1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working Out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

[​IMG]

Originally, I was going to post this elsewhere, but I believe I'll be able to get, any advice or input here, too.

So, does anybody else here exercise?
    Even if you don't dedicate a large portion of time to it, do you do anything, that could constitute as a work out?​

I spend, anywhere between 1 to 2 hours a day, keeping active. Usually, it is jogging (or running, when I don't slack off), a few push-ups, and some lifting. In the summer, I tend to hit the pool in my back yard, and swim some laps. But when it's too cold, like now, I replace swimming with longer sessions of hitting the sand bags. I have a large sand bag, which I hang up, and punch and kick it.

But perhaps the most interesting thing I do, when it comes to keeping fit is, I have body weights that I wear, a lot. I have two pairs of arm weights for, well, my arms, two pairs of leg weights for, well, my legs, and one torso piece for, well, my body. As of typing this, I'm carrying an additional 60 pounds, when I go out and about. This way, even if I am doing something mundane, like picking up groceries or just going to get the mail, I'm always working out in a way.

The best part? When I start to get exhausted, I remove the weights, and I have a second wind, allowing me to continue. Of course, I don't suggest this to anybody, because you can wind up straining your body, but I like the challenge. There's something about handicapping yourself, and being able to perform admirably, that instills a kind of confidence, you just don't get anywhere else.

Now, there is one problem with all of this. As much as I like keeping active, and feeling good about my progress, there is the fact I was born a biological male. Naturally, my body is going to begin to form into a masculine frame. Logically, I know, this is to be expected, and in a way, I'm glad, because it is showing me, my efforts are producing results. However, I'm physically beginning to drift away, from how I feel, which is to have a feminine frame or figure. And this, is where I'm not so glad.

How ironically cruel, that one of the things that soothes me, could also contribute to potential tinges of dysphoria. I was curious, how anybody else in a similar boat, dealt with this, too.

2. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

There are very fit and very muscular women out there - I wouldn't worry too much unless you end up looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his bodybuilding days :wink:

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I excercised for 55 minutes earlier today, it's not much but it's a start. I find it really helpful to keep active during these frigid winter months as it helps combat my depression/demotivation and just makes me feel good overall.

4. Ryujin

I walk for about an hour on most schooldays? Does that count?

If I worked out then I'd lose the closest thing I have to breasts, which is a fat chest.

5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't go to the gym or anything, but I ride my bike all the time, at least once a day--on weekends, sometimes I go for 15-mile rides just to do something active :slight_smile:

But otherwise, I probably do a little too much sitting. I may be skinny, but it doesn't mean I'm in the best of shape -_-

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm on my computer pretty much the entire day at work (though I'm usually pretty good about taking breaks and walking around to visit other people) and spend a lot of time online at home as well. End result? Too much time on my ass. I recently got an elliptical though and have been pretty good about using that 5-6 times per week; it's so much easier if I'm able to watch TV at the same time. I don't need to lose any weight but I'd like to firm up a bit.

7. Tardis2020

Gym every other day at school, but that's not really exercise. Other than that, I walk about a mile home from school each day and that's with my backpack that is freaking heavy.

8. AlamoCity

For Kaiser, I would suggest more cardio and less weight exercises. Weight lifting will make you more masculine while plain cardio can actually even catabolize muscle while maintaining a lean frame. Just look at all those ultra-marathoners.

Well, I slacked off a bit these past few months and I need to get back on the horse. I usually run several times a week. I do a very good weight set at home, but I rarely use them. My goal is to run a full marathon this time next year and maybe a 50K in March 2016. However, I'm happy if I simply do a half-marathon next year :lol:. I need goals and races give me the motivation/benchmark to do so.

9. AKTodd

I work out with a bowflex and rowing machine 5 days a week (3 days weights, 2 days rowing - sometimes I swap days and have been trying to work up to 6x a week (3 and 3).

My metabolism is a finally honed machine for hibernating through the winter (can inhale over a plate of cupcakes and gain 5lbs), so I tend to run to muscular-stocky, but it gets me up in the morning.

As far as your specific situation, you might look into martial arts. You can build skill and fitness (and continue using your heavy bag) but, at least in my past experience, there is more of an emphasis on cardio fitness and some strength, but not on building big bulging muscles.

Todd

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww, Kaiser. :frowning2: I'm sorry that's been a problem for you.

My experience is that exercise makes me look and feel more feminine. I spend most of my time running. About five days a week.

Would it help you to lift less and run more?

11. Burnedcloset

Sorry you have this problem, I think cardio might help you like other suggested.

I excersize 5-6 times a week. I used to hate it. Now it gives me something to do. I'm always trying to beat my goals. I don't get much results at all though. I'm just naturally flabby. My mom used to call me "poppen fresh dough". I think she realized I don't like that nickname.....

12. RAdam

I try to work out at least 3 times a week, mostly weights and some cardio.

Other than that I bike everywhere so I bike atleast 30 minutes every day ?
    I'm pretty active in my job as well.

I'm trying to improve my work out's tho and get more muscle..

hulk powa

13. SomeLeviathan

I like cardio because it's usually all I have the energy to do. I bike 3 times a week or so and lift probably once.

14. Randomcloud

I don't get nearly as much exercise as I should. Thankfully my body is not very good at putting on weight. But when I feel motivated I will do an hour or two of exercise at the local park, just running up hills and doing some stretches and push ups. I'm so unfit though...I try to walk everywhere as much as I can (mainly because I can't drive and public transport is terrible ha....)

15. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a daily physiotherapy regime which is about all I can (or indeed safely should) do, this focuses mainly on improving flexibility and muscle strength and mostly involves stretches and joint rotations. I've had to reduce the frequency lately, as winter arrives and my body goes into energy-saving mode. I also own some body weights but they are only light ones and I have to be careful how and when I use them, as I must be careful with all exercise because a strain can DRAMATICALLY set me back, which is not something I can afford with having enough mobility difficulties as it is. It is very frustrating because my goal is to build up enough strength to make life more manageable and reduce/prevent pain, but it's often a case a of one step forward and two steps back. Plus I would also like a slightly more muscular upper body, not too much but just enough that I don't look so frail as I do now.

In terms of your problem with developing a more masculine frame, well others have already mentioned some good ideas like focusing more on cardio and alternative exercises like martial arts. The good news is that having big muscles shouldn't cause any permanent problems in the long term with transitioning, should you choose to do so. I have noticed, on casual observation, that even trans women who previously worked out excessively and had very masculine looking bodies can experience visibly profound changes once on HRT in the form of weight, muscle loss and fat redistribution all over the body and face. I know that you've said transitioning isn't an option for you at the present time, just thought I'd add that as something to bare in mind for the future.

16. kem

kem

I do yoga several times a week. Good for maintaining muscle and a decent workout. You won't build much with it but it's relaxing and I like being bendy.
    I also walk and cycle a lot. When I'm not cycling to school (12K per direction), I take a loong walk before going to the train station, about 5K or so. I've been trying to resurrect my old hobby, running, with little success. I'm going to sign up for a 16K extreme run in May though, might be fun with a friend. :grin:

17. Hexagon

I train to build muscle, mostly upper body, and practice taekwondo. I also run sometimes.

18. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Living in the north doesn't help as well as my zany sleep schedule. I can't run either on advisement from my neurologist and allergist due to my dizziness and asthma.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I bicycle as often as I can find time. In the summer that's 3-5 times a week...this time of year it's maybe 1-2 times a week...soon it'll be less. We have great back roads, with varying levels of hills (though not much flat ground anywhere).

We also have a NordicTrack, for during the winter, when biking falls to zero...or for rainy weeks in the summer.

My partner and I both are also into long walks...has always been a part of our shared lives. Hours long, if possible. We walk at a reasonable pace, so this can really constitute a workout.

I was heavily into racquetball for several years, and am quite good. Would love to get back to that, but potential partners don't seem to have much time these days.

I was also one of those quirky kids who was into footbag in high school. By my grad school days, I'd kick for at least an hour a day, and on weekends my partner and I would kick together or play over a net for hours.

20. iHeartYouu

I use my resistance band and my lightweight dumbbell to workout, plus some calisthenics to build muscles and I go running for 30mins 3x a week. Following the c25k programme.