1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cell phones and High Schools

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Quiet Raven, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet Raven

What was easily my most despised rule during High School was the very strict Cell Phone ban. And I didn't have a phone! It just bothered me that much. If someone is seen with a phone on school premises, in class or out, they take it for the rest of the day. That is beyond ridiculous!

And now my brother is teacher at a High School in China. It is even worse there. Same rules, except they lose their phone for the whole year! What the hell??

Why are they so against students making contact with the outside world? I just don't get it!

OK, in class, I understand. Phones are distracting. But can't they just pull it out for a second to check the time? "Buy a watch" they say. Yeah, well why can't I just look at the perfectly good time telling device I have? They never gave a reason.

I even wrote up an essay for one of my teachers as an assignment. Someone who was very much for this rule. I gave reasons as to why I believe that rule should not exist. He gave me perfect scores on it. Praised it for the rest of the year. But it didn't change his mind, and he never argued against it.

My main highlights were these: what if a student was not good at making friends, was lonely, and needed someone to talk to during breaks?

What if there was a family emergency, and they weren't comfortable calling through the office, where the the staff will be listening in?

And most importantly, what harm to cell phones cause?? I understand if it is during a test, and I understand if they have it out in the class for longer then a second, (time it takes to check time) but that is it. Taking it for the rest of the day just for seeing it? The whole year??

What about the schools you went to? How did they treat Cell phones? And how much did it bother you?

As for me... Honestly, if I had a cell phone back then, and someone tried to take it. I would have fought. I would have lost, but I wouldn't have given in without a good punch first at least. And I was a very passive person. No one would expect that from me. Of course I feel bad thinking that now. Since I know it is not the staff's fault. And my brother is now one of those people who is forced to take people's phones when he doesn't like it either.... But I wouldn't have been able to help it, I'm sure. I had too much anger against that rule I would not have just given in.

Sorry about the rant. But I'm really curious about what you think.

#1 Quiet Raven, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. Ticklish Fish

it's funny because in universities they encourage some form of technology (like people taking pictures of datas or slide or professor-official answer keys to old exams), but in high school you have to write everything goddamn painstakingly with pencil

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My English and history teachers allow me to take notes on my phone for the sake of easy access with Google docs. They know I work on it, and a lot of other students do it too (and of course most students work on laptops in classes such as history or economics, so not altogether many teachers would dislike students doing it on a phone) We ask permission and can use it when there are notes to be taken. Teachers aren't allowed to confiscate them, although obviously they'll tell students to put them away when it's clearly not work, and teachers don't have control over students during breaks. We're allowed to take family calls if we step outside of the classroom, which is permitted at any time, if thought rude without warning or while the teacher is speaking.

It's more understandable when the school as a whole or individual students have poor work ethic, though. But to take a phone for the whole year is tantamount to theft; students still need phones outside of school. As for taking it for the day, it's still not really fair, but the motivation isn't that bad if the student continually refuses to do work in class.

4. Tardis2020

My high school allows you to use cell phones in the halls between classes, and in the cafeteria during lunch. Some teachers let you use them in class, and most let you use it if you ask.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    College is different and isn't compulsory... but I agree that high school students should be able to use their phones outside of class. I never understood why in high school it wasn't allowed. I can understand in class, though as Ticklish Fish said, in college many professors let you take photos of their slides or record their lectures. Also, in biology we had to memorize a bunch of bones and body parts and taking photos of the items in lab was helpful. Still, some teachers in college get mad when they see you using your phone in class; it's simply disrespectful (most probably don't say anything, though). But I guess in college you're assumed more responsible, and they aren't there to force an education on you. If you wanna fail, it's your own fault, no longer the teachers'.

One thing that bugs me is that many people in my class have laptops and ipads. My laptop is too bulky to bring and I don't use it enough; however, I always have my phone, but if I want to do something related to class on my phone (which is exactly the same as an ipad), if the teacher saw me they will assume I'm not paying attention. I guess each item has a different connotation...

6. ChameleonSoul

Our school has a pretty strict cell phone policy. The only places we can use them is either in the cafeteria and outside of the school building after school. It's annoying because if an emergency ever occurred and someone needed to get a hold of me, I'd be completely in the dark.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cell phones weren't banned when I was in high school. But then, no one had one, either... Mobile technology was quite a bit different. Link shows one "mobile phone" of the era...

Mobiles through the ages gallery - 1988 - Ericsson Hotline

Old fart memories aside... I'm not sure I feel comfortable with a total cell phone ban. If nothing else, I think there is a basic safety issue. In many places, I think it's a good idea for students to have a cell phone in case of emergency. Just in case something happens on the trip to or from school. Plus--as the most recent shooting incident in my state shows--school itself can be a deadly place these days.

Past this, there are legitimate uses during school time for a cell phone. It could be used for taking notes, for example.

I think schools might ban for one of three reasons:
    • Phones can be a distraction. But that can be handled by having specific rules, such as saying that cell phones should be kept on silent.
    • Phones could be used to cheat on tests. But can't that be handled simply by saying: "It's test time! Clear your desks of everything!"?
    • One worry might be the cost of the phone, and parents getting mad at the school if something happens to it. But can't that be handled simply by some "we assume no liability" lawyer type talk?

Oh, yes...one other issue hits my mind. A lot of people who make these rules are probably older, and may not be as in tune with the tech realities of today. I remember this issue vividly when I was in high school. Then, it was teachers who did everything they could to resist computers. My German teacher, in fact, hated computers so much that one summer she took a computer home reluctantly. The new text included computer software. The next fall she reported that she hadn't turned the computer on even one time.

Today, I can imagine a 60 year old principal who has a cheap flip phone for emergencies. He never uses it otherwise, but has had it at the urging of his kids long enough that he doesn't fully realize that there are no phone booths to be found in 60 mile radius of his school.

8. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i find that rule primitive and stupid

9. Quiet Raven

Lots of very good points in your post. But I would like to highlight this one and say... I am surprised there aren't many parents speaking out against schools saying this stuff actually. If I were a parent I know I would!

10. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People use their phones all the time in class. I'm guilty of it occasionally but there are people who are on their phones the entire school day. I understand why they have the rule, a year is definitely way too much though

11. Quiet Raven

But what's wrong with being on them during breaks?

12. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i find nothing wrong being on them durring breaks

13. QueHaPasado

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    One of the issues I have with using cell phones in school is that sometimes my teachers will say "you can use your phones to do the assignment." This, of course, translates to "if you're cool, you'll use your phone for this assignment" in all our weird high-school brains. So about 90% of the class pulls out their cell phones, and this is the norm. But the norm of using a phone in class also makes those who are not allowed to own or can't afford a phone feel left out, uncool, etc. This was me until a few months ago, and looking around at the rest of the class red-faced because I wasn't allowed to have a smartphone is not a memory I will easily forget.

14. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Well at my school it is encouraged that you have a phone, considering we use them for everything. Although most schools here allow students to have phones and use their electronic devices but I don't know about many other places out of state. I don't know what I would do without my phone…wait I just rembered I don't have a phone anymore :tears::tears::tears:

15. SomeLeviathan

I had a special set of medical circumstances in high school that required me to have access to my cell phone (and by extention, my parents) for emergencies. It was a flip phone, nothing I could have used to cheat or whatever.

16. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    aww there there -hugs- dont cry now atleast you arent being kept awake by sirens at night because people are doing dumb things in my neighborhood rightnow

17. Candace

This. Unlike high school, they treat you like adults in college. In my university, they allow food/drinks to be brought into class, along with electronic devices in order to take notes. Like Ticklish Fish has noted, it's encouraged. If you don't have an Ipad, Iphone, or laptop, then it'll be a bumpy ride through that semester course.

18. SomeLeviathan

I actually had a professor ban all electronics in her writing class. I got an exception because of dysgraphia that allowed me to take notes and do exams with my laptop.

exception, not the rule.

19. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

For my high school the rules varied depending on the class and teacher. The official policy was keep it in your locker/pocket/dont let it be seen but some teachers would have you set it on the desk or outright not allow it in class at all. If you're caught with it once I think you're supposed to lose it for the period and if you're caught again you lose it for the day. Some teachers weren't as strict and let you off the hook though. Others were so chill they let you use it on homework or in study hall pretty much without any problem. I think my school in general has gotten more progressive about it since I left. Hell they give everyone their own Ipad to do work on now.

20. Quiet Raven

Well, yeah. Encouraging people to use a phone for an assignment is kinda dumb I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.