1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Did You Feel When You Left Secondary/High School?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Nov 12, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

I've realised today that you need to make each of your days count and even more so considering I have a year and a half left of Secondary School, and then it's me against the world. That's why I've told my friends I'm not wasting time solving petty grievance after petty grievance with people who really shouldn't have been friends in the first place. I don't want to look back at Secondary in a few years and still have this "he said, she said" mindset. So how was your final year of Secondary/High School Education and how did you feel upon completing it.

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My final year of Secondary School was pretty good. I think people were just starting to settle down into young adults. They were also too focused on their exams to cause any trouble.

Looking back on your school days does have an element of nostalgia to it - but I'm under no illusion how tough school life is. When I finished school, I thought I'd stay in touch with everyone in my class, but realistically this doesn't usually happen. Just hold on to the important ones.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kind of relieved. I don't really feel nostalgic about high school because it hasn't been that long for me (left in 2011), but I do feel nostalgic about primary school. I basically grew up with those people and I do miss them. I try to stay in contact with some of them. Some of them I have known since nursery (all the way back in 1998).

But kids in high school now have to stay in education for another two years by law. I missed out on that by a year or two.

#3 imnotreallysure, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

At first I was so relieved just to have made it through, I couldnt even think about anything else. Rode out the next few weeks or so high on the wave of graduations and parties and bonfires that ensued. It felt good while it lasted, until everyone else started moving on with their lives while I realised I had nowhere to go. Things have pretty much been that way ever since.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Happy! I basically only miss the lower work load, free textbooks/ no tuition and a few good teachers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. iHeartYouu

I havent left yet, still left with one more year and I dread it. I love secondary school life, so much memories :frowning2: and I cant bear to leave.

7. Candace

Relieved! Once I got to college, I realized how much of a joke high school is and how much I actually enjoyed being in college, not being forced to be at school because the government told me so. I think that I liked being treated like an adult (including making my own decisions). I liked doing homework that was constructive, helpful, and meaningful to the learning process, not because the school system had to fulfill some arcane and arbitrary requirements imposed by the county.

8. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first three years of high school for me really sucked, but I turned it around in my senior year. Found friends that I actually got along really well with, got involved in theater, met my first boyfriend, took AP Psychology which was my favorite class ever and led to my college major.

Leaving I felt terrified. I went to high school in a small town so I'd known most everyone there since I transferred in third grade. Even when it sucked it was familiar. I'd be going nine hours away for college to a place where I didn't really know anyone. That was four years ago, though, and once I settled in I can't explain how much happier I became.

9. Blossom85

I must say I felt really relieved when I left.. Not that I had a bad time in school, but it was just a long long time in school, all the way from kindergarten to hear 12 so that was 13 years of my life in school, so it was just nice to get out and be able to do something else.. I did miss the friendships and social aspect of it when I left though.

10. confuseduser99

HAPPY! I HATED high school. Didn't have many friends, and was never comfortable in my own skin. I still look back at high school and cringe.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who is almost through the looking glass when it comes to finishing high school, I'm definitely relieved it's almost over but at the same time it's kind of bittersweet too because I'm so involved and I'm going to miss everybody.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was elated to get out. Finally, the straight A weirdo kid got to leave for what seemed like the big city. I got to leave my small town for a university, in a place that had tons of bookstores, record stores, a cool comic book shop, places to see punk bands play, this alley where all the cute skaters hung out...and finally, I could maybe meet a boyfriend! Which, I did. I had some wild times in college; I did my share of experimenting, but they were pretty much the best years of my entire life. Looking back, I was really lucky to have gone to a university, even if I did have to work some kinda crappy jobs, though then again, a lot of that $ was spent on pinball, video games, comics and weed. And books, I bought tons of used books, and then, there was the poetry readings, and how much I loved my writing classes, and reading in front of people. If I could have stayed in college forever, I probably would have; the world of work has been progressively less fun.

"What a drag it is, getting old...", as The Rolling Stones famously said.

#12 HuskyPup, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  13. Yosia

Very grateful, I hated school.

14. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I finished two days ago.

I felt sad leaving. It was the moment I spent the entire year dreading.
    I just see myself doing nothing at home from now...

15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very happy, I was so bored at the end of the year. I definitely miss my friends, though I stay in contact with them (although I don't stay in contact with a few =\ ). And now, in university, I wish I could stop already. I really want to move on. :lol: It's my second year (Bachelor) and I need to finish this year + another year. I hope to find a job before doing a Master's degree - it's possible with what I study, I really hope I'm lucky! Then I'm 21, can start to work and have a house (and more). :icon_bigg

16. Hexagon

Great relief.

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was really looking forward to college more than I was feeling bittersweet about leaving high school. I made a lot of friends, some of whom I'm still in contact with. However, two days after my last day of high school, I joined EC. Our class song was ironically the song made famous by the movie "The Breakfast Club," so I guess it has some sort of sentimental value.

[youtube]CdqoNKCCt7A[/youtube]

18. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I felt fine, pretty much the same, actually. However, high school didn't prepare me for anything at all.

19. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was happy but then I realised that college was a lot harder so I now miss those care-free days of being able to just turn up to exams without having to even study for them...

20. Justinian20

It felt good to finish as I didn't have that many friends I talked to and I was just overall bored by school, I liked leaving as I was teased a lot in high school mainly because of my sexuality especially during the end when people just started telling me 'I must be gay."

I was mostly an outcast because of this, people never really accepted me fully, I was only the class clown cause I did all this funny stuff in high school. I was quite the comedian, but when it came to serious friendship that's where I was the outcast. I remembered high school and primary school most of the time for me not fitting in with anyone as a complete outcast.

---------- Post added 14th Nov 2014 at 12:52 AM ----------

When I look back at our grade song, we could've done way better than Confessions of a Teenage Dirtbag. I pretty much remember everyone's taste in music was horrible at the time.