1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christians : How Did You Reconcile Your Faith With Your Sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Nov 11, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Some Christians seem of the opinion that if you are gay and Christian, you are in denial and ignoring God's word. So how did you accept you are gay but retain your faith? Just curious.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I couldn't so I became an atheist

4. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Yes to the above. I love Justin Lee. Kathy Baldock is a straight advocate for gay Christians ... she has some pretty good videos on You Tube

5. AlamoCity

There are several questions that arise when one tries to reconcile homosexuality with the Bible. Personally, I consider myself an Agnostic Christian.

Based on my own understanding, I usually throw out the Old Testament/Leviticus portions of the Bible because Jesus replaced the Mosaic Law. The passages that seem to imply God is against homosexuality in the New Testament could be construed to be more against paganism in the sense that pagan temples had (male) prostitutes and, also, in the olden times, forms of pederasty were seen as acceptable to Roman contemporaries. This was a practice Jesus and his disciples no doubt would want to abolish.

That said, if being gay/bi is Kosher, no pun intended, it could still be a sin in the sense that it would be fornication if one acted on the impulse. Now, if a couple is in a committed, monogamous relationship (given that gay marriage is a novel invention and not available in all jurisdictions or in antiquity), would it be permissible? If gay marriage is available, should the couple avoid sex until marriage? Those are questions that arise when I struggle with homosexuality and faith.

I find solace in my own hubris: if God is evil enough to consider my benign nature an abomination, I would not want to spend an eternity worshiping him; if God is benevolent and just, he will surely accept and embrace who I am.

As the Bible says, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

6. C P

C P

Realizing what I did about myself is what pretty much sealed my disconnection from it, especially after lgbt topics became more of a hot topic and I really heard what some of the churches I grew up in/around had to say about it. I had already been questioning religion for some time for other reasons, so this was the final straw you can say.

7. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Love is love and god is love ^-^

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never felt they were at odds.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's extremely difficult being that almost all Christians seem to think that there is this big gay "cog" of sorts that is out to destroy them. Therefore, many cast condemnation in the "love the sinner, hate the sin" fashion. No one has exactly proven to me how that one works in practice. I have retained my faith in Christianity for now. I could never be an atheist though. I have seen too many unexplained forces of good and evil. In my mind, there are at least forces working in the world. Some may call it karma or the universe, but I believe something has to control that.

At worst, there was a God that created the universe and controls it when he wants to do so. At best, he does have a plan that is woven together very uniquely, and he is shaking his head at how so many churches have perverted the Bible by viewing it through the eyes of bigotry. I choose to believe that Christ existed and did save us and throughout the 2,000 years since he lived on this earth, man has forgotten the central theme of his ministry: love and salvation for ALL who choose Him.

10. PurpleGrey

Well, for me it was a little logic here, a little faith there. For one, the whole man lie with a man as with a woman shtick is listed among the "spiritual cleanliness rules", not with any moral rules, and God said, "Do not call unclean what I have made clean." Or something like that. Plus, mankind is constantly sinning and breaking Commandments, and God always forgives. Jesus said that the best way to serve God is to not be a dick to anyone.

All that, and I prayed and asked God about it, and He put the answer in my head that being gay is no more a sin than being straight, and that all the rules that apply to straight relationships also apply to gay relationships.

As Bob the tomato says, God made you special, and He loves you very much. :slight_smile:

11. Burnedcloset

I'm still thinking about this.

I know LGBTQ people will agree. I WAS BORN THIS WAY!

I feel it in my bones. I didn't chose this. I've tried to "turn" myself straight. I've prayed for it. It doesn't work. I like boys.

It makes no sense for god to put me in this world with attractions to the same sex, For it to just be so that I don't act upon it. It's just so contradictory. I should not be here, to not have a partner and be celibate. Everyone deserves love. For some people to not be able to have love. And share the world with another person. That is injust.

I beleive in god And I'm gay.

#11 Burnedcloset, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  12. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me, there was no question when it comes to God accepting me. He made me, he knows who I am better than I do.

The problem, is in the religion. And that is a one-on-one battle with every person you meet. (And this is why I don't have a church.)