1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay men have female brains?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Morrisome, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I read in a book (Why Men Don't Iron) a chapter on how homosexual men are in body male but in mind female that is their brains while developing were not exposed to enough testosterone to transform it from its default female brain to its proper male brain hence a biological explanation for why gay "men" like other men. What do you think guys? is there a woman in there? I know in me there isn't but it's just depressing if it were true (no offense to the ladies, we love you "guys").

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, we don't.

And I find the title of that book rather suspect.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hell no. That would mean that gay men are trans girls, which is not true. What would be the difference between a gay man and a trans girl? Or about gay trans guys? What are they?

This makes no sense...

4. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The author gave lengthy details on the biology of it. In some way the evidence is compelling but I just wish it's not true. We are MEN only a little different than most.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I use to believe this until I learned some gay men can be masculine as well
    gay men have the same brains as straight men .
    I have heard similar about lesbians that we have male brains .:confused:

6. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess the author of the book would respond by saying that the difference between a gay man and a trans girl is that the first identifies as a male but behaves as a female (e.g. liking males, seeking their emotional support, sex with men) but a trans girl identifies as female even though the assigned gender was male.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender essentialism, what fun.

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like a pretty ridiculous folksy explanation of homosexuality. I very much have a male mind--I just happen to like dudes.

9. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The author argues that gay men phenotypically look male (and some can be really male as in masculine) but at some critical phase in pregnancy not enough androgens reached the developing brain to undergo virilization so you end up with a male body and a female brain.

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2014 at 07:23 PM ----------

But there is some pretty scientific discussion about it though. The author isn't a religious nut or anything. He talks science. I on a personal level find the theory intriguing even though can not even on a personal level identify with it as I too have a male mind and like dudes so very much (*hug*)

10. Justinian20

I don't think it's true either, a more accurate article is that gay men have the best of both worlds. I'm not sure if I can find that article, but it pretty much describes how my brain works, I have the feminine side, which is actually sensitivity, caring about myself, sharing feelings with a tonne of people, also everyone else seemed to share feelings with me. I had an incredibly open mind to that, also relevant is that I think a lot about questions and answering them and I have the girls way of doing that(by picturing the answer and how I'm gonna get there as such). My masculine side is focus on one job rather than multitasking, the emotional level(not extremely high, but I would say medium emotion, probably more like a female with not extremely high emotion). It's actually getting a little higher my emotional level as I get tears in my eyes after a happy love ending story, but it's only tears not crying, my masculine side is my senses in musical tastes, gaming taste, movie taste and all that, a hint of female is actually present in movie taste with some random corny and girly comedies being amongst one's I would watch. My reaction to violence and the fight and flight against other men(I fight), but against scary animals it's flight. So yeah I have both worlds in me and most gay men even the more feminine gay guys have a hint of masculinity in the brain.

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2014 at 01:28 PM ----------

By my rant above I meant that everyone has a bit of male and female in their brains and even the straightest of men have it, because we have assigned it but in relation to the brain, I have a manly brain and like men and many of my perhaps actions may be feminine and that is how your author is thinking, just because a guy might like girly stuff doesn't mean he has a female brain unless of course he is a trans female, but the trans female is a she, they were assigned the male gender at birth, but are more like a female than a male.

11. Burnedcloset

I'm no different then a straight guy. I just like other dudes. I was born this was. I might accept my feminine side. Straight guys tend to suppress it. (Not all of them)

12. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I'm really glad you live in a place where you're allowed to be who you are and just get to enjoy the best of both worlds. Where I live, there's only one side and it's a scary side. Thanks for your reply, mate! :kiss:

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2014 at 07:32 PM ----------

I suppose you are right. There's a bit of each in everyone and society makes some people suppress one to be more in line with a gender role.

13. Randomcloud

No lol. Gender identity is separate from sexuality.

14. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to be so dismissive of it--I haven't read it so I can't properly comment on it. It does sound interesting even if it at first it doesn't like a very appealing theory :dry:

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

16. Candace

No, that's utterly ridiculous and offensive to me. I am NOT a girl :dry:.

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, there is some research showing gay male brains seem to have connections that are not like heterosexual men, and some of those structures are similar to heterosexual women. It makes sense (IMO) since they are both attracted to the same [apparent] gender.

#17 resu, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like a really bad conflation of sexuality and gender. Isn't it transsexualism that is caused by having a different brain structure than one's birth sex??

19. AlamoCity

20. Hexagon