1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you think about Jared Leto's performance in DBC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I really loved the movie in general, I liked his acting but I didn't thought his character was as lovable as it should be. I think I was supposed to care a lot more for her and I just couldn't. Take other actors playing transgender characters, like John Cameron Mitchell, Terence Stamp, Cillian Murphy, Felicity Huffman. All of them portrayed their characters with a lot more charm than Leto did imo and yet they didn't get academy awards (some of them weren't even nominated). Maybe it's not his fault, it's just that his character is very shallow and there's no much to work with

And of course, I can't stop thinking about how unfair it is for real transgender women to hire non-transgender people to play these roles. I was reading things like "transgender women WOULD NEVER win Oscars" or "a transgender woman playing that roles wouldn't even count as acting" WTF :tantrum:

In short, I really like the movie and his performance, but when I start thinking about it way too much I just don't buy it. And talking about award shows, do you think that the razzies are transphobic? nominating actors in drags as the opposite sex

2. js92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I personally really liked his character. I'm not sure why. I always like people with that character's type of attitude whether they be gay, straight, transgender, etc. His character was kind of cocky but lovable at the same time. She comes off at first as very nonchalant about the situation she is in until the point when she realizes that she doesn't have much time left in her life. She then shows how terrified she is about dying. Also, Laverne Cox is a transgender person who has been praised for her role in Orange is the New Black. She is one of my favorite characters in that show.

3. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry but his character is so useless in my opinion. She's got "attitude", yes but not much more. Not a very juicy character if you ask me

There are more inspirational transgender character out there (none of them won an Academy award)