1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snow! Winter fun! Yay! (or meh, or, not so much...)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Nov 18, 2014.

?

Do you like snow?

Poll closed May 17, 2015.
  1. Yes, it's wonderful!

43.5%
  2. I like it to a certain degree, it can be fun

29.4%
  3. Meh, it's OK

8.2%
  4. I do not like snow

14.1%
  5. I've never seen snow, so I can't say

4.7%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, I'll admit: I absolutely love snow, and hope we have one of the snowiest winters EVER in the US! I want each state to get at least 10 feet! Ha!

Today was the first very cold day, with the temp dropping down into the teens tonight. And even though there was no snow, I was so excited! I got to get out my furry hat and my knit gloves with snowflakes on them, and my winter coats/bomber jackets. I would have worn my moonboots, if there was snow. I also got out our 1970s Artic Cat snowmobile suits, which are really warm and also perfect for sledding. Now, we just need snow. I’m also having fun doing that look where you wear a thin, long sleeve shirt, with a t-shirt over it. ( I have dozens of thrift store favorites, and this puts them in a whole new light) Next, I’m getting some 80s wrist/sweat-bands with stripes, for when I just wear t-shirts. My new look is somewhere between Scott Pilgrim (manga version), and Punky Brewster. (But with the Scott Pilgrim hair, of course, manga version)

But I digress: I wasn't cold in the least. Layering is key, and the air on my face had a pleasant, numbing sensation, like a sip of fine absinthe.

I hope to return to a place where it snows more, so I can get back to things like cross country skiing, exploring the frozen lakes and snowy woods, and also, to hopefully one day be able to have my own dogs for dog-sledding. I went a few times, and it's the most awesome thing in the world.

Plus you can have snow-ball fights, build tunnels, forts, all that fun stuff. I think 'snowball fight' should definitely be added as a sport to the winter Olympics.

Also, if it snows, and the University is closed, I still get paid, and get to stay home. Nothing is better than that! Then, it's a quick walk down to the warm, cozy Tavern, and the sledding hill next door, where the whole neighborhood is out having fun.

#1 HuskyPup, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Little bit goes a long way for me. I'm fine with one or two snows of a few inches per year, which is what we usually get around here.

3. Notlad

I love snow, and it's the only time I love the cold. But living where I live I don't see it much.

4. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! Snow is amay-may! During winter happiness is a car and and an snowy parking lot with hot chocolate waiting at home for you:grin: And snow means Christmas and spending time with family telling our old, worn out stories and jokes that we have heard a million times before, but still laugh at because it is amazing to be with each other and see each other:grin:

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do love snow, but it rarely happens in my city for more than one day a year, though there's plenty in the mountain range that surrounds it.

I usually go skiing during the winter holidays. It's fun, even if the ski fields are a total rip-off.

That said, it loses its novelty when in Scandinavia, so I tend to value it more when I'm in Australia.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

I love the snow. We never get any snow around here though, I've only seen it a few times. We don't even get rain most of the time, it's just really cold.

7. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do love snow and I have a high tolerance for cold temperatures. I'm sort of missing it right now; it's snowy back home in Denver, but sunny and warm here in California :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'll be looking forward to coming home for Thanksgiving :slight_smile:

8. AlamoCity

As a Texan, I've only seen "real" snow when I went skiing in New Mexico and Colorado. We suck at driving in those conditions. I wish we could have a white Christmas, but it never happens. If it snows here, even if it's an 1/8th of an inch, the city gets paralyzed.

I'll say it's wonderful, but only because it's a novelty.

9. Tardis2020

I love snow. It gets me out of school, and when it snows its freezing out so I can make hot drinks without getting too hot like during the summer. Plus I've got a golden retriever and nothing is cuter than a happy dog running around in the snow, even though I have to dig a path in the snow for him (he's 11 human years).

10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love snow so much, but it's only because I get about 2 inches a year if I'm lucky (and it melts by the next day). If it was feet high the whole winter, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.

11. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Yerssshhhh , back home we go to the high country for boarding amd snow funshz.
    (Thank F for any topic to distract me )

12. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the snow, love it.

However since Im not in school and do not get snow days, I no longer like ice.

I love the cold to a point. Once the temperatures reach below 20 degrees my fat will fail and no longer keep me warm. Today was one of those days.

13. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My hometown is currently getting a blizzard and where I am it hasn't even dropped below 0! :frowning2: I can't wait for the snow!!

14. Hexagon

I love snow, but I doubt we'll get it here this winter. Or any.

15. White Knight

If I can take my mind away from homeless people and animals it can be fun.

Oh and as long as I don't slip on ice... that is no fun.

16. Randomcloud

I live in Sydney where it never snows but I've been to Canada and NY when it was snowing and I LOVE it. It's so beautiful and hello- you can ski in it (or at least sled). Then again, the idea of shoveling dirty snow off my driveway every morning does not appeal to me haha

17. shinji

shinji Guest

In my country, there is no such thing as "snow - let's go out and play". There is either a huge "ice age" or a bit of snow, just to make everything dirty.

But... snow = good chance for me to be indoors with bf, eventually.

So, yay snow!

...snow angels! Always wanted to try those. Ugh, the idea of how dirty i'd get if i did try here.

18. Rainbow Kitty

I love Snow! Rare in large amounts around my parts, though

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I like a good snowfall, I'll admit.

The world slows down, people seem to, for once, take a break from their smart phones (which lose signals, if the snow is bad enough), and less traffic. All of these, are nice additions, around here; at least to me.

I enjoy the way snow looks, especially when the sun reflects off of it, giving the covering surface a very glittery elegance. Also, I have a fondness for the sound, of stepping on snow, and hearing that crunchy softness.

Sometimes, it's nice to, during a flurry of snow, look up, and get lost in the experience.

When I was younger, sledding and building snow forts, is where it was at. I loved riding four-wheelers, through and across the snow-covered fields and woods.

Of course, I was also that kid, who would put a piece of glass, a rusted collection of nails, or a rock, inside of a packed snowball...

Snow aside, ice is where I'm on the fence. I like ice, how it looks, and being able to slide on it. But when it really coats the roads, well, that can be a burden, especially when driving a vehicle. And, often times, ice can result in power outages. Aside from that, though, ice is all right by me.

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only seen the snow a couple times and I don't think it was ever really fresh snow. And I've never seen it actually snow. It seems like it may be nice in small amounts. I do like the shorter days and cloudy/rainy days of winter here in California..