1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does it feel like to come out? If you have?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Burnedcloset, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Burnedcloset

If I ever do it, I feel like I'd never actually get the words "I'm gay" out and I would just cry the whole time. But I think it would be a amazing feeling to finally get it off my chest

What was your experience like?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

#1 Burnedcloset, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your life generally begins to normalise. Your sexuality stops being something that feels crushing and you just get on with life.

It feels like an enormous relief, but it can take a while to get used to it. For me, it wasn't that big of a deal. I came out a lot during the space of a week, and after that things felt normal, but freer.

3. Quiet Raven

I came out to my brother just yesterday. But only him. It felt refreshing just to be able to tell someone. It was strange, I was very nervous to tell him, even though I knew he would be totally OK with it. He wouldn't think any less of me.

And I was right. He told me. "I don't know why you are being so awkward about this, it is perfectly normal".

It feels really nice to be able to talk to him about it.

4. Randomcloud

The first time (to my parents) was very stressful just because I was so afraid of how they would react. I was shaking like a little leaf haha and crying and I swear it took me 5 minutes to get the damn words out.

But then the next few times were less nerve-wracking (to random people at an LGBT meet). I still stuttered and all that just because those words on my lips were SO unfamiliar.

After that (from my experience) it gets easier and easier. I guess as time goes by you learn to accept yourself and feel more comfortable with your identity and so telling people isn't such a huge deal as it used to be.

Good luck! One thing I can say about coming out is that although it can be stressful at first, you feel really happy and free afterwards

5. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't have said it better myself. For me it was relief. Knowing that I an accepted and that it is okay to be me. The majority of the people I've come out to have been very supportive. I don't know what it will be like for you though.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't have to keep pretending to be what everyone expects of you. They start to understand when you make comments or do things that indicate your sexuality (or in my case, gender).

7. Candace

It's very relieving and awesome that you can be yourself among your peers and family, etc. However, it may be a little awkward in the beginning due to the fact that everyone, even the most accepting of folk, have to adjust to the new you, granted that they want to.

8. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I came out to my friends, I was a little nervous, but not very, because I knew that they'd be ok with it.

However, it took forever to come out to my family. I knew that they wouldn't care at all, but fear can be pretty irrational in situations like that. You'll be nervous, but if they're accepting, it will go away pretty quickly.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

9. Ground Piano

Coming out wasn't really a big deal for me , I had just told my mom after she had asked me why I had "never gotten a girlfriend" and she still doesn't really believe me that I'm exclusively gay, but both of my parents are very liberal and were very supportive of me so I guess that's why it's never really been a huge emotional thing for me, just sort of accepted it. My friends were pretty annoying when I came out to them but they were also very supportive. Anyway yes it does feel a lot better because you finally get to be who you are, and you don't have to apologize to anybody, and you can finally be more comfortable with youself, like most social things actually doing it is so much more doable

"The impossible seem just that, until it is done"
    --I forget

Anyway best of luck to you and know that everything seems better once you come out the other side
    Cheers!

#9 Ground Piano, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  10. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me, it felt like the scariest feeling ever when i came out to my class. But, somehow, i managed to force the words out. The feeling afterwords was spectacular. It was like i had stepped out of the person i was pretending to be, and finally was able to show my true face to the sky, and let the warmth of the sun brush it. It was freeing, and amazing, and simply put, awesome.

11. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought my world was going to spontaneously burst into fire, actually, but it didn't. Everyone carried on. Nothing changed. Not even my name and pronouns, unfortunately.

In a way, that's okay. I'd appreciate it if they made more of an effort to see me as who I really am, but they need time to get used to it, and I understand, so... yeah

12. Blossom85

I have only really come out to my mum and best friend, however it have an idea my dad and sister 'know' as well.. It was exhilarating at first and then just as a few others have mentioned, it just stabilized and for me, nothing has changed.. I would hope it doesn't when I fully come out either.

13. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not out to my parents, but my few friends I see everyday know I am not straight. My voice was shaking, but it was worth it. They were ok with it, one friend told me she felt really important because I told her, you know, it's personal thing... she was accepting.

It's a great feeling, you don't have to hide, and you will feel more free.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It feels like after you've been holding your breath for a long time, and you're finally getting some oxygen to those little grey cells. Also, before coming out, I was super paranoid and pretty miserable. I had so much social anxiety and was always watching my steps in trying to avoid even seeming gay. It was mentally very taxing on me, and I isolated myself from situation where I might have to really act straight or interested in girls.

When I started coming out, I feel a lot more emotional and less afraid of expressing that emotion or seeming "feminine". I'll admit that I was even crying some times when talking to people like my counselor or a friend. It was very cathartic. That said, it took me many months on this forum before I came out to anyone in real life. I guess I tried to have a schedule.