1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we have.... Private faith schools

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryujin, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Ryujin

2. Hexagon

I find this harder to answer. I'm in favour of religious freedom, generally speaking, and this isn't using tax money. However, I still must take the position that they should not be permitted. Religious freedom is one thing, but it doesn't extend to forcing that religion onto one's children. Yes, they are technically free to make their own decision, but they're all too often unduly influenced, and sometimes coerced, by religious institutions like schools.

3. zygnomic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would agree with hexagon, i feel like maybe for some people that is the right place to believe, because of their beliefs. But i also feel as if some people, are forced to attend such schools

4. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have the right to attend whatever church school that you wish to attend, but I don't think there should be publicly funded ones. Separation of church and state.

5. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as they aren't publicly funded at all, it's fine.

6. I was forced to go to a christian school for years, which really destroyed a bit of my self esteem when teachers and other kids (mainly girls) would reprimand me for not following "gender roles" and liking video games and comics. but that had nothing to do with faith schools in general, just my delusional not-open-to-change school:slight_smile: imo they should allow students to be exposed to other ideas, so if they're like me and taught that being who they are is a "sin" they won't go though childhood confused and denying their special traits and differences. it stinks when parents force religion and closed minded ideas onto children

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe they should be able to exist, but they had better meet the requirements set by their government's or an internationally recognised curriculum if they want their students to be eligible for university.

That said, some governments set a very low bar for university entry as it is, so religious schools may very well be better (I'm looking at some of the worse US states here)

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I will say yes and no. I feel very strongly that K-12 schools here in the U.S. would BENEFIT from remaining private with no funding. If they take the funds from the government, they would be forced to teach common core etc. It would also keep the institution from being influenced to stray from its values.

On the college level, the government already does indirectly fund private universities and colleges. It issues Pell Grants already to students of certain private schools, even while not directly contributing to the schools' general budgets.