1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Deleted My Facebook Account

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andronas, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Andronas

After being on Facebook for a few years and experiencing all the drama that this entails, I finally decided to get rid of my account last night. It was definitely an interesting adventure that I'd never bothered with before, partly on account of the fact that I was afraid of how others would perceive my posts and statuses, and I cared too much about how others might think of me based on what I posted. Through trial and error, I managed to overcome this fear. In this way, FB helped me grow a bit in being less afraid of sharing my thoughts and feelings with others, and being less afraid of reprisal or censure.

But I eventually just got tired of the website/app and decided that it would be best for me to disappear. I had only opened an account in the first place because of a social circle I used to participate in. That ran its course, and now I'm back to being mostly-asocial (IRL) me. Part of the drama stemmed from the fact that a couple of people said what I posted was disrespectful, while much of it was just stuff that related to my religious belief, or lack thereof. I guess I figure, "Gee, if they didn't like it, they could have simply unfollowed me or unfriended me. It's not a big deal. And all the Christians are always expressing their beliefs, so why can't I do the same without judgment?"

Anyway, what are you guys' personal experiences with social media? Are there any of you out there who have chosen to remain on the sidelines when it comes to sites like Tumblr, Facebook, et al? What are your reasons for doing so?

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, honestly. :slight_smile: I'm not a big fan of Facebook, even though I have an account I don't really use it apart from to share the odd link or photo. There are people who try to use it to vent their frustrations with people and things that would much better be talked about offline. If it ever became a problem, I would delete my account. I don't like it from a privacy point of view alone - there's something that feels quite shady about the whole website.

I do, however, like Twitter. I think it's a lot easier to control what you're sending out on to the internet. Plus you can just dip in and out, and filter out the things that are important to you.

3. Candace

I'm probably on there 2-3 times a week, and it's full of drama. I've really cut back on it since I just got tired of it and hearing about people's stories that I really didn't care about, to be honest. Like, why is ranting on Facebook going to make everything better?

4. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wish I could! I'm really tired of it.

But it's a god way to keep in touch with friends who I don't see on a daily basis... Or else, I would have gotten rid of it ages ago! :icon_sad:

5. Andronas

I can understand both of your positions, Candace and Spartan 117. I think that the reason why a lot of people resort to venting on Facebook is a lack of a stable "true" social network to be able to use as support through hard times. I think it's been said before and even studied...that there is a great deal of loneliness in our modern society compared to previous eras. People have fewer close friends than they used to in past decades. I myself occasionally tended to be one of the ranters, sadly. So I feel a bit shamed there. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I can understand why people do it, and I was always sympathetic to others problems when they were expressed.

Edit: Although, I occasionally saw blatant misuses of social media online when parents would rant about their kids. I seriously saw a huge mistake when they did that. Seriously people. Don't rant about your kids in public. It makes you look extremely immature.

#5 Andronas, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  6. Blossom85

I think doing something that you feel will better yourself is wonderful. I like having my account to keep up to date with family and friends, otherwise I don't see much use in it myself either.

7. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a facebook, with a few friends on there. But nowadays I mostly just use it to share links to petitions and such. Occasionally I will post a comment if someone I know does something significant, or is celebrating something eg producing a new tiny person or moving somewhere, starting a new job etc.

8. shinji

shinji Guest

Facebook is nothing more than a tool that one can use to suit his needs. Like any other platform, it has an abundance of people who degrade the experience of others. This should in no way sway your decision to stop using it, if you still do find it helpful. There are a lot of ways to filter out the useless information, which granted, is quite a lot.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Facebook has dehumanized others. With technology rapidly growing, and becoming almost the norm, it isn't surprising, that people abuse it. It happens with everything; just ask the responsible alcoholic drinkers, and how they have to, constantly, deal with the irresponsible drinkers.

Facebook, despite it consisting of individuals we know, makes it easier to forget, that these individuals, are people. All we see is an assortment of pictures, statuses, and the Godawful ads and banners, cluttering the Newsfeed. It has become, sadly, too easy to just throw things into/onto Facebook, and not even realize, real people, with real emotions and opinions, are able to access this. Also, it's quickly accessible, and most people, post out of impulse anyway. Just look at the selfie phenomenon, or the drivel most on social media post -- quit taking pictures of half-eaten meals. Finish your meal, drive your ass home, and hang out with one of those 10,000 people you have added.

10. SomeLeviathan

I still have mine active as it is how I stay in touch with friends from various wikis around the net.

11. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Good for you! I deleted my account three years ago. I got sick of people's stupid updates and people "friending" me when I didn't want them as friends.

12. Yuriseme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm only on FB to talk to my half sister who lives farther away from me.

13. Notlad

I hate Facebook because my sister swamps my wall with stupid videos and pictures.

14. Acm

Acm Guest

I deleted mine in 8th grade because the people on it were really annoying and it made me depressed. I'll probably make an account again when I'm in college or something to keep in touch with people, but not to use very often. It brings out the worst in people

I have a tumblr that I use a little, and I have a twitter but I don't actually tweet with it, I just use it to follow people

15. CubbieBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a fb that I'm on a lot. Or at least, I was. Not so much lately. I like Twitter because I follow news sources and other interests. Lots of news about things I'm interested in

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Facebook is kind of useful for me since I keep in touch with a few friends who moved away but for the most part I feel if I left it today there would be little to no real impact. I can count the number of meaningful discussions I've had via FB on one hand.

17. Hexagon

I did that a few months ago. Grats.

18. Andronas

One thing I read about Facebook recently is that they did research by tampering with news feeds to see if they could alter people's emotions. Think about what could happen if the government ordered Facebook to use its power for its own ends, along with gag orders to boot. That kind of subtle social control is hard to detect.

19. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    high five! i deleted mine two days ago. i still use twitter and tumblr though.

20. Tyrion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Facebook for me is nothing but pointless drama, random pictures, and negative statuses. Deleting it is definitely a positive.