1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant find much about this subject either that or im not looking correctly

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I was trying to find out what states don't allow same-sex marriage but most of the things im finding make me even more confused >_>. So what states don't allow same-sex marriage? Am I alright in living in the U.S? Im guessing so but had to double check you know?

Also can hypothetically a new president who is anti-gay somehow make same-sex marriages illegal? Or can they not do that? I would think they wouldn't since there would be so much outcry and what not that it would keep them from doing something like that but not sure so thought id ask!

#1 Akira12, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. iiimee

Umm, these are states with full marriage equality-

Washington, California, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Vermont, Conneticut, Rhode Island, Massechuesetts, New York, New Jersey, Maine, Maryland, Iowa, New Mexico, Illinois, Minnesota, Delaware, Washington, Pennslyvania, Colorado, Indiana, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia and West Virginia, Winconsin, Arizona, and Wyoming.

You may encounter a few issues if you do not live in one of these states.

3. AKTodd

In addition to the states listed by iiimee, there are additional states where courts have struck down same-sex marriage bans, but things haven't officially changed yet or the state is claiming they will fight it, but is almost certainly going to lose.

Oh, and Alaska also allows same sex marriage as well unless something has changed and I missed it.

The President can change policies for Federal employees in regards to discrimination based on orientation but does not have the power to simply take away rights from the general population or make gay marriage illegal. They could attempt to get Congress to pass legislation, but the Supreme Court seems likely to squash that. And the outcry would be titanic and not in their favor.

Todd

4. iiimee

Yeah, I live in KY, so it's hard for alot of people here. ^_^

5. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks iiimee for that lovely list!!! also thanks to you AKTodd for answering my second question xD. Thought I was correct in that assumption but never hurts to get other opinions eh?

6. iiimee

^_^ It's fine love. I was glad I could help.

7. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

The president cannot alter or strike down a decision rendered by scotus(defintiely not on his own). It would also be almost impossible to change federal protections based on nondiscrimination. If it were possible for one branch of our government to wield such unilateral power civil rights legislation would never have been enacted into law . Plenty tried to sideline and derail those protections and made accusations of distorting the contitution and abolishing states rights in order to accomplish their task. Of course , as with all laws on the books the true test is in its' enforcement in the courts and local law enforcement .
    The only possible law that could be used to handicap or incapactitate existing legislation or alter scotus decisions is the patriot act (Now theres a democratic piece of legislative tripe).

8. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So even if say the new president doesn't like same sex marriage and somehow took it to the Supreme Court they couldn't make a new law and ban same sex marriage? Or is it here to stay and never Leave? Can they make new laws to somehow make the same sex marriage law basically pointless? If they ban same sex marriage what happens to the people who have married and the ones who are dating or engaged? Can they arrest them or something? Or are we safe somewhat? Sorry for all the questions but just started thinking about it and these came up so yea xD.

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2014 at 11:30 AM ----------

Also one other can they not allow gays to work? Like if your gay then you can't work or something like that? Or make working a living hell?

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2014 at 11:42 AM ----------

Who would be supporting the LGBT community the best democratic or republican? I'm really non-knowledgable on this subject so yea >_>

9. Tardis2020

There are still places even in the US where you can be fired based on sexuality or gender identification, and democrats would for the most part be the ones supporting LGBT rights. However, plenty of conservatives/republicans are tolerant and accepting, and plenty of liberals/democrats are intolerant bigots.