1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it polite to go to an event you are invited to when you know it's to be polite?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Blossom85, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Blossom85

This afternoon/evening my parents, sister, brother in law and niece are attending a friend of their's wedding they know through a 4WD club. I met them briefly once at a weekend away when we all went to a 4WD weekend that I had to go to cause it coincided with my mums birthday weekend.. Anyway I haven't seen or spoken to them since and that was two years ago this weekend actually.

My parents and sister, brother in law and niece have been to a few outings and bbq's with them and got invited to their engagement party and then wedding.. I was also invited to go to both as well.. As I don't know them, I appreciated the invite, but I didn't feel comfortable to say yes to either of them since I had not spent anytime with them in two years and when I did meet them, it was just after my break up and I was too upset and sad to really contribute to the conversations..

My Dad feels I should have said yes to the invite and gone anyway since they thought to include me in the invitation.. However I just felt that although it was kind of them, it was really an invite to be polite so I didn't feel left out and I didn't feel it was my place to be there at their big day, I also thought if I said no, they had another seat to invite someone else who they might have wanted to invite to the wedding.. I know I would have been bored and probably would have wound up on my phone all night to entertain myself which I feel wouldn't have been appropriate..

What I wanna know is.. Is my Dad right by insisting I should have gone anyway as they did invite me or was I right in politely declining the invitation as I don't know them personally and I know I wouldn't have enjoyed it or had a good time at their special day.

2. Ryujin

Re: Is it polite to go to an event you are invited to when you know it's to be polite

You're right in doing whatever it is you want to do.

You say you don't know them so it's more likely an invite out of politeness and you wouldn't truly be able to talk with them after having met them only once before. Do what you want to in this situation.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Is it polite to go to an event you are invited to when you know it's to be polite

That's a delicate situation. Unless you're a close friend of someone, declining a wedding invitation isn't a huge faux pas because most people realize that it can be a commitment.

I do absolutely think there are circumstances where you attend because you know it would be really meaningful to the person having the event... a dinner party, engagement, etc for someone you know, and someone who would genuinely want you there. It says you care enough about him or her to put the energy into attending.

But in a circumstance where you barely know them and feel like the invitation was extended mostly as a courtesy, I doubt they will be offended. Additionally, since many things, like catering for the wedding, are paid for on a per-guest basis, they probably don't mind not having you there. :slight_smile:

4. Blossom85

Thanks to you both and I agree Chip. If it was a good friend or someone I was close to, I would certainly go to the wedding or special event whatever it was, but I do barely know them. I honestly wouldn't even know them if they walked past me in the street cause I don't remember what they look like.

5. Hexagon

You don't have to go. It really doesn't affect anyone other than you.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The short and sweet answer? You do what you want, but do at least provide a 'thanks, but no thanks'.

If somebody invited me -- actually wanting my presence -- unless it was a Nazi rally, or something ridiculous like that, I'd at least entertain the invitation. If I just don't want to go, I don't, but usually, if asked, I'll check it out. I mean, they asked for me, and why deny them quality company, hm?

LOL!

7. Blossom85

Hexagon: Thanks, it what I was thinking too.. :slight_smile:

Kaiser: I made sure to politely decline. As I was on my parents invitation, My mum wrote that she and dad would be going but that I had decided not to go but thanks for the invite and they were fine with it, and didn't really expect me to say yes anyway, so that's how I knew it was out of politeness.

If it was someone I knew really wanted me there, I would not have even hesitated to say yes. :slight_smile:

It is more so my Dad's opinion that he thought simply because I was invited, I should have gone. He is a little old fashioned on these types of things especially where if you are to be somewhere at a specific time, then it is rude to be even 1 minute late lol.

8. trojan

in this situation, I would go, eat a piece of cake, pound down a couple glasses of free champaine, and split. Ide do it mostly for the free cake.
    Im not joking--ive done this sort of thing a few times.