1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-Proclaimed Readers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gen, Nov 19, 2014.

?

Where Do You Lie?

1. I've finished five or less books this year.

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. I've finished ten or less books this year.

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. I've finished twenty or less books this year.

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. I don't recall because there has been so many.

20 vote(s)
    32.3%
  5. I don't recall because there has been so few.

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  6. For the sake of my reputation, I just 'don't' recall...

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Gen

Gen

It is fine time we faced the truth.

Lets begin by acknowledging this is a judge-free zone. There is bound to be a couple of you who devour encyclopedias for breakfast and I applaud your dedication; however, there is no question that many of us who have a love for literature find it difficult to keep up a consistent habit of reading in the fast-paced world we live in and there is a fair amount of exaggeration or outright lies said by readers in regards to their reading habits. So I am interested to read about the habits of other readers within the community, since we seem to have many, and your thoughts on the subject.

So in addition to the poll: Do you reader regularly, sporadically, or hardly at all? Do you feel ashamed, unhappy, or disappointed about how often you read? Are you guilty of trying to make it appear as though you read more than you do?

~~~​

It is only fair that I shared my confession first. I read extremely sporadically and the amount of times that I actually finish a novel is honestly shameful. Though the finishing aspect of primarily because I am a tough one to please and I have no issue with putting down a book that no longer holds my interest. While I usually shoulder a very busy schedule, I can't even claim that my habits differ when the opportunity is readily available. I would say that I am disappointed in my lack of consistency only because there is so much that I would love to read and could be reading at the moment, but have not started because of this. It has little to do with the fact that others have the ability to read far more than I do.

My single biggest issue, which I would love to hear about from other writers on the forum, is that reading almost immediately inspires me to write. Whenever I pick up a new novel, I am always confronted with the feeling that I would be being more productive by spending that time writing and perfecting my own work than reading. This was never a problem that I experienced before I began serious dedicating my time to a writing project and I don't believe I've ever honestly overcame that obstacle and find a solid balance.

2. Ryujin

I read far too sporadically then I would like, like once every week or something, though recently I've begun reading in my form time at school as I don't want to speak to my 'friends'. If like to read more, but even when I have the opportunity I don't for some reason, which I'm not proud of. There's so much I'd like to read and I have actually got to the point where if a book isn't holding my interest I just stop reading it.

---------- Post added 19th Nov 2014 at 10:15 PM ----------

Though, to be honest, I have managed to knock off a few of my must reads this year so I'm happy with that.

3. Mangaholic

Mangaholic Guest

I am embarrassed by my reading habits. I usually end up get absorbed into a few books and end up carrying them around with me! Like you, I can easily put down a book that I lose interest in, but I feel like an idiot for doing this quite often and not finishing the book.

Imagine the exact same situation, only replace reading/writing with drawing :grin:

4. Hexagon

I don't read enough, true. I think I've read about fifteen this year.

5. Andronas

I used to read a lot more for pleasure when I was a teenager. My life has gotten busy with college, though, and I often simply read strictly for classes, or I am busy taking care of social matters or practical issues like car trouble. Thus, I no longer have as much time to read for pleasure compared to the free time I had as a kid. It used to be no problem for me, as a pre-adolescent, to read a book like Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in one sitting on a weekend morning. I still like those books and the movies, and I've been thinking about re-watching them and re-reading the books perhaps. It's on the shelf with a lot of other things I would like to do, such as reading more about the dynamics of climate change.

6. AnnoNemus

I read voraciously. When I pick up a book, I have to struggle to put it down. I've been known to stay up all night long to finish a compelling read on occasion. Lately I've been to busy with school to read nearly as much as I would like, however. :frowning2:

7. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty busy, so I don't read as often as I would like to. Having 6 school texts to read at once and then trying to add reading for pleasure on top of that means I am not going to do much of it. Also, I tend to read multiple books at once and sometimes that makes it difficult for me to finish one.

8. Andronas

Reading for class also counts as reading, although textbooks often aren't as fascinating as one would like.

9. AlexTheGrey

I read fewer books than I used to, but I find myself reading a lot more long-form articles than I used to.

But the question is about books. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read somewhat sporadically but intensely, & I read a great deal. Hardly any TV, and no video games. Yes, it's true: A furry who does not play any video games!

I also write, so that alternates with reading time, but I almost always read before going to bed, unless I go out.

I'll often latch onto certain authors, or genres, and then devour all of their works, or a majority of them: This year, it was Italian Noir; Massimo Carlotto, Carlo Lucarelli, Andrea Camilleri, and the earlier Leonardo Sciascia. So in this area, I read perhaps 20 novels? Then I've had a period of reading Thomas Hardy, which is where I am now, with his Wessex novels. Between this, I read a good deal of comics and graphic novels, and other various bits of literature that might catch my eye. One thing that helps is working in a University library...if the place has one benefit, it's that I can take an author I like, pull from our stacks the works we have, request the rest from Interlibrary Loan, and then have access to everything an author wrote in short order, and at no cost. Being typically broke, this is a huge help.

Sometimes, I hit points where I feel I've run out of things that excite me...but then, it always happens that something I've not yet read pops up, and I'm off again, a chain reaction, one thing leading to another. Austrian fiction from 1900-1940-ish is next on the agenda...Musil, Meyrink, Kubin's odd work, 'The Other Side'.

Reading keeps me sane, inasmuch as I am sane. Wish I had time to read even more, often...not enough hours in the day.

#10 HuskyPup, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read a ton of articles online, but honestly, I just don't read books. My e-reader has some sort of battery problem so only lasts like an hour, and I don't make the time to read the hard copies I have.

It's doubly shameful as a wannabe writer, but I do my research online. I am thankful for my literature classes though, so I have gotten doses of mechanics, style, and culture. :slight_smile:

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mostly read articles online while school is in session, because I don't have time to read anything else during the school year. (I am a media major.) I usually read books over breaks though. So, I have not finished very many books recently.

13. Kabuki

I lied!!! I hit the wrong one on the poll!! :rolle: It wasn't a lie, but it doesn't apply to this year. This year I haven't read much of books. Last year I read more than 10. Almost a whole saga, only 2 more books to go, it's the A House of Night series, very nice. :slight_smile: Plus a few others here and there. I also started reading this year A Density of Souls from Christopher Rice, but because of school I haven't been able to finish it.

Usually, when I take a book, I completely devour it. If I didn't have biological needs, I'm sure I would stay all day, lying on a bed or couch, reading books. :grin: I'm not ashamed at all of it though, I love books! Reading a nice story, getting immerse on it's world and characters is an amazing feeling, not only that but, getting to cry with them, smile with them and all of that, is so nice. :slight_smile:

And like you Gen, I love writing! I'm also the kind that gets so hyped into writing when I read something nice. Getting the urge to make a world of my own, to explore it and see the end of it, it's such an amazing feeling. Unfortunately, I have not that much free time, and my close environment is not helpful at all! Also, I can't help but get ideas from many things, this has lead me to have 5 basic ideas for my novels, which is one idea for each novel so, I have 5 novels in my mind to work on and no free time to develop them. :eusa_doh:

14. Tardis2020

I wind up reading a lot of books in school, I have so much free time after classwork is done and there's nothing else to do.

15. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm right around 20 on the year, all within the last three months or so. I used to love reading as a kid, but high school killed that for me with over-analyzing so many dry stories that I had no interest in. With the amount of required readings in college, the idea of picking up a book for entertainment just never appealed to me. I'm extremely glad that I'm back into it though. :slight_smile:

16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Have to have read over 20 books- but this is pretty low for me, considering how busy's life been.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    20 books or less? 10 books or less? :grin:

I read regularly, but only small amounts per day. Might average 25 pages a day or so.

Only so much time...

Edit: Though this doesn't count textbooks or research articles.

18. biroautistic

I'm a hyperlexic autistic with an "Upper Extreme" in spelling. Reading, writing, or anything else to do with language just really strikes my fancy. I love writing, and I do that a lot, but it is much more plausible to read wherever I go. Most of my books have been history books, but there are a few old favorites thrown in.

My vote was definitely next to "too many to count"!

19. Thedistra

I read almost daily. Though currently not novels. I tend to be reading manga and fanfiction a lot lately. I don't understand the shame some feel from reading fanfics. Many are written very well and are 250k+ words long.

Shockingly I even beta read for someone.

Anyways I've probably read 10 actually books this year, give or take a few.

20. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Books? I used to be a huge reader in my elementary days, putting me way beyond the levels of my classmates. Now, I'm about equal to them because I don't read as much. I have no shame. Besides sleeping, I'm usually at home for three hours on a relaxed day, and doing school stuff. I have lots of homework, sports, music practice, counseling, training, and I'm going to be starting a job soon. So I really don't have time, except for the novels that are for school. It's only goingto get less possible in college. I read about 5 books a year nowadays.