1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a douchey advert

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 741852963, Nov 14, 2014.

1. 741852963

Now male grooming adverts are hardly the type to be grown up and dignified but this one has gotten under my skin (pun intended).

[YOUTUBE]First Girlfriend vs. First Real Girlfriend | Gillette Commercial - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Quote: "At some point every man is ready for his first real girlfriend".

Now I'm not usually one to go about crying "heteronormativity" or "homophobia", I appreciate that we are a minority group so I don't expect us to be mentioned or featured in adverts. HOWEVER, for an ad to pretty much eliminate the existence of gay men (or asexual or bi men for that matter) by stating "every man" needs a real girlfriend is very ignorant - surely someone from the marketing department must know someone gay and realise thats a bit of a wild statement. Surely they could have reworded it to make it less offensive - how about: "At some point every man is ready for his first real lover".

Sigh, its an annoying one. Gay men have to shave aswell and must make up a noticeable chunk of their sales figures. I'll vote with my stubble on this one, it'll be Wilkinson Sword for me then!

Now for some positivity. THIS is how you do an advert:

[YOUTUBE]Guinness advert - "Men and women shouldn't live together" - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

#1 741852963, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    shave commercials are so not lgbt friendly

3. Tardis2020

Its marketing really, there is an incredibly large difference in the number of the straight men than gay men. So who do you try to appeal to with? The straight ones. Also, lover sounds bit more...sexual, than girlfriend, and partner is too associated with lgbt to be used for a product for all men.

4. Candace

Yeah. It screams douchey, and most likely because of the clientele that they're trying to appeal to.