1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nationalism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by skizze, Nov 8, 2014.

1. skizze

I studied nationalism in history class, and to me it's a very abstract concept. I understand it in my head but I don't feel it so I can't really fully comprehend it. According to a friend, most everyone feels nationalism, even if it doesn't go beyond rooting for one's nation in Olympics.

So do most people feel nationalism? And do people really feel happy if their country wins an international sports competition or such? Why??

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I don't even support my country in the Olympics sometimes. :lol: It depends. And I don't feel nationalistic at all, I want to move out of this country actually, but I won't do that for now. =) For later, I will, that's the plan. :icon_bigg

3. Hexagon

Most people do, of some kind. I don't, not even in the olympics.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think nationalistic feelings ebb and flow based on many factors: satisfaction with the government, state of the economy, periods of war, global athletic events, etc.

Living abroad and frequently visiting different countries, Nationalism seems to be expressed differently in each country. In emerging markets like china, nationalism seems t be predicated not he growing strength of the country both militarily and economically. In Russia, nationalism seems to be what once has been and a desire to return to the strength that Russia once had. In the UK, Brits are proud of their country while respectful of the place where they are at in the world. In the U.S., my perception is somewhat more paradoxical as the economy is proving but many are being left behind from the progress, and this is reflected in the recent poll results for the president and recent elections reflecting a change in power in congress - all while unemployment drops below 6 percent.

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not really sure, I don't even support England in the world cup, but I'm proud of my country :/ It's weird, I guess it's because it's the community you are a part of, and you feel this loyalty to it.

6. SomeLeviathan

it depends on the socioeconomic and political circumstances in which nationalism arises.

7. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't feel very nationalistic, however, I have a lot of pride in my state(s): California and Colorado. I do think that they are inherently better than other states.

But for some reason, I don't feel that with the U.S.--not because I "hate America", but it's just too big to feel much solidarity with.

Nationalism often seems a hairline away from racism and xenophobia. But there are plenty of ways to be nationalistic without that occurring.

#7 MintberryCrunch, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's important to make the distinction between nationalism and patriotism. Most people probably feel some patriotism towards their country at some point, when it does well in sports or whatever, but this doesn't mean they think their country is inherently better than the rest.

9. Kabuki

Nope, not at all. I do like the place I live in because, well, I've been here for 21 years. I think people will get attached to something, even if it's minimal. Still, I've never really been nationalist. I do not cheer for the US at all at sports or anything. In fact, I've always found myself cheering for other places that I like, not my own. :lol:

10. I feel patriotism during the Olympics but sometimes I don't even root for my own country in world events like the Olympics and World Cup. During the World Cup, I rooted for the Netherlands when they went against Argentina (they lost T_T) and ultimately Germany in the Finals. Don't know why though haha

I'm actually not that satisfied with the U.S to be honest. I feel that nationalism is when I think the U.S is the center of the world.

11. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't think I feel nationalistic exactly, but I wouldn't want harm to come to my country or the people in it.

12. Candace

It depends. I was rooting for my country during the Olympics but wasn't hellbent on them winning every thing. I mean, I love my country, but I don't think that we're the best nor perfect at everything. That's just plain silly.

13. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is a good point.

I'm rather patriotic towards Canada -- it's a beautiful, peaceful country and I strongly believe in some of its defining political stances such as universal healthcare and equal rights for LGBT people. With that said, I think more than anything I feel attached to it because it's something that makes me unique. I've lived in the United States for nearly my entire life but everybody knows me as the Canadian. I don't know, it's kind of fun.

With that said, I'm also grateful to live in America and think this is a great country as well. Having dual citizenship and the ability to go back and forth across the border, seek employment where I want, etc. is a major benefit to me.

Unfortunately, I feel like part of my attachment to Canada is out of necessity. I was born in Quebec and most of my extended family still lives up there. Montreal is my favorite place to go, but some of the politics in the province can be downright scary at times. I despise the separatist movement so much and hate the amount of fear it causes for my relatives, particularly my grandparents who are anglophone. They need Canada to avoid becoming second-class citizens in the place they've lived their entire lives. Fortunately we're finally seeing some stability there.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has the connotation of fanaticism. "Patriotism" is the love of one's country; "nationalism" is an unhealthy sense of superiority and entitlement by your country over others.

It's fine to be proud of your homeland's contributions to humanity. But one must remember it's just a piece of land and a way of life. We shouldn't impose our own on groups which already have those.

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Yeah, I do feel like nationalism is a funny way to put it.