1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sexuality even real?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Neoteric, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Neoteric

Neoteric Guest

Is it actually anything beyond the constricting label it has created?

The Greeks are often the model society when it comes to disproving the idea the homosexuality is new, and all too often you here comments about how they accepted gay men and actions. So much so the example has become nearly mundane and entirely under researched. But they didn't even have a word for homosexuality, and definitely not one for heterosexuality.... And many men who took part in homosexual relationships and the system of pederasty still had wives and children.

It was an entirely different view on sexuality. And as a bisexual I understand that its easy to assume everyone lives in a gray area when it comes to sexuality, but also it leads me to ask if the black and the white truly do exist?

And more so is the naming of sexuality a good self identifying principle of language, or is it a limiting and stunting social construct?

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, Thank you, Neoteric, for posing us this question. I love when the forums have fun questions like this in them.

Secondly, I feel like this is going to be a thread that could very easily lead to controversy, and I hope all posters on this thread share their opinions nicely. As for my personal opinion on this topic, I believe that there is no true answer to your inquiry.

Whether the world is black and white, or shades of gray is completely up to the interpretation of those who exist in it. If you only acknowledge people or things to have certain values, then to you, the person is only made up of those values.

As for the naming of sexuality matter; I think it's a necessary evil. :wink:

3. Candace

I don't that there is one set definition and that everyone is a shade of gray on a black and white spectrum. I think that it's up to a person's individual interpretation to determine what bisexual, gay, lesbian, etc. are, based on what values they *believe* that said individual would have. Like Batman stated, there's not going to be one right answer, and thus you'll wind up with a lot of debate and controversy where two people differ in opinions and values.

4. Neoteric

Neoteric Guest

Well to address the controversy bit I figured as much, but conversations that don't have an edge of controversy are rarely worth having :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As for it being a "necessary evil" how so?

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't think It's gray for everyone; for some people It's pretty black and white although even those that identify as gay/straight may have some 'curiosity'

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. It is black and white for some people. So of course sexuality is real.

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]
    Corresponding opinions are the best.

As for the necessary evil bit, while I don't think the extremely definitive labels for sexuality in our language are especially efficient, fair, or inclusive, it makes it much easier to file and categorize people, as our brains love to do. I think it's a tad inevitable in setups such as that of modern humanity. (And they certainly make dating profiles simpler to fill out)

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Homosexual" means merely that "a person who is attracted to other people of the same gender." You're not getting rid of the definition by removing the immediate label; it's no more or less real because you say it in one word rather than a sentence.

It's not anything particularly special to give a single name to sexualities, like any other complex idea. We'd be pretty stunted as communicators if we could only use the basic words of a language and repeatedly give long explanations instead of single, identifying words.

9. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe that sexuality is a continuum rather than a clearly-defined set of possibilities, but that doesn't mean it's not real. The way we talk about it may be oversimplified, but I think it still works.

10. 101DeadRoses

My question: what is real and what is not? Do we even exist? There is really no way of knowing.

I don't mean to be disrespectful in any way, but asking if sexuality is real is really sort of like asking this: if a toadstool eats a chocolate, will it grow wings? No one knows, because no one even understands the question.

11. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OP's question was valid.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the attraction is real. I wasn't there, but I'm guessing there probably was greek men who strongly preferred men. They may even have had wives and children but that is still not that uncommon today. Sexuality I believe is a continuum to a degree with some people more on one side or the other.

And labels are produced to describe something (that exists).

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Is anything even real? not really, but that doesnt stop it being real enough to me

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My sexuality is pretty black and white and very real , I always notice hot women all the time , I also fantasize about doing things with them .:icon_redf
    My sexuality name got me accurately only attracted romantically and sexually towards women and not men works great for me .

#14 stocking, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

You know, good question. Was a little worried at first.

But you raise a good point. While I believe sexuality is biological in basis, it would be nice to emphasize less so finding labels for orientations but exploring attractions.

16. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd really like it if people didn't need labels, like if there was no word for straight or gay, and everyone was just a person who could love who they chose, without being judged. Unfortunately, our society just isn't like that, you're straight until proven otherwise, and then you're labelled as different :/

17. Hexagon

I posed a similar question a few months ago. There is no doubt that our view of sexuality has changed over the millennia, and I must admit, it does seem as if sexuality itself works very differently now. But people just can't seem to contemplate the idea that their sexuality could be anything other than an immutable biological reality.

18. C P

C P

Looking at some posts, personally, "you love who you love" may sound nice and all when your love knows no limits, but I'd like it if I wasn't so annoyingly reminded of mine. You can argue that labeling it serves as a reminder as well, but it's more of a 'lesser of two evils', imo. It at least acknowledges where I am, rather than letting me hold onto the idea that it isn't real.

I am not in some gray area; things are pretty blatantly black and white, to me(although I'm not blind to how others could see gray for themselves).

19. Burnedcloset

Well, I would love for there to be no labels unless you want a label. It's just not a reality at this time.
    I do think some people are completely on one side of the spectrum. Be it a completely straight guy or a completely lesbian girl ect ect I do think they exist.

Me right now. I think I am one of those 100% on one side. But you never know......

20. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Sexuality is real. There are many who only prefer one gender, I have known them.