1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Your Best Friend

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by deliciouslysexy, May 8, 2007.

1. deliciouslysexy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Would you ever consider dating your best friend whether they are gay or straight?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

No. It is normally a good way of ruining a good friendship. It often becomes a mediocre relationship (because you know each other too well in other ways) that fizzles out quickly. Then you lose the friendship along with the relationship. That's my experience, anyway.

If a friendship is that strong and lasting, then I think it's best not to mess with it. Others may disagree though.

3. Kimi

I don't have "best friends" now:dry:

4. xxAngelOnFirexx

I am. Well she's not my best friend. But my only good friend at my school.

I would date my lifelong friend, but she's very straight and well... it would totally ruin everything we have between us. (well maybe i don't like her like THAT. but she's very pretty...)

5. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  6. aprilblue426

preferably, no. like paul said: it ruins a good friendship (COULD ruin a good friendship. sorry 'bout that.)

7. Treval

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No, probably not. Completely ignoring the fact my 'best friend' is like my sister, she's a bit too much like me, and chances are it would ruin everything between us when we broke up.

8. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... I wouldn't date my best girl friend... but I might date my best guy friend. However, he's as straight as they come, so... it will never happen.

However, I am not particularly attracted by him either.

9. TeeBe

I could never date a "best friend"... But I definately have some friends that I WOULD date in a heartbeat...But only if they asked me. As I'm sure that most of them are straight, I wouldn't want to make things akward between us.

10. LorenzG1950

Of course. My best male friend is slowly becoming my partner of choice and we date about 3 times a week. And Paul, I sure hope you're wrong about losing him both ways. Now that would hurt tremendously.:eek:

11. LowestVocal017

LOL! How many times do you date a friend in a single relationship, Lorenz? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. LowestVocal017

For me, on the contrary to many who replied here, I would most-likely date a best friend. Even if a studly friend of mine is temptingly hot, I'm not speaking of the casual-dating type, nor am I too interested in that.

The reason to dating a best friend out of anyone else is that I know him really personally, and I know if he and I can become suitable husbands. See, for me, the person I date is the person who will be my spouse for a lifetime. I don't go out and simply date how ever many I can within certain periods of times. I like ONE person, one who is mine forever. I've always had this mindset. I'm simply thinking about my child/children in the future: when I have a child, what is he/she going to think? "Daddy, you've been with another guy other than Pops??" I mean, if I knew my dad had dated anyone other than my mom previous to marrying her, I would be ruined!! So, it would be best if the person I dated was mine for a lifetime and the lifetime of my posterity, and who would be mine better than my gay best friend?

And speaking of which, when it comes to dating my best friend (whom is immaginary, since I don't have a real best friend), sexual orientation does play a part, however. The question that I would ask is, does his feelings of attraction/romance recipricate? Does he want to commit to another guy?

#12 LowestVocal017, May 9, 2007
    Last edited: May 9, 2007
  13. TeeBe

You have a good point. If my best (female) friend liked me, I suppose that would be the most important thing. Even though dating a friend is something I would like to stay away from, realistically, my friends are my friends for a reason. Who better to go out with that someone that I already KNOW I get along with?

At the same time, I can't kid myself into thinking that my parents never dated anyone else.

14. LowestVocal017

You're a lot like my older sister. She likes to date guyS, and she couldn't imagine it if my dad and mom didn't date anyone else before marriage (whether he did or not, we don't know. I STRONGLY hope he didn't!! :icon_sad:slight_smile:. When I told her my differing views on dating, she thought I need to wake up and "smell the burning inscense of reality." :icon_bigg

I'm probably more like my mom though: very conservative in the perception and idea of dating. It's one person, and one person for a lifetime. I really strongly hope I'll never have to deal with a divorce. My dad had already committed an adulterous affair (and then born was my half-sister), so it's not like I wasn't already ruined. But then, I guess the worse that can happen is that we go back to being best friends. Still, if I get a divorce, I can never marry again. I would never love another person like I did to my first, my gay best friend. :icon_wink

15. TeeBe

Maybe it is that I have dealt with divorce, but even so, my parents were pretty open with their dating history. Mind you, sex is no taboo in my family. Memorable moment: I brought a significant other out to dinner with my parents once (and only once!) where they kindly shared the story of my conception (and my sister's). Embarrassing.

16. LorenzG1950

To answer your question LowestVocal017,

I’m not sure there’s a limit on dating in a single relationship, at least not for me. My friend and I have a very open relationship, meaning he sleeps around and is deathly afraid of the L-word. I know I’m never going to be his “one and only” :icon_cry: and we are very much the odd couple (he’s black, I’m white, he’s 23 and I’m 57). There is, however, no doubt that we have become best friends :icon_bigg , and I’ve totally fallen for him. That’s not going to change so I may as well enjoy the time we have together. :eusa_danc

17. ok455

If i have a male goodfriend that was gay and i was attracted to him i would def date him. It would be much easier then going out meeting people and only to find them to be straight which is a waste of time imo.

The sad part is alot of my goodfriends are girls.

18. SpikySpice

Definitely no, like the other said, it will ruin our friendship, beside, I dont want to lose my bestfriend, because I dont have many frends

19. LowestVocal017

I know what you mean, ok455. My good friends are all girls because they are people I can emotionally connect with. From my experience, straight guys on average are not that close when it comes to friendship. Once or twice, I tried to form emotionally close friendships with them before, and I was accused of "sexual harassment." :rolleyes: What a bunch of animals...

20. Treval

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly if this was a perfect world, I would probably jump at the chance to date a best friend of mine. Not my current one, but one that I've had in past? Certainly. After all the saying "Best friends make the best lovers" came into existance out of something. However, since this isn't a perfect world, the risk of losing them would be too great. They became my best friend for a reason, and I don't want to lose someone that I'm that close to.