1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prejudice towards bi/pan people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ForNarnia, Nov 5, 2014.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, today, I was talking about Pansexuality and Bisexuality with this guy, and he defined Bisexual as 'greedy' and Pansexual as 'fucks anything with a pulse'. Has anyone else heard stuff like this, and what do you think about it? xx

2. Tardis2020

Bi/Panphobia is pretty common. Even among other LGBT people.

3. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know, it sucks :frowning2: xx

4. BaconMonster

When I came out to my mom as a bi, she said bi people are just confused. I severly dislike my mother, and I wanted to call her an idiot right then and there.

5. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's something that gets very old very fast

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

People think things like that about every sexual orientation but straight people. Not fair is it?

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't even know what a pansexual is tbh but I'm not sure I hear many bad things about bisexuals that are worse than what people say about homosexuals. In fact, I'd think they'd be more accepted, at least for males, since they still like women (half straight!).

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I always thought not before long people would start saying crap about pansexuals as well .
    I once heard some one say pansexuals have sex with adults and children and even rocks . basically saying it's anything that 's human or object .

Is it just me but I think maybe there needs to be a class that explains how multisexuality works ? :confused:
    Seems like people are way to ignorant about to the point where some of their comments just sounds plain stupid or written or said by a 6 year old .

10. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely. Although, in some places, there is more prejudice towards gay people, as they see bisexual/pansexual people as being "half-straight." :rolle:

Here, though, bisexuality is almost always mentioned as if it's something made up. It's frustrating, and it can actually be the source of the claim that gay people choose to be gay. My mother thought bisexual people were people who could choose to be gay or straight. She didn't really understand the concept.

Bisexual and pansexual are essentially the same labels, however, pansexuality is more inclusive of non-binary genders, as bisexuality implies there's only two genders (bi) but pansexuality implies there is more than one (pan = all).

There's a class called Queer Studies in some universities/colleges. Maybe they differentiate it there. :shrug:

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    They don't have that at my college really could have helped

In my town it's much better to be a bisexual than a gay person if you come out as bi to your friends you keep them doesn't matter if your boy or girl . You come out as gay or lesbian and you lose a lot of your friends and they start making up how they have to do stuff and they can no longer hang out with you . Then you don't hear from them at all . :icon_sad: But that's just my experience .

12. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

A guy once said to me "bisexuals are basically just sluts"

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope this is a joke. :dry:

14. Ruthven

yeah no bisexual doesn't mean "half straight/half gay" it means bisexual

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I really don't get why people have such a huge problem with bisexual , ok yeah some fit the stereotype ,but I wonder what really is the problem with bisexual people that bothers people or they can't understand bisexuality . I recently kind of read something recently that said the reason many gay and straight people have a problem with bisexuals and pansexual is because if they become visible there will be no way to prove being gay or straight anymore .

---------- Post added 5th Nov 2014 at 03:50 PM ----------

This comment reminds me of the I'm a bit bisexual it's kinda like saying your a bit pregnant :lol:

16. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I'm not going to comment about the fuck anything with a pulse bit, I've never run into anyone who has addressed bi or pansexuality negatively, or even at all. Then again, I'm not exactly asking everyone I come across what they think of pan and bisexuality, I'm too busy looking them up and down, wondering how long it would take to get their clothes off. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Blossom85

It is sad to hear that people are prejudice towards bi/pan people.. I haven't seen or dealt with it personally in the real world, but on sites there does seem seem to be some ignorance and prejudice towards us.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it distressing, Austin, that you're speaking so authoritatively on something about which you apparently have no experience or at least engagement with multisexuals for their experiences.

I haven't been more accepted at all. To straight people, I'm just another fag (because they don't respect my gender either). To gay men, I'm a cheating slut to be distrusted. I'm also a person who "has it easier" in their mind, so anything that happens to me is less valid.

Some of the worst prejudice I've ever experienced in my life have been because of gay men right here on EC.

Furthermore, some gay men and lesbians continue to be terrible here...

#18 Pret Allez, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  19. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard that too, from guys and straight girls.

20. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To my understanding, pansexual and bisexual aren't really different in terms of who you're attracted to. The differentiation between them is more about someone's mentality about their attraction. Someone who is bisexual is attracted to two or more genders, while someone who is pansexual is attracted to people regardless of their gender. So if we use these two definitions the two are not mutually exclusive, only someone who identifies as bisexual might feel like gender still plays a role in who they're attracted to, while someone who identifies as pansexual can be someone of any gender (not to be confused with being automatically attracted to everyone).