1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Modern World

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Hexagon

Does anyone else, for lack of a better word, feel alienated from the modern world?

I'm young, technologically adept and you won't catch me lamenting the past. But nonetheless, I find that most of what goes on these days is completely inexplicable to me. Things like shopping, and pathetic television. Don't get me wrong, I know the reasons for this. I'm just wondering if anyone can sympathise.

2. Tardis2020

Yeah. I don't have any social media accounts, don't watch reality tv where the people are 60% silicone, don't spend my life looking for viral videos, couldn't name the trending brands of clothes if my life depended on it, etc.

3. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, I completely feel alienated from what goes on these days.

4. Aquilo

I've read some old newspapers from around 1910 once. They had an article about 'how fast modern life was becoming'. So your feeling is nothing new. :icon_wink

5. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

[​IMG]

Fuck the modern world.
    I know exactly why I do what I do.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just think we're in a dark age right now. Greed, corruption, and distraction rule the day. We're going to crap, but I think things will get better with the increase in technological capabilities and the expansion of education.

And at least Black Raven agrees with me that medieval fashion was the best.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel like this all the time .

8. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ohhh shoot I almost fell off my couch seeing this, we sure as hell went down hill since then . .:roflmao:

10. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Glad I could provide you with some entertaiment. :lol:

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you :roflmao:

12. thekillingmoon

Sometimes. Like I don't get everyone's obsession with social networking sites these days. I have no interest in getting a facebook or twitter. Also I feel a bit old-fashioned about certain things. But then there are things that I like about living in modern world, like technology.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Technology is cool to some extent, but It's way overabused. I see people on their cell phones all the time, that they use them for other reasons (browsing internet WHILE WALKING IN PUBLIC), and people call others way too often and have seemed to have lost respect for boundaries and appropriate hours.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm guilty of browsing the internet while walking in public .:eusa_doh:

15. Hexagon

Same. What if I needed to look up the address of where I was walking to? There are far worse crimes.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I understand where you're coming from, Hexagon. I feel like that too, sometimes.

While I enjoy the sanitary levels, the medical advancements, and the ability to be instantly connected to others, there is a lot that comes with these perks. Questionable quality on television, the obsessive social media culture, and just the desensitization of this generation, to a wide variety of things.

As for where I would feel best, as if I actually fit in, I want to be on a large battlefield, leading armies. Back before smart missiles and air strikes, when strategy was essential and mass production was secondary.

17. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Fuck that, I want to be at the frontlines, in the vanguard, or the personal bodyguard of someone. Actually, I wouldn't mind leading armies and being the glorious ruler of my kingdom, but I'd -still- be in the heat of battle.

18. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh, not really.

I'm not into social media culture either, so when I her all about Twitter and Vine and Instagram and Pinterest and all that crap, I feel pretty disconnected from it all, but that said, I essentially live on the internet and I like plenty of modern TV shows (though I can't stand reality shows). And looking at the playlist of 50 songs I acquired in the past few months, the majority of them are from from 2012-2014, so clearly I'm fine with modern music. Shopping is nothing new--when department stores first started showing up, shopping boomed. I probably do most of my shopping on the internet anyway.

Additionally, as someone who loves computers, tablets, and technology, I'm pretty up-to-date with all that. The more I read about older time periods, as interested as I am in them, I think I fit right in with the one that I'm in.

19. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, I actually quite like the modern world. Sucks I'm already this old, probably gonna die before most exciting stuff happens :tears:

Gotta agree with you on TV being stupid though!

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Oh, I'd lead. It has always struck me as silly, for a leader to stay behind their armies. It's very easy to be "brave", when you have legions barricading you, just as it's very easy to "forget" those little markers on your maps and in your plans, are actual people, with feelings, opinions, cherished hobbies and loved ones.

I like to think I take after Hannibal or Rommel, when it comes to leadership.

I'm not going to send an army into a situation, that I, myself, don't think I could succeed at or survive. That's just senseless.