1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uniforms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Quiet Raven, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Quiet Raven

How do you feel about Uniforms? Most specifically, for schools?

For the most part, I am against them, but they don't bother me too much. I do however, hate the idea of hair restrictions that often go with them. Forcing people to cut their hair shorter then they may otherwise like. Because that affects their look even outside of school...

Another thing that is important is they need to take consideration of the seasons... I say this because last winter I saw a bunch of girls in uniform, wearing skirts and absolutely nothing on their legs, outside in the snow. That is just evil. I was wearing somewhat heavy pants and I was freezing, can't imagine how they felt with their legs completely bare...

2. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *shrug* Private schools do what they want.
    Public schools don't have a uniform policy for the most part.

3. Quiet Raven

Depends on where you live. In North America they usually don't. But in other places they can be pretty common.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Never went to a school, where a uniform was required. Closest thing to that was, they attempted to make everybody tuck their shirts in, along with the usual dress code standards.

It failed. All it wound up doing, was getting more people into trouble.

I can't speak for everybody, but I know, when I was forced to wear a uniform as a young child, mostly in boy scouts (hated every minute of this), and even a teenager, mostly at church, I was very unruly. In fact, I was a lot worse, because I had to do more, to feel like I stood out, and wasn't just a forgettable piece. Now, some might not mind, and may even behave, but for me, any kind of forced uniform on me, is going to get you a not-so-pleasurable experience.

Uniforms, to me, felt like they repressed who I was. In small doses, this is tolerable, but anything more, and that repression begins to build up, until, it either implodes or explodes. Again, this is just in my personal experience. Some folks, this may not be a big issue for them. But for me, anything mandated to be worn, bothers me -- give me an option, and you'll have an easier time with me.

5. Justinian20

Australia and Britain I would say are both places that have the majority of schools having to wear school uniforms and I would say school affected my fashion sense a lot I am only now developing it, but a positive is that you won't get picked on for appearance as your school mates are wearing the same thing and so how you dress won't result in teasing by teenagers.

6. Quiet Raven

I have never had to wear one myself, actually. For anything. What mainly got me thinking of this is my brother currently works at a school with uniforms. That and I remembered that incident last winter that I kinda wanted to share.

But yeah, that is completely understandable. That is why I am against then overall. But me personally, I probably wouldn't mind wearing them too much.

7. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't stand them in schools or anywhere else for that matter. They do nothing but destroy personal views in the hope of everyone turning into conforming clones.

8. Mangaholic

Mangaholic Guest

I can understand the idea that a uniform removes individualism (to a degree), however the potential benefit of uniforms is that no matter what your family's financial status is, you will be equal to everyone else in terms of clothing.

9. skizze

Maybe it's because I've never experienced the discomfort of uniforms, but I wish my school had them. It's such a bother to pick out a set of clothing different from yesterday's in the morning -.-

Now my wish is only under the condition that the female uniform is not much different from the male uniform. At the very least, skirts shouldn't be required.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I can understand the whole 'if everyone dresses the same, they won't be picked on for their clothes', but I don't agree with it.

Sure, with everyone dressed the same, you might dodge the bullet on your style being made fun of. However, it only makes other areas, stand out all the more. Uniforms can make somebody, with a bulkier body, appear larger. I don't know about anybody else, but being large was a more common reason to be targeted, before what somebody wore. Should we, if the intent is to prevent being a target, enforce everyone to be a universal weight or build?

Just something to think about.

Also, keep something else in mind. Many facilities, where uniforms are required, present an opportunity unique to assholes, that non-uniform facilities do not. If you really want to ruin somebody's day, take their uniform... damage it, burn it, get rid of it. Without that uniform, they'll either not be able to return to their facility, or they'll waste money obtaining another one.

That part, about the damaging uniforms, is from personal experience. I wanted to get rid of a fellow boy scout, who was bothering me, so, when we had a den meeting at his house, I asked to go to the rest room, but instead went into his room... and ripped his uniforms. He wasn't allowed at any functions, until he had a uniform, and his mother couldn't afford to buy another few sets of uniforms. He had to drop out, and he has disliked me ever since. I don't blame him.

I never confessed to doing that, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together. He knew, and so did I. To be honest, it's another shady moment in my past, that while I'm not proud of, I do feel is an important consideration piece.

11. David21201

i hate them. my public school may become uniform... i CANNOT wear a skirt. i find uniforms where i live ridiculous

12. Derivative

Derivative Guest

I agree with the school uniform, but not to the extent where girls must wear skirts because as you mentioned, it can get quite cold depending on where you live. Also, some may feel uncomfortable wearing a skirt.

I had to wear a uniform at school, and girls had the option to wear skirts or trousers. The majority chose the latter.

13. timo

In my 24 years I've never worn a uniform, and I plan to keep it that way until the day I die. I detest the idea of uniforms, especially if there are hair regulations too, as it takes most of your personal expression away.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to a charter school from Kindergarten through 8th grade, and we wore uniforms. From their website,

We always hated it.

15. Hexagon

16. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Uniforms in school are good, there is nothing wrong with imposing order and discipline at certain times. As others have alluded to uniforms help stop issues with bullying to do with what people wear and how much money families have.

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not bothered, and the uniform (or lack of) is far less important than children actually doing well in school.

18. Quiet Raven

Uniforms definitely don't reduce bullying. I just can't believe that. Of course, Kaiser did a good job of explaining that already. But I would also add that of all the bullying I have seen or experienced, very long little of that involved clothes. I can only think of one time where it did. (I was made fun of in grade 1 for wearing feminine shoes) Most of it was due to simply being small, socially awkward, things like that.

It may eliminate one possible reason, but people will find others. Kids can make of people for anything. Uniforms won't stop them.

---------- Post added 19th Nov 2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

That's the worst part there if you ask me. Just having hair restrictions is bad enough, but why restrict male's even further? I happen to like my hair to be over my ears. Always have.

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a lie that making everyone wear a uniform prevents bullying over clothes; students begin to pick out how others wear their uniforms.

That said, it can be helpful in some ways; it helps identify anyone who isn't a member of a school who has managed to get in, and it also makes a school identifiable at events such as sporting, debating, and whatever, though I don't really see it as necessary at school itself. I don't believe in abolishing them, but they really don't serve that much purpose beyond identifying students and giving them snob credence if it's a good school.

I had to wear a uniform until this year, and I really love the freedom to wear what I please. My school's known for its high standards of fashion, definitely a successful expression of individuality, and I really think there's no unifying or equalising magic in a uniform as its proponents claim.

I don't see how a uniform would help students learn, but there definitely should be dress codes (especially concerning appropriate footwear and anyone in a class such as chemistry).

#19 Aussie792, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  20. Ninjacorn

When I went to a public elementary school, it was a constant battle to find something to wear. Now, at my new private school, I get up, and throw on the same thing I wore yesterday! :icon_bigg