1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to write a movie review?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Nov 13, 2014.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always tried to write movie reviews, especially when I was a teenager but I just had to delete them all because they were crap! lol! I used to get ideas from a semi-professional reviewer but then his style seemed repetitive throughout the years and he tells a lot of details and basically spoils the movies to the point that it's better to actually see the movie before you write his reviews

And I just want to have my own ideas, so where should I start? Should I review the week's opening or should I review classics (write reviews about classics is very difficult by the way)? Forgotten old movies, maybe?

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps my advice is not really good, apologies in advance. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I usually write spontaneously, what comes up is what I write down. About what you should review, it's up to you. Review the things you want to review. I don't see a reason why you want to force yourself into reviewing something you don't like (unless it's mandatory).

You can take two different approaches (there are more, but this is easier to explain). You can take the objective approach, meaning you set aside your own opinion. Thus liking horror films doesn't make the film better. You review the film purely based on whether the lightning is good, whether the acting is done properly, whether the plot is elaborate and so on. A second approach is the subjective approach. Including things such as "If you like horror films, this one is an absolute cracker! I found myself covering my eyes, but I couldn't look away at the [...]" could do (based on the people you are trying to reach, that is) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So, define the people you are trying to reach. Think about the kind of films you want to review, what you like or what you want/need to do. Think about the approach (is it more personal or factual)?

Good luck!

3. shinji

shinji Guest

To expand on what Quemmy said...

Don't review old stuff. Watch something new, then quickly start writing up a review, allowing your mind to "transfer" all your thoughts onto the paper/screen.

When reviewing stuff that you've already seen, your thoughts tend to "linger" and not be quite as "pure" as those, you can get from a "first thoughts" approach.

Don't allow your personal preferences to cloud your judgement, just write up objectively. Also, make sure to be vague about the actual plot of the movie.

4. LunaticSoul

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You said that you've written a few but deleted them 'cause they were crap, it's not like everyone is born with a talent of a novelist so I guess you shouldn't be discouraged if the first few you write aren't exactly perfect. The more you write the better you'll get and eventually you'll find your own style. Also, like Quem said you can adopt either of two points of view (I always found writing subjectively easier). And to be honest you'll always have a slight bias when you write about things, it's very hard/nearly impossible to get rid of it and position yourself outside of your own views.

Best of luck! :slight_smile:

5. kem

kem

some general pointers:
    1) definitely start reading reviews written by professionals.
    2) don't do old classics unless you like bludgeoning dead horses.

some advice for writing reviews in general:
    1) place the piece in context. Either in regards to the timeline of the director, actors, or other players in the film, or all of them; or, in the context of other recent films of the same genre. Draw comparisons, make statements about the future of film, go grandiose.
    2) Use a thesaurus and a dictionary, but don't use words you don't understand :grin: I'm not trying to be condescending here, it's just something that seems to happen a lot... If you haven't already, learn the jargon.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

A very easy way to 'get into the flow of things', is:

1. Select a movie that you really like, or really dislike. This will generate a more passionate interest, which will really help in motivating you.

2. If you haven't seen the film in a while, watch it twice. Once, to just let yourself enjoy it, and maybe take some casual notes and observations. Then twice, to look for things, you may have missed the first time, as well as to expand and elaborate your notes and observations.

3. Decide on the context of your review. If a movie is a Comedy film, try to incorporate tidbits of humor and wit. If a movie is a Horror film, try to incorporate bits of psychological or emotional tidbits of human experience and psyche prowess. If a movie is an Action film, try to incorporate tidbits of excitement and intensity. If a movie is a Romantic film, try to incorporate tidbits of human emotion. In any of them, if a situation calls for it, feel free to add your own personal pieces, to give your review a more human and genuine dual layer to it.

4. Decide on the purpose of the review. Is it to convince another, of whether a film is passable or to be trashed? Is it to provide your own opinion, of whether a film is good or bad? Or, is it to provide a general and informative collection of information, to allow the reader/viewer a quick crash course experience? You can decide on what to spoil, if anything, but usually, a spoiler tag is suggested.

5. Practice. Your first review might feel stiff, or not even come off the paper/screen, but that is fine. In due time, you'll get better at it, become a natural, and, pretty soon, your problem won't be how to write a review, it'll be on how to switch up your style -- but that, is something you'll probably be able to handle, at a later time.

6. Even though, ultimately, this is your review. Do not forget, that the reader/viewer wants to be entertained and/or informed. Don't overdo it with the big words, or try to impress them. People want something easily comprehensible, that allows them to feel intelligent. But, this is common sense. However, I feel it is important enough, to warrant a friendly reminder.

7. Enjoy yourself. If you don't like it, it will show. And trust me, genuine negativity -- without wit or humor -- is fucking annoying, after a short while.