1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancer is just an awful disease....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DMark69, Nov 9, 2014.

1. DMark69

Sorry, about this post this morning, but I need to rant.

Yesterday, my sister in law's Father passed away from cancer. I spoke to her last night, and she is a wreck. She has never had to deal with a loss that close to her. My brother's and I have, as we have already lost both parents, all 4 grandparents, and we have an aunt and a cousin fighting this awful disease already. It seems like I have not had a vacation to celebrate something good since 2001...
    My brother is there with her to try to comfort her, and I would love to be there as well, but I live in Wyoming, and they are in Michigan.

Cancer is an awful disease, the patient ends up suffering through radiation and chemo therapy. Their spouse usually also shows the side effects of the chemo since they are so close to each other. All the time you really know that the most the chemo and radiation, and surgeries will do is prolong life, most will really never be cured, and will die from this awful disease.

I would definitely place anyone who can find a cure to this disease would be a bigger hero than all the people thought of as hero's today combined.

Today though I am praying for my brother, my sister-in-law, and their children, as well as his wife and the rest of the family. That they find some comfort in the fact he is no longer suffering.

2. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cancer is one of those diseases that just isn't forgiving like a virus. Killing cancer requires drastic methods like chemo and radiation therapy. Getting cancer late in life, if you've lived a good life, is okay, but cancer in the young..
    I hope that in the next few decades, nanotechnology and genetic manipulation advance to a stage where diseases can have almost negligible impact on human life.

I'm hoping the best for your family and yourself. I've had a lot of friends and family affected by cancer and other disease, so I know the boat you're in. Hold tight onto the good memories, as a smile in remembrance is worth a thousand times more than a tear.

3. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You really do have my thoughts for you & your family. Recently I've noticed more and more neighbours, friends and relations of work colleagues are either being diagnosed or taken away from us with some form of cancer.

Just Thursday I heard an ex-work colleague's husband passed away just weeks after being diagnosed. You really really do begin to wonder when cancer will be come apart of your life either through yourself or someone you love.

I am confident cancer will be beaten one day, we just have to hope it's sooner rather than later. The key in the meantime is catching it early. People need to get checked out with their doctors or whatever if something is wrong. I've heard of several who had some slight issues but didn't get them checked out, later finding out it was cancer.

We're all in this together.

4. Candace

I'm truly sorry that this has happened to you. My condolences are being left here for you to have. I know that it's awful. I lost my uncle (back in 2003) to this horrible disease. He had a one month old child. He's eleven now and he'll never know his father. My family has never been the same ever since :frowning2:.

5. Quiet Raven

No! No matter how late in life, suffering from cancer is NOT okay! Even if you say, "they don't have as much longer to live anyway" cancer is slow, horrible death, that is never "OK".

Just a few years ago I lost my step grandfather from brain cancer, it was really depressing. Seeing how he just changed as he got further along. And he just... Got so much harder to talk to. I hated it... I knew he was suffering... But I just... I didn't know what to say or do during that time.

Aside from my brothers and maybe parrents, he was the closest family member I had. But as soon as he got cancer, he just became so distant. That is largely my fault though... For just not talking to him during that time. And I highly regret that.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cancer is always horrible, regardless of age, but I understand his point. Getting cancer in old age is comparatively common, and if you are facing a terminal illness, you can at least know that you have lived a long and hopefully fulfilling life.

Conversely, someone getting terminal cancer at 30 would be taken away well before their time, in the prime of their life, not getting a chance to grow old. I also can't imagine how awful it is for a parent to see their own child die, as no parent expects to outlive their own children. Getting cancer is bound to be more surprising at a young age, because nobody expects it, but as you get older, the prospect of cancer becomes more real. 93% of cancer cases occur in the over 50s, after all.

#6 imnotreallysure, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  7. Quiet Raven

Well I can see how it is " worse" for younger people. But that doesn't just make it "OK" for older people. Like he said.

Sorry, he may may not have really meant that literally. Bad choice of wording perhaps. But... It just made me kinda mad to see hear that.

---------- Post added 9th Nov 2014 at 10:19 AM ----------

However, I would like to add that just because it is common, does not make it better.... Your other points are valid, but I can't agree with that one.

#7 Quiet Raven, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  8. The Janitor

Out Status:
    Some people
    Cancer late in life is almost inevitable. The human body simply isn't evolved enough to last for 90 years or more. I meant that, if you've lived a good life beforehand, then it generally isn't a big problem. Yes, cancer is a terrible disease, and it's great that we have developed techniques to fight it, but at that point in life it's okay to embrace death. Without death there would be no purpose in living, and if you've lived a worthwhile life, then you can look back at all the good memories, say goodbye to loved ones, and pass away with a smile.

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm very sorry, it is an awful disease. I hope she feels better. My Grandfather died of cancer before I could ever know him, so my life has been effected by it too.

10. Quiet Raven

Well yeah, I can accept that everyone dies. But it is the extreme suffering that type of death can cause that I cannot accept as "OK".

11. The Janitor

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, suffering is one aspect of life that I greatly dislike, and I'm unhappy that a majority of nations, and states in America, don't allow an individual to choose whether or not they are done with the fight.
    However, suffering also gives contrast to joy and happiness, making them more real, so without suffering, there couldn't be the intense happiness that one can feel.

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is an awful disease but they really have made amazing strides over the years and I feel confident that they will continue to do so. My mother was actually given 3 months to live when they found her cancer. It was very late stage ovarian cancer and had already spread through her whole body through the lymph system. They went ahead with chemo and radiation because "well, you never know..." She did finally succumb to cancer a couple years ago--more than 20 years after her original diagnosis! Prayers for continuing progress and for everyone dealing with this terrible disease.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cancer is terrible. I lost my Mother to Breast Cancer 11 years ago and my younger Sister to Leiomyosarcoma 4 years later. It's truly agonising to see your loved ones battle in vain and go through chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment.

14. Quiet Raven

"Without suffering, there couldn't be the intense happiness that one can feel".

Well yeah, I can agree with that. But how does ending your life with suffering help that? That isn't bringing future happiness. Their life is ending, they will feel nothing after this. The end of ones life should be allowed to be happy. Not painful.

15. The Janitor

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hard to attain happiness if you're in a hospital during the end of your life, fighting a disease that drains thousands of dollars as well as most of your energy. The option to end your life before you begin to suffer seems like a good idea to me, because not only does it negate the months, or even years of pain that you and loved ones will face, but it also can save a massive amount of money.
    I might sound a little heartless from my viewpoint, but I think that the choice to fight or die should be in the hands of the one with the disease.

16. Quiet Raven

Actually... I agree with this. I never said I was against that option. I only said I was against the suffering. Which... I think would indicate I would be for the option to end the suffering.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am so sorry for all of the people that you have lost to this terrible disease. My mother is currently fighting stage 4 lung cancer. I just lost my aunt about a month ago. She had been in remission from lung cancer, but it came out of remission, and moved to her brain. She died before her chemo treatment. She had a radiation treatment, and it led to her getting lost in her small tiny bathroom. She lived alone, with her dog Zoey. My aunt died in her sleep, and when they found her, that little dog was licking her feet, trying to wake her up. That poor dog has had 2 owners die on her now, both from cancer.

I know that at some point I will probably end up with it. My dad has had skin cancer, my mom lung cancer. I grew up in an area where radon gas is very common. It comes from the ground. My town made asbestos, which also causes cancer.. So, I know that I will probably get it, and other members of my family will as well.

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen you mention this a few times but I've never really bothered to say how sorry I am. Seems really unfair to have something like that happen. :frowning2:

I have an aunt who is 54, and has had cancer on and off since 25. She had breast cancer, then lung cancer, and now her cancer is back again, but the diagnosis is not certain yet. She even lost her arm due to chemo complications. Life has really hit her hard. She's a fighter though. She is lucky the lung cancer was caught early, considering how poor the outlook is.

I lost a great uncle to leukemia, but those are the only two blood relatives who have had cancer.

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If cancer could just go die in a hole, I wouldn't miss it at all. My friend lost BOTH of her parents to cancer. Nobody deserves that.