1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iHeartYouu, Nov 18, 2014.

1. iHeartYouu

So my school is having prom next year and it is for everyone my grade to join as we are graduating next year. And it's compulsory. It is somewhere around november, so i have one year to get ready. I have seen pictures of past proms held by my school and its somewhere grand, its like a dinner in a 6 star hotel, and everyone is so pretty, dress up to the nines And I'm worried for myself. Maybe its too early to worry about this, but I can't help it.
    Im not the pretty type, and I'm known for being more tomboy, maybe a little fat, but Im working on it. And I worry about what Im going to wear next year. I have an incredibly low self-esteem. I usually wear t shirt and shorts out so Im not good at dressing myself up too. I always tie my hair up in a ponytail, wherever I go, no matter what event. I think i look even uglier with my hair down. LOL. But seeing the prom pictures, everyone's hair is down and they all look so pretty, and I heard makeup is required....
    I can't possibly wear a tux its gonna be weird as hell, and I dont think I want to miss it as its once of a lifetime, plus I dont want to embarrass myself infront of my crush.. any advice?

2. David21201

hell my gbf (as he calls himself) wore a DRESS to his prom. He was almost kicked and then he said something about gender equality and some shit like that
    Wear a tux. Go in what makes you feel comfortable

3. White Knight

If you think you look ugly(which I highly doubt) your hair down you can always try nice braid styles or buns. I find buns or braids more romantic and elegant on ladies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well make up part is pretty weird to me as in here girls around your age usually discouraged to wear make up as they are very young for it. You can maybe wear something light... on natural tones?

For dress, pick something you can be comfortable in. I am strong believer of there ain't any women uglier than the one in uncomfortable dress.

(*hug*)

I know you are very focused not being in embrassing situation. Like you said it is once in a life time event so for this once just focus how you want to look, what makes you feel beautiful instead of what others will think or say.

4. Randomcloud

Dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable! You don't wanna be miserable for the whole evening because you're not dressed how you'd want to. I'm not that girly either but a black dress and a little bit of eyeliner suits pretty much anyone :slight_smile: Or if you feel more comfortable in a tux, do that. I guess the only thing I'd suggest you should do is dress on the formal side just because there is nothing more uncomfortable than feeling under-dressed at an event haha.

5. Maja

Maja Guest

I'd also say go for whatever makes you feel comfortable. If wearing a tux makes you feel that way, awesome. It only matters that you like it. It's just an opportunity to be different and unique. :slight_smile:
    There was this dance at the end of the last year and I was the only girl who was not wearing a dress. Barely anyone seemed to give a damn to be honest. Everyone was too focused on themselves and how they looked. I am definitely one of the people who care way too much about what other people think but I still don't regret what I was wearing, not even a little bit.
    I guess it's different in every school too though. But still.. I think you should wear whatever you want.

6. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    Wear whatever makes you feel the most comfortable. Whether that's a tux, dress pants with some banging suspenders, or a dress. As for your hair-I wore mine in a bun with a silver comb and a few ringlets. It was simple but cute.

You're going to look great and you don't have anything to worry about!

7. PurpleGrey

Since when is prom and makeup mandatory?? That's bullshit!

Theoretically, you could doll up a ponytail just enough. Give it a teensy bit of a curl or wave, wear a fancy fancy hair dealy, that sort of thing. Plus seeing as formal clothes are getting less ballroomy, you could probably get away with something more to your taste.

Of course I don't know much about current fashion and whatnot, so these are more jumping off points than good tips.

8. iHeartYouu

Thank you everyone for your replies!