1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoyed!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SunShadowDragon, Nov 12, 2014.

1. SunShadowDragon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I go to this sexual education class that has ONE class dedicated to LGBT! Really annoying. Apparently they think that it is a topic for their class, not part part of everyday life!

2. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hmph the education system needs an overhaul big time because that is one of my pet peeves too

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks like you're not the only one annoyed by the lack of LGBT sex education in schools.

It's ridiculous, and fundamentally dangerous not to educate kids about all aspects of sex - whatever their orientation.

4. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha its awkward all around just let it pass.

5. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least you have a class relating to it. They just like to brush over LGBT rights at my school. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be a huge pain in the butt in my health class, considering I'll be a senior and know that half of what they're teaching is wrong.

6. ChameleonSoul

EleanorHunter has a good point. My school doesn't mention LGBT sex education at all. The only time that it was ever mentioned in my health class last year was when we talked about HIV and being MSM increases your risk of contracting it. Needless to say, I pretty much ignored the entire part about birth control and pregnancy.

7. Candace

I'm sorry that it's like that, but hey...at least they're acknowledging it, right?

But they really should offer more on that. Too many non-LGBT classes and only one LGBT. That's really unbalanced.

8. our school has absolutely none, and censors the topic in its entirety... a friend tried to do a project on LGBT and the teacher wouldn't allow it because it was an "offensive topic"

9. Blossom85

I don't think we learnt anything about the LGBT community when I was in school, so I think one topic is better then nothing.

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My Christian school equated it to one rung higher than bestiality and pedophilia. At least what you are getting sounds positive... When it was just the guys in a class for a day separated from the girls, our chaplain told us "you're all the same size down there." This was in 11th grade, and I'm thinking I KNOW this is b.s, but I dare not speak up and challenge him so as to out myself.

11. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    WTF?! Good lord. I went to a Christian school also. Baptist. But they didn't talk about the "sins" of homosexuality or anything like that. It was just completely ignored. Never brought up at all. And what kind of statement was that from your chaplin? What is the purpose of making such a dumb statement? Why even bring that up? I mean even straight highschool boys know better than that. The boys at my Christian school would talk about all kinds of sexual things when the teachers were out of the rooms. Unfortunately that was how I got sex education from the conversations of experienced teenage boys.... And mentions of STI-STDs in health class.... that was it. Pathetic really. I am really an advocate for educating our kids about sex (all sex!) The more you know, the more you can be safe about stuff. Making it unspeakable doesn't help anyone. Doesn't do our young people a service.

12. Chelski

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was nothing on the LGBT community in my school. Not even once mentioned..

Baring in mind sex education classes only came about in the later stages if Yr 11 (around 15 years old) and that was only because my class wasnt getting a qulifaction for R.E.

Fair to say a few of my classmates were already parents at that time...

I think the who subject needs reviewing...