1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having full control over your own feelings.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by shinji, Nov 19, 2014.

1. shinji

shinji Guest

I've been experimenting the last few days, since i've been somewhat "inspired". Have been playing around with the idea of forcefully "pulling" up emotions, by remembering them (not the situations that caused them) but the actual feeling, the emotion brought.

So far, have had two successful attempts, but then again, seeing as how this is highly individual and somewhat irregular, i can't really be certain of my results.

So my question towards people who might read this is this...

Do you think, if you try... that you can feel angry or sad or happy, relieved, not by something that has happened or is happening right now, but just, by remembering the feeling that said emotions incurred in you?

I'm somewhat failing to explain this correctly, for which i'm sorry.

Think of how actors cry on cue, it's basically the same concept but, with emotions.

Now, now... i know someone random might come here and be, like... "omg, you don't know what you're talking about, or... something". But, try it, tell me if it works for you... Just clear your mind, and remember how you felt, when you were angry, does the feeling of how you felt angry, allow you to feel that same anger again, without even thinking why you were angry in the first place? Or happiness, whatever floats your boat.

In conclusion, discuss pls!

2. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't feel emotions very often, but I'm excellent at lying about them.

3. GCLW

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, I know it's not like a really deep, 100% emotion, but I can feel nervous/excited (I know this because of increased heart rate, dilated pupils etc.) by thinking about my badminton matches in high school. I'm going to try to do that to my doctor and freak him out with a abnormally high blood pressure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. White Knight

I get what you say but I think.. or at least what I understand depending on what I've read... is actors take out the files of emotions and reflect it to the part they play.

You will play very very sad scene... think about lost beloved one or think what you will feel if you lose your mother
    You have to be angry... think the biggest a-holes or the wrongs had done to you.

I think you get the idea.

While not an actor myself, while I am thinking about certain parts of my comic stories I usually get into mood with music.

5. Hexagon

I'm good at calling up emotions. It's probably what makes me such an effective liar. What is more of a challenge, is getting rid of the damn things.

6. shinji

shinji Guest

Okay, basically you grasped the idea, but try it without remembering what happened in the past, but instead... the feeling you were left with. How it affected you. Basically, "cut out" the "memory" part.
    But here you are applying a sad memory to a current situation to force an emotional response. What if the actor doesn't have any sad memories?

To expand on my original idea, do you all think that people with alzheimer's, who can't remember what has happened, but can remember how they felt, can in fact re-live these feelings, by just remembering them?

Following this example, how do you explain anger, sadness, happiness, love to a person who has never felt them?

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I can play any emotion, fairly well, especially when I need to. Now, actually feeling them, that requires a little work. Some are more difficult to summon than others, in my experiences. The easiest are anger, apathy, or amusement. The most difficult are happiness and, surprisingly, depression. I, usually always, when going on a path to depression, wind up apathetic or angry instead.

I can dismiss almost any emotion, except anger and apathy. Those two, are rather stubborn, and cling to my being like debris, that you just can't quite shake off. Tidbits will always remain, and gradually clog up your mood. At least, that's how it tends to go, for me.

Now, is it possible to have full control? To a degree. The most extreme of feelings, can make us have a lapse in judgment, perhaps even feel empowered. I know, when extremely happy, that I can be a tad silly, even inconsiderate and blunt. Just like I know, when extremely apathetic, that I can be rather distant and monotone, which can come off as being pretentiously malicious. I'd say, you can control how much of an emotion you feel, but after a certain point, you almost enter a primal, rather impulsive state... or so, that is how it works for me, at times.

8. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Gosh, I wouldn't even want full control.
    I'm on the train of life, and emotions are the fuel that keep the train going. Trying to soil that foil will only result in a horrible traincrash.

I'm a highly gifted actor if need be, but I don't like acting at all.
    Can't remember when I last abused that talent, and I'm glad.

9. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I can cry on command and actually be sad about it and cry even more :lol:

Works with other emotions, too (positive ones are more difficult though). Not sure how it works, kinda like flipping a switch? Like first calm down and clear your mind, then concentrate on a particular emotion and force it into reality.

10. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Ok, so just for understanding.
    Topic here, are emotions. Plus if one is able to feel sad by simply remembering this emotion or situation that caused it?

I, personally, find the topic emotion, or just the simple term 'emotion' very confusing....

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't believe anyone can have full control, except maybe sociopaths or others who lack some emotions.

12. shinji

shinji Guest

Everyone is a sociopath, it's just that some hide is too well, even from themselves. As if it is something that does not exist.

It's why during our growing years, everyone around us is trying to force the idea of "normal" in our brains, by today's standards, which by the way... change quite often.

So therefore, i understand your idea but can not agree with it. Everyone has the potential to do this, as long as they try hard enough.

Was debating about going into extensive argument about schizophrenia, decided to not go too far off topic.

13. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

I've been to busy suppressing and burying them to actually get around to lying about them...

14. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You keep using the word Sociopath ... I don't think it means what you think it means.

15. cuppycake

If emotions were colors, then I'm made from transparent glass.

I am a little ball of emotions and energy. I'm lively and sensitive and arrogant and mean and curious and inspired and everything you can imagine. I'm extremely impulsive and I can't hide my feelings very well ...

16. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I have any sort of control over my feelings. I just know that when I do feel things, I do so very strongly. So if I'm happy, I'm ecstatic. If I'm sad, I break down. I can experience emotions to the maximum, but I don't think I can control them and force myself to feel a particular thing at any one time.

17. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have anything productive to add, except that I misread the title initially as "having full control over your own felines" and instantly thought that was impossible - no one truely controls felines ^.^

18. Hexagon

:lol:

19. shinji

shinji Guest

Nope...

[YOUTUBE=T9TmmF79Rw0]How to deactivate a cat[/YOUTUBE]