?- Science fiction, or fantasy. I love reading about worlds and how different it can be, it can offer hope or guidance or just simply an exercise in imagination and escapism I suppose. But to be honest I love any genre if it's well written.

2. Which genre do you feel is most reminiscent of your spirit? (i.e. "If you were a work of fiction, which genre would you be?") Fantasy, or mystery

For writers,

3. Which basic genre do you find yourself constantly embodying within your projects? (i.e. "Which couldn't you resist including to some degree?") Science fiction or dystopian. Love writing about new worlds, different societies, etc.

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a reader, I can't pinpoint a single genre, as I've read so many good examples of all the 'types', and mixtures thereof.

In a spiritual sense, I like a balance of tragedy and comedy/satire.

In my own writing, there's a good deal of the tragic, but increasingly counterbalanced with the comic and satiric.

18. ForeverYoung000

Hmmmm...that's a tough but good question.

As a reader, the genre I pertainably like is romance, comedy, and real life situation with high school drama and things like that. Why? Because I think everyone is willing to relate one way or another and is able to grasp a feeling with and kind of connect to it. Soo high school drama and stuff like that, I can really bind with because I'm in high school and to me, like I said can delineate to it.

19. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Law dramas, fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural and super-Heros
    Fantasy or lovecraftian
    Supernatural elements especially lovecraftian, I love the idea of their being ancient beings sleeping in the earth with the power to influence our activities.