1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toys...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by greatwhale, Nov 4, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings!

About a year and a half ago, I started a thread which I think would be worthwhile reviving seeing that there are so many new members around, and with X-mas/Chanukah approaching...

Here's what I wrote in the Opening Post:

So let us know what you remember as your favourite toy, why it was so, what you hoped to get but never did, and what you would do to get that favourite toy back! :grin:

P.S. I finally did get that Easy-Bake Oven...for my kids of course...

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Generally liked toys that I had creative flexibility over. I didn't like action figures and the Barbies my mom bought didn't do anything- because Barbie had her own role and personality, the GI Joes had their own story. But something like a bunch of stuffed animals were something I could name, make a backstory for and play film director with. Liked Legos, but not any of the franchise sets like Bionicle.

Really liked the shit my brother got to play with. Like video games, Legos, a basketball. I always got really jealous when he'd get something like a basketball and I'd be staring at a fucking Polly Pocket set.

There was this really cool toy I remember having as a kid- some kind of robotic dog. Had an LED eye display. I forgot what it was called.

The one thing I always wanted...and man it was stupid, but I wanted a scooter or a skateboard. I had no balance. Hated exercise. But I wanted a scooter since I was four. Begged for it every year. Never got it. One of my sisters did later on, and yes, I tried to ride it.

3. Mickz

Legos :grin: They'res just so fun, you build stuff and make your own story with it. I always wanted to get more legos :lol:
    Sadly yet still for a good cause I gave away my legos to a orphanage so I'd do nothing to get them back :slight_smile:

4. Hexagon

I always liked lego.

5. Yosia

I had a variety of toys which i enjoyed but i would say my imagination along with a few toys was my best source of entertainment.

6. iiimee

I loved legos, board games, anything except barbies!

...Also, I remember I used to play with rope as a little kid, tying myself up as I tried to figure out knots I couldn't get out of... Wow, I was a weird kid o.o

7. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Pretty much always been into outside games but i defo was a lego , lincoln log Master . Paintball too. Oh wait thats outside .

8. kingLaser458

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
  9. tscott

Animals, particularly a stuffed giraffe named Georgie, I still have him. I've collected stuffed bears as did my wife. It wasn't pleasant having to split the collection apart. I hated giving up the Colorforms set from MOMA...just shapes...It was a go to gift for new parents.

10. Rainbows~Exist

Lego. Seriously I'd still love to have a massive box of Lego like I used to...

11. SomeLeviathan

legos, naturally. my favorite stuffed animal is and was a penguin. I played a lot of cardgames too

12. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I loved my couple of stuffed animals, Tonka trucks and Matchbox cars, and also enjoyed my sister's turquoise metal kitchen set and Barbie dolls. We made elegant dresses for them by wrapping scarves around them, and used beads on stick pins pinched through their ears for "pierced earrings". (My sister also pierced where where nipples would have been so they could nurse their babies. Big family. 1960's/1970's with just a hint of hippie behavior.)

But by far the most fun came later. One of my sisters is a year younger than I, and the other is nearly 10 years younger, and we had loads of fun with a weird amalgamation of a Fisher-Price castle and the remains of multiple sets of little soldiers, farm animals, Indians and several representatives of the old Zorro TV series from the 1950's. The principals all had dry little in-joke names like King Rufus (my dad went to Rufus King High School), Queen Ellery (from mystery writer Ellery Queen), the Footperson (who was actually a woman dressed as a man for some mysterious reason), Running Bear the Indian and his horse Blue Sky (who actually WAS blue), and the knight Sir Rodney d'Armor. ("A Knight Errant?" "No, an errant knight!") There was also a thin old brown cow that inevitably disappeared. ("Mother, where's the old brown cow?" "Look on your plate, dear.") And the piano was the mountain grazing ground for an assortment of sheep, turkeys and goats. We had some stock routines that we would use, like Sir Rodney getting locked in the tower, but there was a certain amount of variation from time to time.

Now that I think of it, I had to have been well into my teens when I was playing "Farm Set" with my little sister, but it really was a fun time, even if I was a little old for it.

13. Blossom85

I was always a Barbie doll girl growing up down to the Barbie fold in fun house. I still have all my stuffed teddy bears as well, I am a big collector of them.

14. Xochipilli

FURBY! I wanted one like crazy when they came out in the 90s. I made a piggy bank out of cardboard and decorated it. And I don't remember how long it took me to save up, but I actually got a black and white one. :love:

15. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I played with toys right up until I got into highschool and even then still a little while after that. I think what stopped me was I got tired of having to clean them all up xD

I had all sorts of toys from different sorts of fandoms, from power rangers, to pokemon and digimon, I even had a big collection of beanie babies. I still have most of those old toys actually, sitting in my attic XD If I could, I'd like to restore some of them, keep my favorites and sell off the rest. I can't say I can think of a specific toy that was my favorite honestly because I loved them all. I had favorite Beanie Babies but that was different!

For me it didn't really matter what the toys originated from, I usually made up all kinds of wild stories and story arches for the games I'd play with them. I made up villains and heroes. I married my beanie babies together and told dramatic tales of love through them. I think that REALLY took off with the Bionicles, which I built into custom bodies that could convert into an animal like form and their pilots would do battle in mighty arena matches (based off some anime I liked back then XD I forget the names)

I still like toys these I just don't play with them the way I used to, I still have the imagination and creativity to do that I just focus that creativity elsewhere :slight_smile: If I could I'd love to get my hands on the delux dragon dagger, green ranger morpher and dragon zord :3 Nostalgia reasons, Tommy was my favorite after Trini left the show...

16. One Man Army

Toy cars, toy cars, and toy cars. Also, roads. My parents thought I was going to grow up to be a town planner because I loved designing road systems and then placing toy cars on them.

17. 741852963

I'm not looking to cause trouble round these here parts *saloon doors swing in the background* but the plural of Lego...is Lego.

Aaand back on topic. Lego is cool and so yes, one of my favourites.

18. One Man Army

It's an American versus non-American thing, IIRC.

Americans like to pluralise...I mean, pluralize Lego, which is logical enough if you use Lego to refer to one block of it.

19. Jethro702

I always loved toy cars, and those little farm house sets, along with Legos/Lincoln logs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#19 Jethro702, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  20. 741852963

Thats the problem though, you wouldn't.

You would have to say something like "a brick of Lego" or "a Lego piece". "A Lego" on its own doesn't make sense.

Its like "water". You can't really say "a water" as a singular (unless referring to a bottle or glass of it), or "waters" as a plural (unless using nautical speak).