1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another religion thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Hexagon

I'm going to take an uncharacteristic approach in this thread. I'm not religious, and I doubt it would surprise many of you to learn that while I'm not hostile to religion, I think we should leave it behind. Even so, we can learn from it, as we can learn from parts of philosophies we don't entirely agree with.

What pieces of wisdom have you gained from religion? Be it a verse, a behaviour, or anything else.

2. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All religion is metaphorical, and should be understood as so. I love greek mythology, and would enjoy other religions as works of fiction if they were not taken so literally.
    I don't believe in any form of deity.

3. Hexagon

I don't believe I asked about your beliefs...

4. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not religious anymore, but I used to be. I liked the story in which Jesus couldn't decide how to deal with an adulterous wife, and he simply turned to the crowd and said "He who is without sin, cast the first stone." (Or something along those lines)

5. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will shove my beliefs in your face and you will like it. :3

6. SomeLeviathan

a sense of community.

7. Hexagon

:lol: I suppose that could be learnt from religion, yes.

8. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This.
    Also, strength to move forward even when the future seems dark.

9. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never having been into religion, I've never really absorbed any of the information from the bible, or it's teachings. However, a priest once taught me a magic trick. So. There you go. I consider that a wise ability.

From what I've read on other controversial religion threads, the mutual concepts between religions seem to be treating people as you want to be treated, being a do-hooded, and not littering. :grin: All, of which I think are great. Of course, these values don't have to be taught via religion, but I do think it's a decent medium for it.

10. LoneWolfRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i am not very religious either, but the ideal of most religions is the fair, helpful and confident person, who is able to axhieve alot alone by will. Impersonally have used those characteristics as guidelines a few times.

11. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I felt this as well when I was a more "practicing" member of my parents' religion.

However, I sort of lost it when I felt that the community would reject me if they discovered my sexuality, especially when our deacon would rail against homosexuality in his sermons. -_- He was the only one who did, but it didn't exactly make me feel welcome.

12. beyourself

beyourself Guest

Religion is what you believe in not what people tell you. You don't have to visit the church to be a religious person. Religion was used and is still being use as a excuse to start wars.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Social Justice. If there's one thing that I'm proud of Chistianity and Catholicism in particular, it's the focus on the people in our society who are down-trodden and ignored by the other social classes. It used to be that every town with a cathedral had a hospital, as well. I was just thinking last Sunday when I went to Mass, hearing a priest from India discussing a Hindu parable in suburban Oklahoma: there is probably nowhere else in this state such a thing would happen except in a Catholic church. Seeing the African family next to me in their finest clothes and others of every different race/ethnicity, I felt kind of glad to have been part of such a universal institution (LGBT issues notwithstanding).

14. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's true, you don't, but it was that sense of community that I wanted from visiting the church. I stopped going because too often church was tied with politics and such. I don't want to sit there and hear the priest endorse Republican politics or complain about homosexuality. We had one excellent priest who would do nothing more than interpret the Biblical readings and how they applied to our lives--I guess that's asking too much.

15. Tardis2020

Whether you believe it or not, Judaism taught me that there is someone, God, out there who created me and everyone, and that if he created me gay that is who I am and to change that would be unthinkable. I find some comfort in that, even though I'm not very religious.

16. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to adopt certain points of view. I went to a meeting for Hinduistic people, and the topic was about the fact that everything is for your own ego. It was very interesting. (Yeah I've been to meetings of religions out of curiosity :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

I'm not religious at all (atheist: secular humanist), but I like to hear different points of view, and understand them. I'm curious how people think, what kind of reasons they have for their believes. It's usually not illogical at all. I want to know why they think that way, and in what way it effects their lifestyle. Rather than trying to argue with them, I try to listen, understand, and explain my own points of view. =) These types of conversations can become very philosophical.

I find religions highly fascinating and I think we can learn a lot from the psychology that goes behind it.

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The live and let live and nature loving mentalities of some religions.

18. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I take Jesus' teachings to heart. No, he didn't say anything about homosexuality. He did say a lot about helping the poor, sick, and hungry. He's very inspirational.

I can't say I'm a "Christian", but on a scale of 1-10, 1 being atheist and 10 being theistic, I'd say 6 or 7.

19. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Skaros, I agree that it's indeed very inspirational. Unfortunately (to me) he did say that we should not neglect the Old Testament, and unfortunately that one is filled with quite some hatred. =\

20. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only thing I take from religion is how easy it is to convince people of literally anything if it includes surviving your own death and burning people you don't like forever.