1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of parents who disown there children?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Burnedcloset, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Burnedcloset

And have you been disowned?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Deplorable. Unless that child is abusive and there is no reconciling, then it says a lot to me about how much that parent truly values the concept of family for rejecting a child based on a perceived slight. Whether that's being gay, a religion, interracial relationships, I really have no respect for a parent who disowns their child.

Now, I was never disowned, persay, but my mother and I had a very rocky, difficult relationship after I came out that neither of us have contact with one another- even though it would be easy to continue contacting one another.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think they're trash, and especially if It's for religious reasons. You really value the teachings of a book more than your own flesh and blood? It's a terrible thing to do.

4. Blossom85

I haven't and fortunately my parents are very supportive of me.. It makes me sick to think that parents would disown their children, I feel very sad about it and angry at those parents who can't stand by and support their own children.

5. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Scum of the earth.

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's one of the worst things a human being can do. To completely reject somebody that you're supposed to value above yourself and love unconditionally is just sickening to me.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Guess whose not coming to your funeral when you die , or when your ass gets old and lonely I'm not coming to visit you . :tantrum:

8. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't come out to my parents but I don't think they'd disown me. It's just not the right time, they couldn't deal with it right now and neither can I.

I can't say how I'd feel if it happened to me, other than utterly betrayed and helpless....

9. ChameleonSoul

I can't stand it! Especially if it's something as trivial as being LGBT. How can anyone toss their child aside as if they'd never existed when they are supposed to be the people who love them unconditionally.

I could never see my mother disowning me, but I can easily picture the rest of my family treating me as if I'd never existed when I come out. Their loss I guess...

10. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Hypocritical b s.
    It's no different than any other major faux pas a parent can make with regard to parenting ( and they're many) . I think another issue is kids who blindly view their parents as more than they are ; people like everyone else.
    I think people do the whole parenting thing without a lot of forethought at times. It seems to me to be a fukton of responsibility to procreate. One of the things that needs to be considered when thinking about fertilizing an egg is that one doesn't just get to back out when things get tough .

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It's pretty self explanatory, they arent parents

12. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it is terrible. They are a bunch of hypocrites, if they let something as minor as that change how they feel towards their family. They can write themselves off as good parents all they want, but they are full of shit.

As for myself, I haven't been disowned. Actually, all of the coming outs I ever had were forgotten. My family may have their theories but they really have nothing to go on since, I've never stated or done anything that would prove them.

#12 PlantSoul, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  13. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's pitiable that people can be so limited. My parents are awesome. But my partner's parents functionally disowned her (basically would only agree to be around her if I wasn't there and was not discussed or acknowledged...any mention of me led to pretty ugly conflict) for several years...finally ending when her father was on his deathbed, asking to see me (I went and we reconciled).

But I felt pity for him the whole time. It was clear that he loved her and that it was killing him to treat her like shit (which of course is why he was so angry at *me*). But he was dealing with the limitations that his life handed him. I can't call him "scum of the Earth" (although I can relate to people who feel that way, and can't blame them for their limitations either)...but I can definitely pity how fucked up he was.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

They deserve to have anyone they've ever loved turn their backs on them and then get fired so they can't keep their houses. That would level the playing field a bit.

Edit: My mom when I was little used to tell me that she would love me even if I blew up half the world, providing it wasn't the half she was on. That's how a parent should feel about their kids.

15. Hexagon

It's a truly terrible thing to do to one's child.

16. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's ridiculous :/ If you're disowning your child for no good reason, then you never deserved them in the first place

17. RAdam

Depends on the kid and the reason why they are doing it.

18. One Man Army

Thinking about people's responses here, and my own thoughts, there seem to be more valid reasons for a child to disown his or her parents than there are for a parent to disown their child. Is this fair? Is there any more justification for cutting off contact with your parents than with your children?

19. Lipstick Leuger

Parents like this need to be shot.

20. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i assume you mean for LGBT issues, in those cases the "parents" don't deserve that child, never did ever will as long as they have that have that mind set. as to the other question, im 47 so if i come out to my folks and they "disown" me, it will hurt but at this stage it won't be too bad i think