1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it weird to text a person you barely know?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by quietisviolent, Nov 16, 2014.

1. I thinks the title is pretty clear, but do you think it's weird to text/message a person you don't know that well yet, but you would like to? I don't think it's really weird but I never know what to say and talking about the weather doesn't help me when I want to get to know someone. What are your thoughts on this?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I would avoid it. To me, texting is something rather personal; my phone comes with me at all times, and I don't like more than close friends and family accessing me through it for unimportant stuff. Apart from really needing to speak to me, it feels as if I'm being cornered when someone I'm not so close to texts me.

On the other hand, if they gave you their number (unless it was in order to help with something else, such as if you had to organise or attend something together), it's not exactly a big breach of politeness to text them. My advice is simply that it can feel uncomfortable without much friendship beforehand, unless the number was given to you exactly for that purpose, such as meeting someone new and getting their number then and there.

Just be mindful that it can be awkward to have an acquaintance try to reach you when you'd normally not have to speak to them. It can feel forward, and that might not really do you much good. Try to build up a small series of conversations before really trying to sustain one; wishing them a quick recovery when ill or wishing them luck on a test or game or whatever they might have mentioned will only amount to a line or two each within a day, but over time it would set a new tone of more communication which would make it less imposing than to ask them how they are and mention the weather out of the blue.

That said, some people love to speak to new people and have someone pay them attention out of genuine interest.

3. C P

C P

I don't think it's weird to do that, unless you somehow found their number(or whatever way of chatting that you found them on) and randomly messaged them. .-.

How do you mean..like if you maybe small talk/say hey at times and figure they seem nice enough to get to know? You could probably, ya know, acknowledge something that you know they have an interest in (better if you do, too). I know I'd feel at least less awkward if we seem to have a mutual interest in something. That'd be a bit better and comes across as more of a friendly interest than if someone I hardly knew just text me about the weather.

Btw, it's probably better to do this in person first because I agree about texting feeling a bit more personal, unless they have already given you their number for this kinda reason and you just want to build on things.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with C_P. It's not weird to me assuming if I gave you my number (it's especially not weird if I like you! haha). I text a lot, though. I think it really depends on the person. Some people don't like texting much and have different opinions on what is "weird." It should be fairly clear how receptive someone is based on their responses. If they start simply answering your questions/comments and don't appear to have any intent on furthering the conversation they probably would rather be left alone.

5. Randomcloud

Not to me.. I see texting as the most basic/impersonal form of communication apart from anonymous internet messaging haha

6. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Not weird in itself, but just be careful what you say in the text. If the person gave you their number then presumably they know it's not outside the realms of possibility that you might text them. Might be an idea to think of a reason to text them, for example if they have a hobby you could casually show an interest in that and say you are texting to ask them something about it, or if this person is from your school you could talk about a certain subject you both take to get the ball rolling and see where the conversation goes.

7. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the others have said, if the person has given you their number, they obviously want to know get to know you better too. There's nothing wrong with that!

As for if you obtained their number by other means, I'm not so sure. You should ask them in person if they mind first.

8. LiquidSwords

How do you have their number? Presumably they've given it to you for a reason?

9. In this case I gave a girl my number so I could invite her to my birthday (to which I invited other semi-friends and mutual friends as well), but she texted me she was ill so she couldn't come. So now I want to talk to her but I don't know. I send her a 'get well' message already and she didn't respond.

But I was also talking about other cases, so like, when is it and when isn't it weird to text someone?

10. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

How else will you get to know her? No, it's not weird. Just don't be one of those people that pops out of the blue and says "hi :slight_smile:" and nothing else, expecting conversation to happen just because. Text people when you have something to tell them and it will never seem weird. Annoying maybe, but not weird.

11. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *shrug* I don't text anyone, so I wouldn't know, but I assume there is no other way of getting to know someone other than through conversation.

12. Yosia

Texting IS how I get to know people. xD

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a lot of numbers of people that I'm not overly familiar with.

14. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I don't think it's weird. I work at home and that's the main way I'm able to communicate with people. I've actually been texting a few people I work with and I'm trying to get to know them better so we can all hang out together

15. Jethro702

Personally... I only text very few people... lol need to change that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I don't find it weird at all to text with someone you might not know too well. I mean I do go on chat site and talk to people I don't know at all.... btu yeah sometimes the convo is awkward.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'd rather text someone I dont know than talk to them I guess. I would assume you'd have to know them to a basic extent to have their number in the first place..

17. Snever2late

I don't think it's weird. That's how I get to know people mostly. Some of my best friends are people who just randomly gave me their number, now we text all day long and only see each other occasionally.

18. Blossom85

It really depends on how that person came to acquire your number.. If you gave it to someone for any purpose, then I wouldn't be surprised by getting a text from that person. If you didn't give them your number personally or someone else did, then I would find it a little strange that they are texting you.. It also depends on the content of the text as well, what they are writing to you and if it's to know something specific or just to ask how you are doing.