1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your opinions on Feminism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Oct 6, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

It caught my interest when i was watching a movie yesterday [Itty Bitty Titty Committee, about an extremist feminist group] and ever since ive been trying to find out more about it, so i wanna know what everyone's views on feminism as a whole is.

2. SpacerX

i think they can believe what they want, and act however they choose, as long as they dont harass people with their opinions... ditto for vegetarians/vegans.

anyway, it was great women got equal rights and all, but i have to seriously disagree with some of the propaganda and sheer silliness of what some feminists are propagating.

"all men are rapists" is the kind of idiotic slander feminism can do without, so people can actually have serious discussions about it.

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gender equality, equal employment and pay for men and women, anti-discriminatory laws - sure, I'm all for that.

Extreme anti-male "all men are chauvinist jerks" female superiority riots - no thank you.

4. Paralyzer

I dislike feminism, I think it's dumb..

haha, omg.. but I mean more of the "the vagina is all powerful and all knowing" feminism stuff. That's weird XD -AND I highly disagree

Other than that, I just don't like anything that imposes their beliefs on people, even when they piss everyone off.

The following is probably a stereotype:
    Well.. from what I've seen, they're more snobby and, for lack of a better term, doo-doo brainish than anything.. they think EVERYONE is out to get them if they deny them a position in something such as a job or having leadership. They are the female chauvinist (to men) and relate everything else to their gender. They tend to form groups with each other and get touchy over things such as "all men are created equal" even though that phrase now applies equally to women as men in the US.

In my opinion, feminism should only exist in countries where women have few rights. I don't think it's necessary in the US now.. but, I mean, if women want to form an extremist anarchical group, than by all means, they have the right to.

5. Tim

Tim

Feminism is ok in my eyes, in MOST cases. Some feminists take it TOO far, and end up belittling guys, who didn't necessarily do anything to them in the first place. I'm all for Gender Equality, but most feminists (Yes, I'm generalizing in this instance), are all about females being better than males, and you know what, that's what grinds my bolts.

If they don't get a job, they automatically scream "DISCRIMINATION!" Whereas I haven't been able to find a job for 3 years. Yea, where's the discrimination in there? >_>

As Paralyzer said, feminists don't really have a place in the US IMO, Women have equal rights as men, all of the feminists I've met are trying to get MORE rights than men...

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What really gets me is "women create life; there would be no children without women!".

Yeah, and a woman can impregnate herself whenever she chooses. Men are just as vital to reproduction as women, for mammals at least.

7. sblvd06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think any type of extremist point of view is bad, although i know not all feminists are extremists. As long as they don't take it too far i'm ok with it, but i hate it when people start preaching about how great they are. "Only in the eye of the beholder"

My high school economics teacher was really mean. He called feminists "feminazis". He also called one of his former students a disappointment because she joined a feminist group in college.

8. Amy

Amy

im one! im not the radical stereotype, but, i believe that it is, and i quote flair, "the radical notion the women are people."

i know! gr!

9. Jerr

I believe Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

...ok I saw that on a piece of flair like 20 minutes ago and it was just too much of a coincidence to not say it.

I have a slight femmy friend and rock on to her but I don't do anything to help/hurt the good fight.

10. Amy

Amy

dude! lol.

11. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Wander on this one. Fighting for equality is all well and good and I support that. It's when a few start trying to take over the world, using an otherwise noble cause as their reasoning behind it that it gets too much for me. I think that ends up hurting women more than helping.

It's really just like anything else. Religion, etc. All things in moderation and within reason. Anything that goes to extremes just gets ridiculous.

12. Hoppip

Well, in my opinion, I find that there are two different types of feminism: women-empowering feminism that denotes the utter, inalienable right of equality, and the other type that promotes misandry and further fractures the division of gender.

I'm a feminist, myself. I believe that women are completely equal to men in all respects; they are potent and intelligent beings, justly equated to any man. I believe that men and women are completely complementary--where one lacks, the other picks up the slack, and etcetera. The notion that women are inherently better, however, is something I do not personally support.

13. Nodnarb

+1

I agree completely.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a complete and utter feminist. Feminism is, to me, the belief that women are human beings. For some odd reason, some guys have a tough time getting their brain around that. For some even odder reason, more gay guys than straight guys have that problem.

Lex

15. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone was to use that argument it's more logical to say hermaphrodites create life, as they CAN impregnate themself.

I'm all for equal rights, but I too don't like it when it gets violent. However, sadly, most people don't realise the things that need to be changed until violence gets put into the mix.

16. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Feminism is something many people don't get and agree with but I personally have to say that I am a feminist and love seeing women in the power that men have (because in my opinion they are both equal and men have had too much power over women for centuries). I think more women should be put in higher positions that men are in and it would give a great deal of equality among the sexes.

17. Level N Human

Feminism is not a united motion; it really is a fragmented movement and is divided into many subtypes such as reform feminism, rebellion feminism, and radical feminism. There are even more subtypes within these divisions. It is just a natural that a factioning of ideals occurs during large social movements.

Oftentimes the word "feminist" is attributed to the latter, radical feminist and conjures up images of bra-burning, man-hating, probable-lesbians - but of course this is not true for all feminist; as stereotypes can't be used to generalize about a whole group of people.

Most feminism is as much about the rights of men as it is about the rights of women. If you think that men and women alike should be equal socially, economically, however-ally - you are a feminist.

I consider myself a feminist - I think it's unfair that it is less socially acceptable for a man to display certain emotions. I think it is unfair that to this day women make around 70% of the salary of a man with the same job. -- But I do recognize that some men choose to hold in their emotions for their own reasons and not by the sway of peer pressure, and I do recognize that the lower salary of women may actually be in part because they are less assertive in asking for a promotion in pay.

I do wish there was a term for feminism that didn't carry the connotation of being biased towards one sex over the other. I guess people-ist sounds kinda funky.

18. pirateninja

I am a feminist. Men and women should be equal. IN EVERYTHING. That's my view and nothing but.

As with anything, when taken too far, then it becomes a problem.

19. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of the self-proclaimed feminists I know are pretty annoying. What with the whole berating men for objectifying women and all that. And then I ask them if being gay is chauvinistic or chivalrous.

Note: while they're preaching about the objectification of women I'm usually pretty busy objectifying some men.

20. Trumpetplyer23

I'm not a feminist.

There are many feminists out there that are competing for equal rights for both genders. That's what I personally support, equal rights for both genders.

However, there are also feminists that belittle and try to make men seem, inferior, to women.

I know that women have been treated like crap in the past. That wasn't right, but if women start treating men like crap, are we really doing anything good for the human race? No, it's not.

I don't consider fighting for equal rights for both genders feminism. I consider that gender-equality.

I also don't think that considering women as humans as part of the feminist movement, but that's my personal definition.

#20 Trumpetplyer23, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008