1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you handle criticism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Nov 2, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess many of us have been criticised in some way concerning our sexuality or gender identity, but in more general terms, how do you handle criticism?

2. ZenMusic

I don't live on other people's terms. Simple.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depending on whether the criticism is positive and constructive or just negative, I either respond to it and plan accordingly to adjust my behavior/action to improve or ignore it.

I'll attempt to refute criticism sometimes to try to better understand why I'm being criticized, but I'd say I respond pretty well to criticism in school, in my family, and in the workplace.

The one place I'd say I struggle with criticism is in very personal relationships. Because I care a lot about the other person and, naturally, am going to try to do the right thing with them, when I'm told I'm not doing the right thing I tend to get defensive.
    I understand eventually but it just takes a bit longer than accepting criticism in the workplace/school/etc.

4. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I listen. There's always something to take from someone else's criticism. If it's constructive I learn something about myself, if it's destructive I learn something about them.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A) Listen to it and accept its validity when it comes from a person with the knowledge, experience, and authority to criticise me/my work, especially when it's expected of them.

B) Defend myself/my work/my beliefs, while still accepting their opinions may have value and understanding a level of equality in terms of authority and experience/knowledge/intelligence.

C) Ignore it if it has no value and leaving it untouched won't cause any harm.

D) Go straight back with criticism and a reason why I won't engage with them or take their opinions seriously. This is for when the criticism comes from a morally indefensible position.

6. White Knight

My initial reaction is refusing any critism. However in truth I take them to into consideration for a long time and decide if they were accurate or not.

About arts, I am usually deaf to positive ones. I am more interested in hearing negative ones. Of course they should be worded kindly and with out any venom in them.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Depends on two things, for me.

One, when the criticism comes. For example, if you stand up, in the middle of a crowd and call me out. I'm not going to be too tickled, at first. I'll calm down, but there is going to be the temptation, to lash back at you, in another means, at another time. But if it comes, one on one, or after something, I'm more receptive to it. I try not to call anybody out, in public, unless it is a dire situation, or they call me out first. Most folks, are less likely to heed advice in public, to save face. Best to speak to them, in smaller numbers, or face to face, if you hope to get anything done.

Usually, unless the criticism is just overly cruel, I grind my teeth and proceed.

Now, in the past, I'd have gotten internally furious. And, well, as I said, there is always that temptation, to lash back, in another means, at another time. Before, I'd have done it, but now, it's just very unlikely. I haven't been pushed like that, in quite a while.

Two, the intention behind the criticism. If it is just to offer constructive advice, so be it. But if it feels personal, then, I start to get a little annoyed. Judging or correcting somebody, just for the sake of it, or to feel better about yourself, is something I used to do -- so, naturally, I hate being on the receiving end. I know how it feels, and how it made me feel. I detest somebody, without a valid reason, getting one over on me. My ego has an incredibly difficult time, accepting criticism at times, but to criticize me AND do so to feed your ego.

Oh no, darling. I absolutely refuse to let that slide.

To sum it up. I handle it, fairly well. Unless the individual's criticism, is badly time, or has questionable intentions. Then, there is the potential to get irked, possibly want to lash back.

8. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
  9. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

I respect their opinion but it's not going to change how I feel about myself. I'm happy with who I am.

10. SomeLeviathan

this

11. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha I usually get irritated but inside I guess I feel very hurt :/

12. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I initially view it as a personal failure and then I try to convince myself that I cant please everyone.

I kinda follow the Otis Redding philosophy: I cant do what 10 people tell me to do, so I guess I'll remain the same.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would rather be criticized than falsely flattered. It may sting a little (I have an ego, like most people), but I profit from an increase in self-knowledge.

14. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually consider the source first. I know a few people who are relentlessly critical of others (particular their family members), and I'm finally learning to get tired and annoyed with it instead of taking it to heart. I happened to find out that my sister-in-law had thrown out some criticism about some aspects of my life and also made a few negative comments about my posting too much "gay stuff" on Facebook. I felt very wounded at first, and then it occurred to me, she posts pictures of herself and my brother and their family at every vacation and sporting event that they attend, and every get-together with old friends. I couldn't care less about any of it, but I'm big enough of a person to not get annoyed with it because I recognize that it's important to her. So if she can't accept that I've temporarily gone a little over the top due to a major change in my life, that's her problem and not mine.

Some peoples' criticism is well-intentioned and positive at heart. For others, it's just complaining or nit-picking. I used to take it all to heart, but I'm learning to tell the difference and ignore the latter category.

15. BaconMonster

This^

16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very, very, very, very, VERY badly. Lots of self-doubt and self-flagellation.

17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Depends on the type. Constructive criticism such as 'your art isn't very good but this is how you can improve' is fine, and I generally take the advice. Destructive criticism, especially on topics such as sexuality can cause me to react with aggression.

18. MessieM

Hah... Honestly? I have a bit of an artist's temperament... Someone will criticise my work and I will graciously listen then go off and rage about it. But then again, I am my worse critique so I am constantly under my own scrutinisation... Which I guess just leaves me raging about myself

19. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the criticism is constructive, then I can listen to it and appreciate it, even if I don't always like hearing it. I'm a writer--I have to deal with criticism, but thankfully, the type of criticism I receive for my writing tends to be helpful and constructive.

If it's the type of criticism born out of a desire to make me live the way someone else does--"you're not doing that right!" then I pretty much just ignore it. I have very little patience for that.

And if you critique my arguments without putting forth a better argument--you can bet you'll be ignored.