1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Males (cis and trans): what makes you feel you have a "male brain?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Nov 10, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

If you say you have a "male brain," what does that mean to you? Do you explain it based on stereotypical traits? Do you ever feel you use stereotypical traits to validate your gender/sexual identity (e.g. try to "prove" you're a "real man," even if gay?)

-------------------
    For example, without resorting to stereotypical behavior (e.g. my mom gets lost much easier than I do while driving), I don't know how I would know I have a "male brain."

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never had serious doubts about my gender. I think that having no discomfort with my identity is an indication that I'm male.

3. Ruthven

gender roles and all that shit have nuthin to do with gender so obviously i'm not basin it on that

basically i know my brain sex/body map is male cuz i have dysphoria over physical sex characteristics that are not masculine/male enough, or at all. and thankfully i'm on T so with time my body and face and everything will be aligned to how it should be and yeah

4. C P

C P

I don't know what to say at this point really. I've been floating between being fine identifying as male and agender(feel a lot more like the latter, especially over time), hence why I wrote my gender the way it is.

Other than concealing where my attractions really are, I haven't ever really tried to prove anything in regards to 'being a -real- man', so that's not something I can go on about either.

I'm curious to see what some other answers will be though.

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretend that you could either be born under the sign of fire or the sign of water. Nothing affects it, you're just randomly assigned to one or the other (or in between, sorry :astonished:)

Some people are born under the sign of fire and feel comfortable with that. It feels fine to them. Others born under the sign of water and feel comfortable with that, and it feels fine to them as well.

However, occasionally, some people are born under the sign of fire, but feel more affinity towards the sign of water, or vice versa. There's not really a reason - you just feel as if you belong there, and you're more comfortable with it. Some people even feel affinity towards both fire and water or neither. Some feel an alternating, changing affinity.

That's how I view gender, with female as fire and male as water, or vice versa. It doesn't really matter. You just feel it.

#5 Nychthemeron, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  6. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I feel extreme discomfort regarding my physical sex and being perceived as female--I have dysphoria, which is essentially the byproduct of a mind/body incongruence. How I was born with such an incongruence, that I'm not certain, but my gender has nothing to do with gender roles or how I feel based on stereotypes of the male gender. I am male because my brain is designated as such.

It's also worth noting, more importantly, our understanding of the brain is still very, very limited. It is incredibly complex, as an organ, and despite the intensive studying and research we still have a limited understanding of the organ’s complicated functions and physiology.

7. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with those who are saying you just feel it. It's not easy to explain.

I know that despite all my effeminate characteristics and interests, I am 100% male. That's why it annoys me to no end the way gay characters in the media are sometimes presented as wanting to be women, when that is not the case at all.

I know that my mind and body match up. There are times when I feel uncomfortable around people are more stereotypically "manly" than me, but when that happens it's more about me wishing people could see that being a man is more than just matching stereotypes and won't look down on those who don't. Even other gay guys say things "I hate fem guys--just act like a man!"

All that is silly to me. It doesn't matter how you act--if you know you're male, that won't be changed.

8. Burnedcloset

I actually have thought into my gender. After I found out what transgender was. I think that was my inner homophobia. I didn't think for very long. But I'm definetly 100% male. No doubt.

It's something you "feel".

9. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I've always had this feeling I was a guy, but before was never consciously aware of it. Being raised in a society that puts emphasis on gender roles confused me even more so, but finally I put the pieces together and then just instantly knew. I don't really know any other way to describe it.

10. Hexagon

I do have more stereotypically male traits than female ones, but I really don't feel this is related to my gender identity, probably much like feminine men still have a male gender identity. I just feel it, like Nych said.

11. SomeLeviathan

sexual dimorphism doesn't exist at a neurological level Neurosexism - SJWiki

it also engages in erasure of nonbinary folks.

what's my brain, neutral? Do my bigender friends have both?

12. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know, but for me it's pretty obvious that I am male.
    I'm totally androgynous in appearance, but besides that, I'm pretty masculine (personality, interests etc. etc.)

13. HeHimHarrison

I do feel like I have a way of thinking that is like a lot of guys. A lot of it is based on stereotypes but I know that if I could I would be a biological father when I get older. I wouldn't want to carry a baby - it feels so wrong and disgusting for me. That I think is the most telling part of me that says, "Hey, you're a guy and nothing can change that". I think it's more like instinct than just happening to follow male stereotypes.

14. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like I should have a penis. I feel more comfortable when people treat me as a boy. Nothing more to it than that.

15. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just being in my body always felt alien.. I always felt trapped. I like the female body...just not me being in one if that makes sense. It's really hard to describe but I feel male; like I should have a dick, and that this body isn't mine. Like, my brain is definitely male but something went wrong and I got the wrong gendered body.

16. Bootsandbraces

I just simply do I don't know how to explain it