1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you handle feeling burnt out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HM03, Nov 2, 2014.

1. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it is similar to the threads on motivation, but how do you prevent or minimize that burnt out feeling :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:?

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me--and I will say for me it's generally a matter of being burnt out at work--I just try to remind myself how lucky I am to be able to do the thing I'm tired of doing. Sure I get tired of my job but I could be unemployed or have a worse job or one that pays less. If it's school a lot of people don't have the resources or live in areas where an education is even an option. I'm not always a fan of the whole "well it could always be worse" train of thought but when I'm feeling burnt out on something that I really am fortunate to get to do at all focusing on that helps me.

3. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess I try to escape from it and distract myself when I really should tackle it straight on.

4. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Think of the rewards at the end. That's how I reach the end of a school day. I'm a lonely kid in school, but when I get home I can skype with people and a very that I very much am in love with. c:

Funny though, the only thing I don't feel entirely burnt out about is the gym despite my horrible physique... It makes you feel really good when you do run or lift weights, even if you're weak.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two really obvious but helpful ways are these:

Look at the goal, not at the immediate pain.

Tell yourself that you'll get it out of the way. Just don't rush it, especially if it's something that requires skill and patience.

6. sofie

sofie Guest

I'd say that taking the time to do something you absolutely love might reduce the stress in your life and make it easier to go through the things that's making you burnt out. Physical activity can also be a great stress reducer :slight_smile:

7. CrazyAwkward

When I start feeling burnt out I try to use as much of my free time as I can to rest. Forget about chores and errands for awhile. Focus on relaxing a bit. Closing myself up in a dark room somewhere and listening to soothing music really helps me re-center myself and I feel much better afterwards.

8. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just listen to music :slight_smile:

9. TheStormInside

I get burnt out really easily, and I do pretty much exactly what CrazyAwkward described, minus the music. I may just relax and try to sort of "sensory deprive" myself for awhile, or watch favorite TV or cartoons instead.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It depends.

If I get burnt out doing something, that has a deadline, then I do as Aussie792 mentioned, I look at the goal/reward/result over the pain/annoyance/exhaustion. I also tell myself, once completed, I can rest.

Now, if it is being burnt out in general, I usually just take a break. Pretty simple, right? Just take it easy, do things you like to do. After a while of being deprived, you'll start to appreciate what you were doing, possibly even miss it. This is about the time, I go back to what I was doing.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more time goes on, and the older I get, the more I just sink into a depression, and feel hopeless, lethargic and ponder modes of a painless death. It's been bad, lately, and the holidays have made things a lot worse, the way they no longer have any meaning. I wish I had better strategies. I see a therapist, but mainly, I work a lot, make little, and have a long commute and am still always broke, and have teeth and eyes I can't afford to fix, chronic pain issues, and the longer this goes on, the harder it is for me to see a future. It's like the best years are over, and I don't have any hope :frowning2:

So I try and make people laugh, and escape how I can in my own small ways, but it doesn't seem to be working as well...I don't feel very 'connected'...have not seen my family in at least 4 years, and my close friends have moved away. It's just very hard. I don't see there being enough time left for me to ever find a meaningful job, at this point...my skills are just not ones people care about, today. I suck at computers, math and tech, and science is so-so, but not really my thing, either...I mean, not something that I would wanna really 'do'. I don't seem made to be happy, in this world.

#11 HuskyPup, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  12. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Breathe in. Breathe out.
    Count 1-10
    Or listen to the music.

13. Candace

I try to remind myself that I'm getting paid for what I'm doing, meaning that I'll be able to do more things with the money that I'm earning, in the future. I try to get a nice cup of coffee, put on some PJs, and sit on the couch and either use my laptop or watch TV.

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

sleep a lot, vent about it at therapy or to a really good friend

15. duende84

Im going through such a stage and its klling me. And i have no escape at the moment.

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Listening to music and taking breaks from things sometimes helps me out greatly.

17. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the line of work I am in, the real possibility of burn out is a constant reminder for me of needing to make the most out of my evenings and weekends where I can just relax and not think about work related stuff (similarly for other things that could cause burn out as well). Going for walks, spending time with friends and my sister as well as just reading help me to feel refreshed and energized. Listening to classical music helps too.