1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why don't schools often talk about "homosexual sex"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MissRanger, Nov 10, 2014.

1. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

Schools (at least the schools I've attended to) never talked about any subjects relating to LGBT. It's usually shoved under a rug and ignored by the mass. Do you think that schools should inform students about homosexuality too? Or is it too "controversial" to be even talk about in public? Do you think that society will always remain as "hetero-centric"?

Just curious about what others have to say about this.

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, it really depends on where the school is located. My school has talked about LGBT issues a lot. They used to have an extra period about once a month on Wednesdays for school pride and stuff and during my freshmen year, they used that period to talk about Matthew Shepard's death and that it's important to not bully LGBT people. Last year, the school recognized Day of Silence in April. This year, the school recognized Ally week. I live in a very liberal area, so it's rather expected.

Then it stems to the teacher as well. Last year, my economics teacher really did take time to explain LGBT rights. When we did co-ed projects, he said that because there's more boys than girls that there will be some boys paired with boys and that it's socially acceptable to have same-sex couples and what not.

If you're to be in a very conservative state/country, then I really do expect the issue to be swept under the rug.

3. Quiet Raven

My high school talked about it a bit. I actually remember we had a guest speaker come in. He told us a story about being disowned by his parents because he was gay.

4. Randomcloud

I went to a pretty liberal high school and they actually didn't talk about it either :S I think it should definitely be taught! But of course in a lot of areas, parents would complain *sigh*

5. ForeverYoung000

Where I currently attend high school, for some reason my teacher told us that they aren't allowed to talk about sex or stuff like that. Our school is really small so they can't have a sex Ed class like most public schools would have. We have a certain amount of clubs but no LGBT.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish it was talked about, but it doesn't seem to exist.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Schools don't talk about it because they are politicized, and they are not run in your interests.

Schools are ostensibly supposed to exist to provide you with a safe, public education. In reality, schools are places where students are indoctrinated to believe what their masters tell them. They masters are the political system at large, and this includes not just your parents, but everyone else's.

The parents out there in the community are your enemy. They are the ones trying to keep homosexuality unknown and shameful, with all of the unhealthy and even lethal consequences that can bring.

In a rational school system, students would learn that homosexuality is just a natural human variation. Everyone would learn about STIs, safer sex, consent, pregnancy, and parenthood.

But that's not the school system we live in. We live in a school system that squeezes the humanity out of everyone so that they can get a job in a box.

~ Adrienne, From the Box

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    They told us sexuality is fluid and no is gay or straight and that's the closest we came to homosexual sex . :confused:

9. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is crazy. That isn't even educated information about sexuality. We learned about STI's in health class, but we didn't even have sex ed at my school. I attended a Christian school, and apparently it was "wrong" for them to teach sex ed. :frowning2: It was crazy.

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously?? You were taught this in school? Can I ask if this was a public school, private, religious-affiliated, or whatever?

I honestly can't tell whether it's more helpful or more damaging to LGBT people than to just ignore homosexuality altogether...but it's definitely wrong to teach misinformation. I'd love to know what their agenda really was.

Certainly sexuality *can* be fluid. But damn! To suggest that everyone's *must* be is to suggest that at some time in *everyone's* life, they'll experience a period of same-sex attraction! Holy crap! I can't imagine any school system having an incentive to want people to believe this!

Is the idea that, sure, we all go through phases of craving same-sex sex...but those of us who are decent learn to ignore those cravings until we pass into the inevitable next phase? Seems quite dangerous (to a homophobic agenda) to suggest such a thing. Just wow.

11. Quiet Raven

What I am curious about... Do you know if this is something the school was supposed to teach? Or is it possibly something a particular teacher just decided to tell you? Against curriculum?

12. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My highschool went into great detail about straight sex, but went over gay sex in 10 minutes :lol: At least the info was correct and the teacher just said it as it is :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

I heard that it's illegal for schools to talk about gay during sex ed in Texas.. not positive this is true though

14. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think whenever a school teaches sex ed courses they should always include information about gay sex too. You never know who in the class may be gay or questioning themselves and you want to make sure they are getting educated on how to be safe as well.

15. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't how bad it is in other parts of the country but we learn all of that stuff in MA

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It was a public school , I actually use to believe the everyone is fluid saying , which kept me in denial about being a lesbian . But I remembered some straight students got upset with her and said they never felt ,anything for the same sex and our sex ed teacher yelled at them and said No one is 100% anything .
    Now I know how bad that saying was

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2014 at 06:55 PM ----------

It's something she decided to tell us , I don't know if it was because of me , but I use to ask her advice because I was feeling attractions to other girls and didn't know how to handle it .

Our school was not allowed to talk about protection from stds , but they just told you penis goes in the vagina and that was it .
    We had two sex ed classes just for fun i would mess with the teacher and ask them about protection and they would say "We're not allowed to teach you that "

#16 stocking, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  17. Toast8971

At my high school it's never even mentioned. I can sum up the sex ed unit in a few sentences. "The very first time you have sex you'll get a "common" STD. If you don't get an STD then the girl will become pregnant. If you don't have either a STD or you aren't pregnant you are very unlucky, you must have HIV/AIDS. Your condom will break. You have no idea how to put one on. We will not teach you how to properly put one on as that's too "provocative." Bottom line... don't have sex."

18. Quiet Raven

What??? They weren't allowed to teach about protection??? Do you have any idea why?

I mean... That is one of the most important things to teach about sex...

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There was some law passed in our state that had banned teacher from teaching about contraception and Yes in Connecticut of all places . All they did was tell us all about the stds we could get but not how to protect ourselves against them .

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2014 at 07:40 PM ----------

I went to a public school but they still taught us like we were in a christian school .we had sex ed but there wasn't much to learn .

20. ChameleonSoul

When I took health last year, sex ed was neutral except when it came to pregnancy. Unfortunately the topic of homosexual sex, specifically sex between two males, did come up when we were talking about HIV/AIDS. I felt kind of demonized when those two were automatically associated together, but the damage has been done I guess.