1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long should you wait till you "give it up"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by robotman, Nov 5, 2014.

?

How long should you wait before you do anything sexual in a new relationship?

Poll closed Nov 15, 2014.
  1. 1st date (I'm ready to do anything from the get go :la:)

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. 2nd or 3rd date.

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. 1-2 weeks after dating.

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. 3-4 weeks after dating.

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. 1-3 months after dating.

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. 3-6 months after dating.

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. 6+months after dating.

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  8. Other, please state your opinion if you click this option.

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  1. robotman

So lets say you were going to start being in a relationship with someone how long would you wait until you give it up? Basically how long would you wait until you had full intercourse with them?

The poll is for general consensus :help:.

#1 robotman, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I want to be funny, here, and say, as soon as somebody shows an interest in me.

But, to be serious... it would depend, on a few things. Who I'm with, how we're getting along, and the context of the situation.

3. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

It always depends, but provided the chemistry is right, I don't mind doing it all on the first date.

Matter of fact, it doesn't even need to be a date. Meet someone in a club, chemistry is right, we're attracted? I don't mind having all the funs that very night.

All provided my current partner doesn't mind it of course, unless I'm single.

#3 Black Raven, Nov 5, 2014
  4. Burnedcloset

As long as it takes to unzip your pants.
    lol jk

I have no idea (virgin)

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I resist the temptation to come up with a firm timeframe. I would rather ask: how long does it take to get to know someone? A corollary is: what do I have to do to get to know someone better, and faster? Knowing someone is the essential goal of dating, you cannot love what you do not know.

In an activity as necessarily risky and fragile as dating (think of dating as a project, something that's never been done before), it behooves one to get to know someone as soon as possible, so that if it were doomed to fail, it should fail early!

6. cuppycake

I don't mind doing it on the first date. If I want it and she wants it too, then why not? ^^

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will 'give it up' as soon as possible. If the person wants to have sex on the first date then great. If not, fine. If the date didn't go so great and neither of us see a future together, then why not have meaningless sex and go our separate ways. At least end the evening on a high.

I don't like how this question is worded though. There is no 'should' - it's entirely dependent on the individuals in question. People are free to make their own decisions, and they are not right or wrong.

#7 imnotreallysure, Nov 5, 2014
  8. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't really matter, it varies from situation to situation. There is no should!

9. Hexagon

Irrelevant. Sex is neither moral nor immoral, and as such, it isn't my business. It's up to personal preference.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it depends what you're "giving up" and who's getting it. :lol:

If you regard sex as a bit of fun and can detach yourself from it emotionally, then first date may work, but if you want a deeper and more intimate relationship with the other person and sex means more to you, you might want to give it a week or two, at least.

It's a matter for each person. I know where I stand.

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to think of myself as a third date kind of guy. But then again when the chemistry is right... My partner and I got down to business the night we met--we've now been together for 17 years.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sort of think you should know if chemistry exists by the third date.

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

For me I would probably wait quite some time, around 6 months possibly longer. But that's just me. I don't feel there is a set amount of time where you should give it up. There aren't really timelines on these things, so I don't think there is a set amount of time to wait for sex. I think what it comes down to is that you'll have sex when both you and your partner feel ready for it. If you want it soon in a relationship then go for it. But if you're like me and would rather wait a while, then try not to get pressured in to anything. If someone is pressuring you a lot for sex when you've made it clear you're not ready, that's generally a sign you want different things out of a relationship.

14. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well to each there own. As stated by others, it's not a matter of should. You should when you are ready. But me personally, I always feel like I don't wait long enough. I don't think it has ever been over two week. Generally I wait a week or two. But I have after a few "get to know ya dates" hooked up after the first few times meeting the person. I seem to be doing well in the relationship department right now, so I guess it wasn't perceived as beeing too soon! lol

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

For me preferably 1 or 2 years of dating. For others, first date works fine. There's no timeframe on sex.

16. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think you can put a set rule on this. Whenever you both are ready and want to do it because you genuinely care about each other, not because you feel obligated.

17. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had been "just hanging out" with my boyfriend for over a year before I first had sex with him. Though we planned it well ahead and it was the first time we really decided to call the hanging out "a date".

So I guess I managed to have sex both on the first date AND after 6 months :wink:

But yeah, it depends. If you're spending time together every day, you might be ready for it in a week or two. If you're spending time only one hour every weekend, it might take months.

Personally, though, I could see it happen in 1-3 months. I like to draw things out and make a special occasion of each "first", plus I like to ponder my feelings before acting on them.

18. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to get the sex over with first, and then figure out whether there's anything else worth hanging around for. Works for me.

19. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Dear Lord... that's a long time. :eek:

To each their own, obviously, it is your very right to handle it this way, but I couldn't.

20. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm not really a sexual person. I'm mostly asexual and I don't even feel sexually attracted to someone unless I've known them for that long, so we'd have to at least be friends for 1-2 years first in order for me to do it sooner :lol: I mostly date other gray-asexuals for that reason, but I don't mind if other people want to have early or casual sex.