1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why won't people get pansexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by antibinary, Nov 7, 2014.

1. antibinary

Today I was having a conversation with two (cisgender and straight) friends. They asked my what the bi' group was like (a group of people that happen to have a high proportion of LGBTQIAP+ people in it.) I correcyed them telling them it was the LGBTQIAP+ group. They asked me what it stood for, and I told them. They asked, and I quote "What's pansexuality, attracted to pans?" :bang: I told them, and they started nitpicking at the fact it was called 'pan.' I explained the latin roots, and then the conversation was repeated, till some one said that pansexuality included ftm and mtf people too. One of them then asked, why noy stick with bi'. And I'm ljust thinking, I've already explained it to you. And that's the 5th time people have mixed up bisexuality and pansexuality.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I pansexual and bisexual as the same thing the meanings are very similar. I think it's the mentality

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Because people don't want to understand gender identity.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The difference becomes clearer the stronger your understanding of gender is. Most people know there is a "male" and "female" and no other options. Physically speaking, they're usually right. But it's not the whole story and that's what pansexuality includes.

I think I might actually be pan, but I stick with bi because people aren't totally thrown off by it.

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have the same problem. They are different. Because some Bisexual people are not okay with non-binary genders. (Some, not all), and Pansexuals are. It's such a simple concept, but people never seem to get it. I guess it's like Bi, with an extension. I don't see why it's suddenly so difficult to grasp because it has a different word.

Bisexual= Two or more.
    Pansexual= Absolutely all, no exceptions.

Bisexual= Interested in guys and girls, possibly non binary genders
    Pansexuals= Interested in guys, girls, and non binary genders

I apologise for the rant. I do understand why people get confused, but it still irritates me.

6. Yayo

Yayo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think to a degree it's easy to get lost in the labels these days. There's so many and really in the end there's an infinite amount of combinations, degrees, etc of gender identity and sexuality so you'll never fully do it justice.

Make it easier and say...I'm a person and I like people, regardless of gender[identity]

7. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just let people understand what they'll understand. If they start talking about something and have misconceptions, I'll do my best to correct them.

8. Hexagon

Because people's model of the world uses binary genders, and changing one's world-model is difficult.

Also... latin roots? Pan is greek, I believe.

9. Q-Tip

Fun fact! I hate pansexuality. 1. tends to just group transgender as a seperate gender which defeats purpose. 2. I hate the bullshit excuse I hear constantly of "I don't need attraction to love someone" because a happy relationship is one with attraction. and 3. it is just the same as bi but labeled as more inclusive which makes bi people seem they couldn't date someone of a more liquid gender.

I know I'll get hate for it and people will say I don't support you and shit, but I am a man who will support you even if I disagree with something because in the end I'm just a dummy.

10. The Janitor

Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to see transgender as only a little fact, like eye colour. It's not indicative of one's gender to me, it's just a trait. However, I don't include those in Male/Female categories who do not wish to be included.
    Also, pan means everything, which allows for me to make love to the rocks without stigma.

11. Ryujin

Well done for excluding my gender!

You see, thing is, pansexual doesn't group transgender people as a seperate gender, it recognises an attraction to non binary genders. Bisexual is attraction to two genders, whereas pansexual is to all!

#11 Ryujin, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  12. Q-Tip

Thats a better explanation then I ever got. I was told it was more of the other side of genders which made me feel very pissed as that does exclude people.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2014 at 01:59 PM ----------

Hi tumblr....

13. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing that annoys me about pansexuality is when people say things like "pansexuality is attraction to personality". Which is false, because pansexuality is supposed to simply be about people who aren't just attracted to the binary genders, so absolutely sexual physical attraction can be included. A gay, straight, pan, bi, any type of person could potentially be "attracted to personality"; it isn't limited to pansexuals.

14. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is hating Pansexuality any better than hating Bisexuality and Homosexuality? At the end of the day, it's not fair to disrespect anyone's sexuality.
    1. Pansexuality is attraction to non binary genders, not saying that transgender is separate.
    2. Attraction is a factor, and I've never met a pansexual who wasn't attracted to something about a person. (whether it's appearance or personality)
    3. Bisexuals can date whoever they want, but some only feel attraction to binary genders.

I hope that didn't come across badly, I'm just trying to explain that it's not all that bad.

15. The Janitor

Out Status:
    Some people
    Whoa dude, don't make me feel all smart there! *slightly proud*

16. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Sorry, but the whole thing is extremely confusing . I agree with yayo.

17. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah. Yayo's post is way easier to understand :slight_smile: I should just tell people that. :slight_smile:

18. The Janitor

Out Status:
    Some people
    Pansexuality to me is simply, I'd hug any human being in the world. Provided, if it were Mitt Romney or Putin, I'd activate Industrial Robot Strength Love and chop them in half, but that's besides the point. I understand the difference between male, female, and anyone who was born in the wrong body, crossdresses, or doesn't want to identify as a certain gender. In the end, none of it really matters because regardless of sexual identity, if you have a nice body in my eyes and have an open mind with it, you're going to have The Janitor in your pants.

19. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haha that was strangely uplifting :slight_smile:

20. The Janitor

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad it did something for you. I've been uplifted all day. Huehue.. (make it stop)