1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stay away from junk food?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Nov 3, 2014.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    My teeth are yellow, and some of my grinders are broken, I always brush my teeth but the truth is that I can't stay away from junk food, everyday I buy lollipops, chocolates and coke even when I don't really want any of it, it's just a very bad habit of mine obviously I run out of money very quickly too

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Just don't buy it. I had a similar addiction, to snacks such as chips. Just stopped buying them and dealt with the cravings. Eventually I no longer craved it.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Step 1. Don't buy it in the first place. Try starting slowly. Get rid of the coke first because it's the worst offender (there's a reason people use it sometimes to clean toilets and other things...).

Step 2. Learn to cook and eat fresh foods. This means fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. Try also getting a fluoride mouth rinse in addition to brushing.

4. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    yes, and I only eat meat, I rarely eat anything else. My eating habits are shit
    look, it's not so easy to stop buying them because when I have some extra money even if it's only a couple of pennies I spend it all in candies, maybe I should go out with the exact money I will use to more important things but what if there's an emergency?

5. shinji

shinji Guest

Lollipops i'd avoid, chocolate is not that bad, if you're not chewing it, but instead just let it melt in your mouth. Cola on the other hand, is quite problematic and the main reason for teeth discoloration.

For the discoloring i'd go with Pearl Drops toothpaste and a somewhat strong mouthwash like Listerine (purple bottle). Also using a medium to hard brush, helps!

For dealing with the "cravings" i'd consult your doctor about starting to take magnesium (as a food supplement, after breakfast). That does wonders to curb the whole need for sweets. In fact, the feeling you get, when you "must" put something sweet in your mouth, is usually because of magnesium deficiency.

There is nothing wrong with eating sweet stuff, but i'd try and go for things that aren't 100% chocolate, like for example Jaffa Cakes, Ice Cream, Pudding, etc... Not that it's less harmful to the teeth, but because they usually have less calories.

Also, avoid stuff with artificial sweeteners (Coca Cola has aspartame, which is quite addicting). Because of the way artificial sweeteners work on the body, they actually make you crave more food/sweets.

6. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least you admit it and want to work on it. That is good. If there's an emergency, I'd take out my map and find my way home or use my cards to pay.

I read that bodies are hardworkers. It's affected me to the point where I rarely take painkillers. You might be put off junk food when you know what that stuff does to bodies. It's one of the things that helped me to drink less alcohol.

Write a shopping list and stick to it. Maybe you need a friend to tell you off when you feel tempted to buy sweets. You don't have to go cold turkey. Sometimes I eat sweets and I even eat fries a few times per year. I usually order most of my shopping online every week. I only go to the shop for products such as milk. And then there's Martin's money saving tips and now I'm feeling old.

7. duende84

Rather visit a deli that sells nice fresh sandwiches, salads and confectioneries. Also, try brushing your teeth just after you have eaten. Or at least just rinse your mouth with a mouth wash.

Also, try make a dentist appointment and get your teeth professionally cleaned and polished. Will make you feel like a million bucks!

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Buy sandwich bags, a whole lot of them.
    2. Replace your candy with fruits or vegetables. Instead of getting skittles, get strawberries or raspberries. Place a 1/4 or 1/2 of the box of strawberries in your bookbag/knapsack. If you do not like these, try carrots with caramel dipping sauce. If you hate all of these and are single, try a banana. There's nothing hotter than a guy eating a banana. :d You can be healthy and hook a hottie on the same day. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Place these in your large sandwich bags.

9. Randomcloud

Probably don't go cold turkey cause that doesn't work. Slowly phase out those foods so I guess replace chocolate with other sweet treats that have more nutritional value (fruit, yogurt, even small amounts of dark chocolate mixed with dried fruit or nuts or something), you eventually develop a liking for the more healthy alternatives. Personally I love flavoured water as a good alternative to soda

10. Hexagon

The power of will over basic instinct. We were born with the ability to do this, unlike any other creature on earth. Use it.

11. Emmanuella

I was similar to your. .. (minus the coke as I'm not a big fan of soft drinks).

What helped me was the simple/fun/tasty art of making smoothies....

Juse add a few yummy fruits, some CREAMY vanilla yogurt (Greek yogurt if you can...) so excited milk and usually a banana... and BAM! You have a delicious tasting smoothy. Try doing that for one day and it might become your new addiction. I promise.

Just spend any extra change on a new fruit or vegetable to add to the mix... you will realize how much funeeded it is to mix random ingredients together. You might find that adding a banana is usually essential for a creamy taste...

12. Willard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had a similar thing: I couldn't stop buying winegums (I ate about half a kilo per week). That together with fast food, other sweets and lots of soft drinks ended up me weighing 103 kilos around last christmas. And at that point I wanted to do something different.

One of the best things I did was trying to not go to the supermarket (or any other place you buy bad food) while being hungry, just eat before you go shopping and it is a lot easier to withstand the seduction of bad food/drinks. And when you don't have the stuff at home, it is a lot harder to eat/drink it in the first place.

Apart from that I changed my habit of eating winegums in eating nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, etc.), I changed from soft drinks to dairy and healthier drinks. Mostly carbonated mineral water and a drink called Crystal Clear (I don't know if it is available outside the Netherlands/Europe). That way I can eat and drink as much as I did before, but end up eating much healthier. Together with a bit more physical exercise this diet change resulted in me losing 14 kilo's in about six months. So it is a lot more healthier for sure. Although I don't know if these changes would do much for the health of your teeth.

Maybe using mouthwash in addition of brushing your teeth could help a bit too.

Oh, and if you buy some bad food, do it while you are together with other people. When I can't resist and buy a bag of winegums, I open it while being among friends. That way I share most of it, instead of just eating the whole bag myself.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Go to the dentist and ask for a cleaning without anaesthesia. :wink:

14. robotman

I feel your pain, I tried to do a healthy eating plan/diet for 2 weeks. I got onto day 4 of just eating different salads but enough was enough, I then proceeded to order pizza for lunch and had a burger and chips for dinner. Why does junk food have to taste so good? :frowning2:.

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I minimize buying it... sometimes.

But better yet drink more water and less juice and soda to cut back on excess sugars.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not easy. Not easy.

As I was leaving a drugstore, they had free minis (candy bars) the day after Halloween. I took a handful. I've already eaten them.

Reese's, Almond Joy, Kit Kat ... yum.

17. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  18. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Well, if you care about you're health.. You'll take a stand.

"NO!!! I stop now!"

I know the addiction, but I took my stand.

19. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I used to have a really big problem with these kind of foods, but then I came to a revelation of sorts that I won't be tasting it for much longer than 10 minutes, but it will all be on my body tomorrow. Reminding myself of that helps most of the time. I don't know what it's like in other countries, but where I live it seems you can't go out in public or watch tv for five minutes without seeing an advertisement for extremely unhealthy foods. As other people have pointed out, the time you really need to be strong is at the grocery store. You can't eat much junk food if you don't have any in the house.