1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Love Comes When You Least Expect It"...?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Nov 16, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

Is this saying true? I personally feel like it's a stupid cliché that people say. I feel like you have to find love, it doesn't find you. You have to get out there and make it happen.

What are your thoughts on love? Does it find you, or do you have to find it?

2. Rainbow Kitty

I believe in true love but you can't expect it to just come to you.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it will find you if you're lucky enough, but if not you'll have to go out looking for it.

4. Andronas

I've been looking for love for about 7 years now, and I haven't found it yet. I think most of it is due to geographic reasons, while the rest remains to life circumstances and mental issues. Living in the South in a small town isn't very conducive to meeting a long-term partner. I don't believe that love comes to those who wait for it in the least expected ways when we aren't looking. I think this especially applies to the LGBT community because we are a fraction of the overall population; I believe we have to look for each other to find one another, so I tend to ignore the advice of straight friends who answer my whining with, "You tend to find love when you aren't looking for it." My guess is that they just want me to stop complaining, or they give me the advice that worked for them. In the case of the friend I just quoted, I found her boyfriend for her and handed him to her. lol

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

In a way it's somewhat true. Mainly because if you're desperate, you're less likely to attract a partner (except for very very unhealthy ones), while when you learn to love being single and being independent, more people start to find you attractive. However, you can equally find a partner with a positive attitude in mind :wink:

6. Jethro702

Can be either way... lol I wouldn't know lol...

7. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd pretty much decided to give up dating until graduate school when I met my girlfriend last year. I think it's true.

8. Notlad

I believe if you actively look too hard and constantly on the watch for someone, you may overlook the best possibilities.

9. C P

C P

I personally see it just like I see that 'soul mate' stuff, etc...just a bunch of cliché nonsense really.

I'm with Andronas that, with our chances dropping a heck of a lot due to the much, much smaller pool, there's going to have to be a bit of effort; It isn't going to just be dropped off at the door in a pretty little box some day.

10. ithinkiamgay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Think you have to chase it down. It won't find you and stuff

11. Blossom85

For myself, it did find me.. When I most least expected it too.. I was happy with how my life was, wasn't looking for anything or anyone to make me happy and then it just came to me.. In the form of my ex girlfriend, and whilst it was probably naive of me to think it could really work as it was very long distance, I was still all in it at the time.. I don't believe it to be the case all the time for everyone, but I do think if you are in a good place in your life and aren't particularly looking for love, it could just possibly come to you when you don't been realize it's happening at first.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, for me this is 100% true. I was not even looking for love, and I found someone who is absolutely perfect for me. I never expected it at all!

That being said, I usually say that if you want to find someone, it's a good idea to get to know people. Not with the intention to find a partner. Try to befriend people, things might develop. :icon_bigg If you are always in your room and don't communicate with the world outside at all, it's going to be veeery difficult to find someone. Befriend people and go with the flow. (*hug*)

13. Hexagon

Bit of both, I guess.

14. RAdam

I haven't been expecting love for years does that mean I haven't gotten onto my lowest expectation point yet lmao?

15. White Knight

When you are chasing love, you are chasing the guys fit in your image.

When you aren't those normally stays under your radar can approach you easily and you can see the potential in them.

For me... hmm I think they found me and I made lovers out of them... take this as you will.

16. thekillingmoon

I kind of agree and disagree with it. I mean if you avoid meeting people, it's unlikely you'll find your soulmate. But at the same time if you try too hard, you might scare them away.

17. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Yes it does, like in Interstellar where it randomly pops up midway through the movie, when Anne Hathaway commits charactercide, and undermines everything that came before it and afterwards. Oh love, you sonofabitch.

*Ehem* I'm sorry did you mean in real life? It can happen both ways, it's such an unpredictable thing you can't really put a rule to it. It just happens.

18. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Where I live, we have a saying: "Who is lucky with poker is unlucky with love".

In fact, I'm lucky with poker but not so lucky with love :lol:

To answer your question...I don't really have idea. :roflmao:

19. Bolin

The two most recent times I had developed mutual feelings happened when I least expected it, so...

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the scoop: there is one sure fire way not to ever meet someone; stay at home and watch TV, or go on the internet, etc. It is guaranteed, 100% not gonna happen...

Here's the other side of the coin: going out to get into a relationship will also, 100% not work. There are two reasons:

1) you want a "relationship" more than you want to be with another, real, human being

2) you have an idea in your head about who you should be with, meanwhile, if you don't find someone fitting that image, you miss the perfectly good match sitting next to you in that yoga class...etc.

There is another way, it's called living in the moment. By "living" I mean getting out there and doing stuff, preferably with others. You go out, you meet people, you are open about being gay, you are interested in others and interesting because you do stuff that is interesting...to others.

You are genuinely interested in people, and you find some of them attractive, so you engage in seduction if that other person is interesting enough. But you are also possibly the target of someone else's attempt at seduction: here is the "least expect it" part, because many people are tone-deaf to being seduced, or they are so fixated on some ideal "other", they miss the signals for what could be something really good...

Living in the moment means being present in the moment, not peering down at your iPhone, not being distracted by all our toys and bright lights, but being present...which all by itself is quite attractive...